- Mahler — Symphony No. 10 in F-Sharp Minor (Cooke, 1976 version): I. Andante - Adagio
- Mahler — Symphony No. 10 in F-Sharp Minor (Cooke, 1976 version): II. Scherzo: Schnelle Viertel - Plotzlich Viel Langsamer - Gemachliches Landler-Tempo - Tempo
- Mahler — Symphony No. 10 in F-Sharp Minor (Cooke, 1976 version): III. Purgatorio: Allegretto Moderato $0.99 on iTunes
- Mahler — Symphony No. 10 in F-Sharp Minor (Cooke, 1976 version): IV. (Scherzo): Allegro Pesante - Nicht Zu Schnell - Bedeutend Langsamer - Schattenhaft
- Mahler — Symphony No. 10 in F-Sharp Minor (Cooke, 1976 version): V. Finale: Einleitung - Langsam, Schwer - Allegro Moderat O - Andante (Tempo Des Anfanges Der
Notes & Reviews:
Mahler's deeply personal Tenth Symphony deals with death, redemption, and salvation and is seen by many as a farewell to life. Left as a single Adagio plus fragments of four further movements, it was realized for performance by the Mahler / Bruckner expert Deryck Cooke and premiered at the Proms in 1964. Using the well-known Cooke realization, Gianandrea Noseda and the BBC Philharmonic present here a new studio recording of Mahler's Tenth Symphony, which follows their performance at the 2007 Proms. Reviewing the BBC Philharmonic concert, Michael Church wrote, 'Its performance here was masterly, with Noseda letting the textures breathe and grow, and permitting the extraordinary instrumental dramas of the finale to run their vivid course'.
BBC Music Magazine
Gianandrea Noseda coaxes playing from his BBC Philharmonic of unforced beauty. In the interplay between soft dynamics and 'big tone' as Mahler's love of life reasserts itself, Noseda and his orchestra ultimately touch greatness.
Noseda has real Mahlerian credentials. He directed the massive Eighth in Manchester... even before taking up a post with the BBC Philharmonic yet he does not engender from them what might be thought an "authentic" Mahler sound. There is a dearth of neurasthenic edge to the wind sonorities and the strings lack depth.
Noseda conducts with breathtaking dynamism
ReviewsThere are currently no reviews, be the first one!
Menotti: The Consul / Hickox, Bullock, Spoleto Festival
Scott: Concerto for Cello, Symphony no 1 / Watkins, Brabbins
Marsh: Symphonies / Bamert, London Mozart Players
American Classics - Nicolas Flagello, Arnold Rosner
Medtner: Complete Works for Violin and Piano, Vol 2
American Classics - Wheeler: The Construction of Boston
The People United Will Never Be Defeated!
The Dvorak Cycle / Belohlavek/The Prague SO / Symphony No. 7, Slavonic Dances [DVD]
Monteverdi: Fire and Ashes / Hollingworth, I Fagiolini
Works DetailsMahler, Gustav : Symphony no 10 in F sharp major (realization by Deryck Cooke)
- Conductor: Gianandrea Noseda
- Ensemble: BBC Philharmonic Orchestra
- Notes: Studio 7, New Broadcasting House, Manchester, England (08/08/2007-08/10/2007)
- Running Time: 53 min. 31 sec.
- Period Time: Post Romantic
- Form: Orchestral
- Written: 08/13/1964