- Liszt — Symphony No. 9 in D Minor, S. 657 / R376, "Choral": I. Allegro Ma Non Troppo, un Poco Maestoso
- Liszt — Symphony No. 9 in D Minor, S. 657 / R376, "Choral": II. Molto Vivace
- Liszt — Symphony No. 9 in D Minor, S. 657 / R376, "Choral": III. Adagio Molto e Cantabile - Andante Moderato
- Liszt — Symphony No. 9 in D Minor, S. 657 / R376, "Choral": IV. Finale: Presto
Notes & Reviews:
The Naxos comprehensive Liszt Piano Edition continues this month with a remarkable performance of Beethoven's 'Symphony No. 9', transcribed for solo piano by Liszt. Nineteenth century music lovers did not have the luxury of recorded sound, and the closest many listeners could get to Beethoven's symphonies was through Liszt's piano transcriptions. Though they have fallen out of fashion more recently there is no denying the sheer musicianship - and physical strength - required of a performer (or in this case, performers) for such a mammoth undertaking.
ReviewsThere are currently no reviews, be the first one!
Liszt: Complete Piano Music Vol 29 / Kanazawa, Admony
Liszt: Complete Piano Music, Vol 27 / William Wolfram
Saygun: Piano Music / Zeynep Üçbasaran
Toch: Piano Quintet, Violin Sonata no 2, Burlesken, Impromptus, / Spectrum Concerts Berlin
Liszt: Complete Piano Music, V 26 / Franz Liszt Piano Duo
Liszt: Complete Piano Music Vol 25 / Alexandre Dossin
Schoenberg: Chamber Symphony no 2, Die glückliche Hand, Wind Quintet Op 26 / Beesley, Craft, et al
Granados: Piano Music, Vol 10 - In the Village, etc
American Classics - Anderson: Orchestral Music Vol 2 / Leonard Slatkin, BBC Concert Orchestra
Works DetailsLiszt, Franz : Symphony no 9 in D minor after Beethoven for 2 Pianos, S 657
- Performers: Leon McCawley (Piano); Ashley Wass (Piano)
- Notes: Potton Hall, Suffolk, England (01/19/2007-01/21/2007)
- Running Time: 13 min. 39 sec.
- Period Time: Romantic
- Written: 1851