1 800 222 6872

Transfigured Beethoven - Transcriptions by Heller, Friedman, etc / Petronel Malan

Album Summary

>Heller, Stephen : Variations (33) on a Theme of Beethoven for piano, Op. 130
>Sgambati, Giovanni : Minuetto von Beethoven, for piano in G flat major
>Kalkbrenner, Frédéric : Fantasia for the Piano on Beethoven's Celebrated Waltz, Op. 118 (after Beethoven's "Sehnsuchtswalzer
>Isidor, Seiss : German Dances (3), for piano (after Beethoven's 12 German Dances, WoO 8)
>Raff, Joachim : Romance for piano no 1, WoO 11 (after Beethoven's Romance for violin, Op. 40)
>Tausig, Carl : Adagio, for piano (after Beethoven's Adagio molto e mesto from String Quartet Op. 59/1)
>Tausig, Carl : Scherzo, for piano (after Beethoven's Allegro appasionato from String Quartet Op. 59/2)
>Tausig, Carl : Andante, for piano (after Beethoven's Andante con moto quasi Allegretto from String Quartet Op. 59/3
>Tausig, Carl : Kavatine, for piano (after Beethoven's Adagio molto espressivo from String Quartet Op. 130)
>Friedman, Ignaz : Ecossaises, for piano (after Beethoven's Ecossaises, WoO 83)
Performer Composers
  • >
  • >
  • >
  • >
  • >
  • >
  • >

Notes & Reviews:

The 'Transfigured' series has been the focus of South African pianist Petronel Malan and provides a singular perspective on music history. The theme of each volume has been to focus on how composers of later generations have re-envisioned the works of a master - in this case, Beethoven.

Gramophone Magazine
I enjoyed Ms Malan's "Transfigured Mozart", despite some reservations about her tone production. I enjoyed even more this equally imaginative programme, one in which the panache and infectious high spirits she brings to the more extrovert pieces are matched by her sensitive handling of some long-breathed transfigured string solos.



Reviews

There are currently no reviews, be the first one!
Login or Create an Account to write a review
 

Also Purchased

Works Details

>Heller, Stephen : Variations (33) on a Theme of Beethoven for piano, Op. 130
  • Performer: Petronel Malan (Piano)
  • Notes: FWL Studios, Apelsteinallee 7, Leipzig, Germany (05/23/2008-05/24/2008)
  • Running Time: 17 min. 39 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic

>Sgambati, Giovanni : Minuetto von Beethoven, for piano in G flat major
  • Performer: Petronel Malan (Piano)
  • Notes: FWL Studios, Apelsteinallee 7, Leipzig, Germany (05/23/2008-05/24/2008)
  • Running Time: 5 min. sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic

>Frédéric Kalkbrenner (1785 - 1849) : Fantasia for the Piano on Beethoven's Celebrated Waltz, Op. 118 (after Beethoven's "Sehnsuchtswalzer
  • Performer: Petronel Malan (Piano)
  • Notes: FWL Studios, Apelsteinallee 7, Leipzig, Germany (05/23/2008-05/24/2008)
  • Running Time: 8 min. 20 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic

>Isidor, Seiss : German Dances (3), for piano (after Beethoven's 12 German Dances, WoO 8)
  • Performer: Petronel Malan (Piano)
  • Notes: FWL Studios, Apelsteinallee 7, Leipzig, Germany (05/23/2008-05/24/2008)
  • Running Time: 9 min. 22 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic

>Raff, Joachim : Romance for piano no 1, WoO 11 (after Beethoven's Romance for violin, Op. 40)
  • Performer: Petronel Malan (Piano)
  • Notes: FWL Studios, Apelsteinallee 7, Leipzig, Germany (05/23/2008-05/24/2008)
  • Running Time: 5 min. 44 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic

>Tausig, Carl : Adagio, for piano (after Beethoven's Adagio molto e mesto from String Quartet Op. 59/1)
  • Performer: Petronel Malan (Piano)
  • Notes: FWL Studios, Apelsteinallee 7, Leipzig, Germany (05/23/2008-05/24/2008)
  • Running Time: 9 min. 46 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic

>Tausig, Carl : Scherzo, for piano (after Beethoven's Allegro appasionato from String Quartet Op. 59/2)
  • Performer: Petronel Malan (Piano)
  • Notes: FWL Studios, Apelsteinallee 7, Leipzig, Germany (05/23/2008-05/24/2008)
  • Running Time: 5 min. 12 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic

>Tausig, Carl : Andante, for piano (after Beethoven's Andante con moto quasi Allegretto from String Quartet Op. 59/3
  • Performer: Petronel Malan (Piano)
  • Notes: FWL Studios, Apelsteinallee 7, Leipzig, Germany (05/23/2008-05/24/2008)
  • Running Time: 8 min. 23 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic

>Tausig, Carl : Kavatine, for piano (after Beethoven's Adagio molto espressivo from String Quartet Op. 130)
  • Performer: Petronel Malan (Piano)
  • Notes: FWL Studios, Apelsteinallee 7, Leipzig, Germany (05/23/2008-05/24/2008)
  • Running Time: 6 min. 37 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic

>Friedman, Ignaz : Ecossaises, for piano (after Beethoven's Ecossaises, WoO 83)
  • Performer: Petronel Malan (Piano)
  • Notes: FWL Studios, Apelsteinallee 7, Leipzig, Germany (05/23/2008-05/24/2008)
  • Running Time: 2 min. 23 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern