1 800 222 6872

Un Frisson Français - A century of French song / Susan Graham, Malcolm Martineau

Audio Samples

>Bizet, Georges : Chanson d'avril
>     "Lève-toi! lève-toi!", song for voice & piano (Vingt mélodies no 1)
>Franck, César : Nocturne, M 85
>Lalo, Edouard : Guitare, Op. 28
>Gounod, Charles : Au rossignol
>Saint-Saëns, Camille : Danse macabre
>Chabrier, Emmanuel : Mélodies (6) for voice and piano
>     Les Cigales
>Paladilhe, Emile : Psyché
>Chausson, Ernest : Mélodies (7), Op. 2
>Bachelet, Alfred : Chère nuit
>Duparc, Henri : Au pays où se fait la guerre
>Ravel, Maurice : La paon
>Caplet, Andre : Le Corbeau et la Renard for voice & piano
>Roussel, Albert : Poèmes chinois (2), Op. 35
>     Réponse d'une épouse sage
>MessiaenOlivier : Melodies (3), for soprano & piano, I/4
>     La Fiancée perdue
>Debussy, Claude : Fêtes galantes, Set 2
>Fauré, Gabriel : Vocalise-étude
>Hahn, Reynaldo [Composer] : A Chloris, for voice & piano (from "Melodies, Book II")
>Satie, Erik : Melodies (3)
>     Le Chapelier
>Honegger, Arthur : Chansons de "La Petit Sirene" d'Anderson (3), songs for voice & string quartet (or piano), H. 63
>Canteloube, Joseph : Brezairola
>Rosenthal, Manuel : Les souris d'Angleterre, for voice & piano
>Poulenc, Francis : La dame de Monte Carlo, monologue lyrique for soprano & orchestra, FP 180

Album Summary

>Bizet, Georges : Chanson d'avril
>Franck, César : Nocturne, M 85
>Lalo, Edouard : Guitare, Op. 28
>Gounod, Charles : Au rossignol
>Saint-Saëns, Camille : Danse macabre
>Chabrier, Emmanuel : Mélodies (6) for voice and piano
>Paladilhe, Emile : Psyché
>Chausson, Ernest : Mélodies (7), Op. 2
>Bachelet, Alfred : Chère nuit
>Duparc, Henri : Au pays où se fait la guerre
>Ravel, Maurice : La paon
>Caplet, Andre : Le Corbeau et la Renard for voice & piano
>Roussel, Albert : Poèmes chinois (2), Op. 35
>MessiaenOlivier : Melodies (3), for soprano & piano, I/4
>Debussy, Claude : Fêtes galantes, Set 2
>Fauré, Gabriel : Vocalise-étude
>Hahn, Reynaldo [Composer] : A Chloris, for voice & piano (from "Melodies, Book II")
>Satie, Erik : Melodies (3)
>Honegger, Arthur : Chansons de "La Petit Sirene" d'Anderson (3), songs for voice & string quartet (or piano), H. 63
>Canteloube, Joseph : Brezairola
>Rosenthal, Manuel : Les souris d'Angleterre, for voice & piano
>Poulenc, Francis : La dame de Monte Carlo, monologue lyrique for soprano & orchestra, FP 180
Performers Composers

Notes & Reviews:

The mezzo Susan Graham is truly one of the great singers of our time. A dedicated Francophile and expert in French music, Graham was decorated by the French government as a "Commandeur dans l'Ordre des Arts et des Lettres." This month marks her recording debut for Onyx Classics with a disc featuring twenty-two of her favorite French songs. 'Un Frisson Francais' is a perfect introduction to this rich, sensuous musical world. The Financial Times said of their Wigmore Hall recital, "There were many delights in the course of the evening... and Honegger's miniature 'Trois Chansons de la petite sirene', accompanied with inimitable elegance by Malcolm Martineau, made a particularly welcome discovery."



Reviews

There are currently no reviews, be the first one!
Login or Create an Account to write a review
 

Also Purchased



Previous


Next


Works Details

>Bizet, Georges : Chanson d'avril :: "Lève-toi! lève-toi!", song for voice & piano (Vingt mélodies no 1)
  • Performers: Susan Graham (Mezzo-soprano); Malcolm Martineau (Piano)
  • Running Time: 2 min. 32 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Written: 1866

>César Franck (1822 - 1890) : Nocturne, M 85
  • Performers: Malcolm Martineau (Piano); Susan Graham (Mezzo-soprano)
  • Running Time: 3 min. 48 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Written: 1884

>Lalo, Edouard : Guitare, Op. 28
  • Performers: Susan Graham (Mezzo-soprano); Malcolm Martineau (Piano)
  • Running Time: 1 min. 42 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Written: 1882

>Gounod, Charles : Au rossignol
  • Performers: Malcolm Martineau (Piano); Susan Graham (Mezzo-soprano)
  • Running Time: 4 min. 47 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic

>Camille Saint-Saëns (1835 - 1921) : Danse macabre
  • Performers: Malcolm Martineau (Piano); Susan Graham (Mezzo-soprano)
  • Running Time: 2 min. 6 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Written: 1872

>Chabrier, Emmanuel : Mélodies (6) for voice and piano :: Les Cigales
  • Performers: Malcolm Martineau (Piano); Susan Graham (Mezzo-soprano)
  • Running Time: 3 min. 45 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Written: 1890

>Paladilhe, Emile : Psyché
  • Performers: Malcolm Martineau (Piano); Susan Graham (Mezzo-soprano)
  • Running Time: 3 min. 12 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic

>Chausson, Ernest : Mélodies (7), Op. 2
  • Performers: Malcolm Martineau (Piano); Susan Graham (Mezzo-soprano)
  • Running Time: 1 min. 23 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Written: 1880

>Bachelet, Alfred : Chère nuit
  • Performers: Malcolm Martineau (Piano); Susan Graham (Mezzo-soprano)
  • Running Time: 5 min. 30 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Written: 1897

>Duparc, Henri : Au pays où se fait la guerre
  • Performers: Susan Graham (Mezzo-soprano); Malcolm Martineau (Piano)
  • Running Time: 5 min. 19 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Written: ?1869-70

>Ravel, Maurice : La paon
  • Performers: Susan Graham (Mezzo-soprano); Malcolm Martineau (Piano)
  • Running Time: 4 min. 59 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Written: 1906

>André Caplet (1878 - 1925) : Le Corbeau et la Renard for voice & piano
  • Performers: Malcolm Martineau (Piano); Susan Graham (Mezzo-soprano)
  • Running Time: 3 min. 40 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern

>Roussel, Albert : Poèmes chinois (2), Op. 35 :: Réponse d'une épouse sage
  • Performers: Malcolm Martineau (Piano); Susan Graham (Mezzo-soprano)
  • Running Time: 3 min. 21 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Written: 1927

>MessiaenOlivier : Mélodies (3), for soprano & piano, I/4 :: La Fiancée perdue
  • Performers: Malcolm Martineau (Piano); Susan Graham (Mezzo-soprano)
  • Running Time: 2 min. 40 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Written: 1930

>Debussy, Claude : Fêtes galantes, Set 2
  • Performers: Malcolm Martineau (Piano); Susan Graham (Mezzo-soprano)
  • Running Time: 4 min. 9 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Written: 1904

>Gabriel Fauré (1845 - 1924) : Vocalise-étude
  • Performers: Malcolm Martineau (Piano); Susan Graham (Mezzo-soprano)
  • Running Time: 3 min. 19 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Form: Vocal
  • Written: 1906

>Hahn, Reynaldo [Composer] : A Chloris, for voice & piano (from "Melodies, Book II")
  • Performers: Susan Graham (Mezzo-soprano); Malcolm Martineau (Piano)
  • Running Time: 3 min. 20 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Form: Choral
  • Written: 1913

>Satie, Erik : Mélodies (3) :: Le Chapelier
  • Performers: Malcolm Martineau (Piano); Susan Graham (Mezzo-soprano)
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Written: 1916

>Honegger, Arthur : Chansons de "La Petit Sirène" d'Anderson (3), songs for voice & string quartet (or piano), H. 63
  • Performers: Malcolm Martineau (Piano); Susan Graham (Mezzo-soprano)
  • Running Time: 2 min. 14 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Written: 1926

>Canteloube, Joseph : Brezairola
  • Performers: Malcolm Martineau (Piano); Susan Graham (Mezzo-soprano)
  • Running Time: 4 min. 3 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Written: 1923-1930

>Rosenthal, Manuel : Les souris d'Angleterre, for voice & piano
  • Performers: Malcolm Martineau (Piano); Susan Graham (Mezzo-soprano)
  • Running Time: 2 min. 56 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Written: 1934

>Poulenc, Francis : La dame de Monte Carlo, monologue lyrique for soprano & orchestra, FP 180
  • Performers: Susan Graham (Mezzo-soprano); Malcolm Martineau (Piano)
  • Running Time: 7 min. sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Written: 1961