Audio Remasterer: Kevin Reeves.
Liner Note Author: Ashley Kahn.
Photographers: Riccardo Schwamenthal; Lee Tanner; Chuck Stewart.
Arranger: Gary McFarland.
Stan Getz spent much of his career on Verve, and recorded nearly all of his landmarks there, beginning in the early '50s and extending to 1967's Sweet Rain. Therefore, even a two-hour compilation of his best work on Verve will be incomplete and fragmentary at best. The two-disc Gold set, however, tries very hard indeed, and ends up providing a crude summation of what made Getz so special to cool jazz and, later, Brazilian forms. Much of the first disc includes highlights from his co-billed albums, including those with Dizzy Gillespie, Lionel Hampton, J.J. Johnson, and Oscar Peterson, as well as the standouts from his early album projects The Steamer and Focus. The second disc is predominantly Brazilian, beginning with seven cuts from his early-'60s explosion of work that culminated with the pop album hit Getz/Gilberto and its Top Ten single, "The Girl from Ipanema." Later projects with Bill Evans (from 1964) and Herb Alpert (1989) end the compilation with some degree of closure. At best, Gold is a serviceable launching pad to the investigation of a great jazz career. ~ John Bush
ReviewsThere are currently no reviews, be the first one!
- In France (Farrell, Joe)
- Jazz Giants '58 [Bonus Tracks] (Peterson, Oscar)
- People Time: The Complete Recordings [Box] (Barron, Kenny)
- Getz Gilberto Number 2 & 5 (Gilberto, Joao)
- Getz/Gilberto 50 [Bonus Track] (Gilberto, Joao)
- Getz/Gilberto +50 (Gilberto, Joao)
- I Remember You: With Love to Stan and Frank [Digip (Schuur, Diane)
- Take a Chorus Minus B-Flat (Raney, Jimmy)
- Live in Chicago 1988 (Johnson, J.J. (Trombone))
- Getz/Gilberto '76 [Digipak] (Gilberto, Joao)