Fugue - Bach, Shostakovich / Onyx Brass

Album Summary

>Bach, Johann Sebastian : Prelude and Fugue in C major, BWV 846 (The Well-Tempered Clavier, Book 1)
>Shostakovich, Dmitri : Prelude & Fugue for piano no 1 in C major, Op. 87/1
>Bach, Johann Sebastian : Prelude and Fugue for Organ in G major, BWV 541
>Shostakovich, Dmitri : Prelude & Fugue for piano no 3 in G major, Op. 87/3
>Bach, Johann Sebastian : Prelude and Fugue, for keyboard no 10 in E minor (WTC I/10), BWV 855 (BC L89)
>Shostakovich, Dmitri : Prelude & Fugue for piano no 4 in E minor, Op. 87/4
>Bach, Johann Sebastian : Well-Tempered Clavier, Book 1, BWV 846-869
>Shostakovich, Dmitri : Prelude & Fugue for piano no 5 in D major, Op. 87/5
>Bach, Johann Sebastian : Prelude and Fugue, for keyboard no 24 in B minor (WTC I/24), BWV 869 (BC L103)
>Shostakovich, Dmitri : Prelude & Fugue for piano no 6 in B minor, Op. 87/6
>Bach, Johann Sebastian : Prelude and Fugue, for keyboard no 18 in G sharp minor (WTC I/18), BWV 863 (BC L97)
>Shostakovich, Dmitri : Prelude & Fugue for piano no 12 in G sharp minor, Op. 87/12
>Bach, Johann Sebastian : Prelude and Fugue, for keyboard no 22 in B flat minor (WTC II/22), BWV 891 (BC L125)
>Shostakovich, Dmitri : Prelude & Fugue for piano no 15 in D flat major, Op. 87/15
>Bach, Johann Sebastian : Prelude and Fugue in A flat major, BWV 862 (The Well-Tempered Clavier, Book 1)
>Shostakovich, Dmitri : Prelude & Fugue for piano no 17 in A flat major, Op. 87/17
>Bach, Johann Sebastian : Fantasia and Fugue for Organ in G minor, BWV 542 "Great G minor"
>Shostakovich, Dmitri : Prelude & Fugue for piano no 22 in G minor, Op. 87/22
>Bach, Johann Sebastian : Chromatic Fantasia and Fugue in D minor, BWV 903
>Shostakovich, Dmitri : Prelude & Fugue for piano no 24 in D minor, Op. 87/24
Performers Ensemble Composers

Notes & Reviews:

The highly acclaimed brass quintet Onyx Brass make its debut on Chandos with premier recordings of brass ensemble arrangements of fugues by Bach and Shostakovich. "Easily the classiest brass ensemble in Britain", wrote 'BBC Music' magazine recently. Why Bach and Shostakovich? Well, although 200 years of history stand between the two they have much in common. Indeed, Shostakovich is reputed to have memorized Bach's 'Well-tempered Clavier' by the age of fifteen, and composed his own set of twenty-four preludes and fugues round the time of the Bach bicentenary in 1950. Both sets have been transcribed for many different instruments over the years but they are particularly suited to the homogenous sound of a brass ensemble.

Gramophone Magazine
Onyx Brass come alive as responsive individuals most readily in the Shostakovich, The G major Fugue is supremely virtuoso, the E minor resplendent and dramatic, the D major questing and deft.

The Times
Four musicians playing what was conceived for one lessens the impact of the whole but enhances the horizontal line of each of the parts. The brevity of some of the pieces and the brassy timbre makes them sound fanfaronic. This is more true of the Bach than the Shostakovich, whose sometimes tortured harmony sounds thoughtful and well-suited to these arrangements. Two trumpets, horn, trombone and tuba are used. Their tone is clean and the phrasing well shaped, with intelligent application of slurs.



Reviews

There are currently no reviews, be the first one!
Login or Create an Account to write a review
 

Also Purchased



Previous


Next


Works Details

>Bach, Johann Sebastian : Prelude and Fugue in C major, BWV 846 (The Well-Tempered Clavier, Book 1) :: Fugue
  • Performer: David Shute (Tuba)
  • Ensemble: Onyx Brass
  • Notes: All Hallows' Church, Gospel Oak, London, England (06/11/2007-06/13/2007)
  • Running Time: 2 min. 3 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque
  • Written: 1722

>Shostakovich, Dmitri : Prelude & Fugue for piano no 1 in C major, Op. 87/1 :: Fugue
  • Performer: Amos Miller (Trombone)
  • Ensemble: Onyx Brass
  • Notes: All Hallows' Church, Gospel Oak, London, England (06/11/2007-06/13/2007)
  • Running Time: 2 min. 53 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Written: 1950-1951

>Bach, Johann Sebastian : Prelude and Fugue for Organ in G major, BWV 541 :: Fugue
  • Ensemble: Onyx Brass
  • Notes: All Hallows' Church, Gospel Oak, London, England (06/11/2007-06/13/2007)
  • Running Time: 4 min. sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque
  • Written: after 1712

>Shostakovich, Dmitri : Prelude & Fugue for piano no 3 in G major, Op. 87/3 :: Fugue
  • Performer: Andrew Sutton (French Horn)
  • Ensemble: Onyx Brass
  • Notes: All Hallows' Church, Gospel Oak, London, England (06/11/2007-06/13/2007)
  • Running Time: 2 min. 13 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Written: 1950-1951

>Bach, Johann Sebastian : Prelude and Fugue, for keyboard no 10 in E minor (WTC I/10), BWV 855 (BC L89) :: Fugue
  • Performer: Amos Miller (Trombone)
  • Ensemble: Onyx Brass
  • Notes: All Hallows' Church, Gospel Oak, London, England (06/11/2007-06/13/2007)
  • Running Time: 1 min. 43 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque
  • Written: 1722

>Shostakovich, Dmitri : Prelude & Fugue for piano no 4 in E minor, Op. 87/4 :: Fugue
  • Performer: Niall Keatley (Trumpet)
  • Ensemble: Onyx Brass
  • Notes: All Hallows' Church, Gospel Oak, London, England (06/11/2007-06/13/2007)
  • Running Time: 5 min. 6 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Written: 1950-1951

>Bach, Johann Sebastian : Well-Tempered Clavier, Book 1, BWV 846-869 :: no 5 in D major, BWV 850, Fugue
  • Performer: Niall Keatley (Trumpet)
  • Ensemble: Onyx Brass
  • Notes: All Hallows' Church, Gospel Oak, London, England (06/11/2007-06/13/2007)
  • Running Time: 2 min. 8 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque
  • Written: 1722

>Shostakovich, Dmitri : Prelude & Fugue for piano no 5 in D major, Op. 87/5 :: Fugue
  • Performer: Amos Miller (Trombone)
  • Ensemble: Onyx Brass
  • Notes: All Hallows' Church, Gospel Oak, London, England (06/11/2007-06/13/2007)
  • Running Time: 2 min. 9 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Written: 1950-1951

>Bach, Johann Sebastian : Prelude and Fugue, for keyboard no 24 in B minor (WTC I/24), BWV 869 (BC L103) :: Fugue
  • Performer: Niall Keatley (Trumpet)
  • Ensemble: Onyx Brass
  • Notes: All Hallows' Church, Gospel Oak, London, England (06/11/2007-06/13/2007)
  • Running Time: 5 min. 23 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque
  • Written: 1722

>Shostakovich, Dmitri : Prelude & Fugue for piano no 6 in B minor, Op. 87/6 :: Fugue
  • Performer: Amos Miller (Trombone)
  • Ensemble: Onyx Brass
  • Notes: All Hallows' Church, Gospel Oak, London, England (06/11/2007-06/13/2007)
  • Running Time: 5 min. 5 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Written: 1950-1951

>Bach, Johann Sebastian : Prelude and Fugue, for keyboard no 18 in G sharp minor (WTC I/18), BWV 863 (BC L97) :: Fugue
  • Ensemble: Onyx Brass
  • Notes: All Hallows' Church, Gospel Oak, London, England (06/11/2007-06/13/2007)
  • Running Time: 2 min. 46 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque
  • Written: 1722

>Shostakovich, Dmitri : Prelude & Fugue for piano no 12 in G sharp minor, Op. 87/12 :: Fugue
  • Ensemble: Onyx Brass
  • Notes: All Hallows' Church, Gospel Oak, London, England (06/11/2007-06/13/2007)
  • Running Time: 4 min. 28 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Written: 1950-1951

>Bach, Johann Sebastian : Prelude and Fugue, for keyboard no 22 in B flat minor (WTC II/22), BWV 891 (BC L125) :: Fugue
  • Performer: David Shute (Tuba)
  • Ensemble: Onyx Brass
  • Notes: All Hallows' Church, Gospel Oak, London, England (06/11/2007-06/13/2007)
  • Running Time: 3 min. 34 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque
  • Written: 1740

>Shostakovich, Dmitri : Prelude & Fugue for piano no 15 in D flat major, Op. 87/15 :: Fugue
  • Performer: Brian Thomson (Trumpet)
  • Ensemble: Onyx Brass
  • Notes: All Hallows' Church, Gospel Oak, London, England (06/11/2007-06/13/2007)
  • Running Time: 2 min. 9 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Written: 1950-1951

>Bach, Johann Sebastian : Prelude and Fugue in A flat major, BWV 862 (The Well-Tempered Clavier, Book 1) :: Fugue
  • Performer: David Shute (Tuba)
  • Ensemble: Onyx Brass
  • Notes: All Hallows' Church, Gospel Oak, London, England (06/11/2007-06/13/2007)
  • Running Time: 1 min. 56 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque
  • Written: 1722

>Shostakovich, Dmitri : Prelude & Fugue for piano no 17 in A flat major, Op. 87/17 :: Fugue
  • Performer: Brian Thomson (Trumpet)
  • Ensemble: Onyx Brass
  • Notes: All Hallows' Church, Gospel Oak, London, England (06/11/2007-06/13/2007)
  • Running Time: 3 min. 54 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Written: 1950-1951

>Bach, Johann Sebastian : Fantasia and Fugue for Organ in G minor, BWV 542 "Great G minor" :: Fugue
  • Ensemble: Onyx Brass
  • Notes: All Hallows' Church, Gospel Oak, London, England (06/11/2007-06/13/2007)
  • Running Time: 5 min. 31 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque
  • Written: by 1725

>Shostakovich, Dmitri : Prelude & Fugue for piano no 22 in G minor, Op. 87/22 :: Fugue
  • Performer: Andrew Sutton (French Horn)
  • Ensemble: Onyx Brass
  • Notes: All Hallows' Church, Gospel Oak, London, England (06/11/2007-06/13/2007)
  • Running Time: 4 min. 21 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Written: 1950-1951

>Bach, Johann Sebastian : Chromatic Fantasia and Fugue in D minor, BWV 903 :: Fugue
  • Performer: Amos Miller (Trombone)
  • Ensemble: Onyx Brass
  • Notes: All Hallows' Church, Gospel Oak, London, England (06/11/2007-06/13/2007)
  • Running Time: 5 min. 35 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque
  • Written: by 1723

>Shostakovich, Dmitri : Prelude & Fugue for piano no 24 in D minor, Op. 87/24 :: Fugue
  • Performer: Brian Thomson (Trumpet)
  • Ensemble: Onyx Brass
  • Notes: All Hallows' Church, Gospel Oak, London, England (06/11/2007-06/13/2007)
  • Running Time: 6 min. 29 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Written: 1950-1951