1 800 222 6872

Sweelinck: Keyboard Works Vol 2 / Robert Woolley

Album Summary

>Sweelinck, Jan Pieterszoon : Toccata Noni Toni, for keyboard, SwWV 297
>Sweelinck, Jan Pieterszoon : Est-ce Mars, variations for keyboard, SwWV 321
>Sweelinck, Jan Pieterszoon : Pavana Lachrymae for keyboard (after Dowland's "Flow My Teares"), SwWV 328
>Sweelinck, Jan Pieterszoon : More Palatino, variations for keyboard ("Almand Gratie;" attributed to Sweelinck), SwWV 318
>Sweelinck, Jan Pieterszoon : Toccata for organ no 3 in C major (2 versions), SwWV 284
>Sweelinck, Jan Pieterszoon : Vluchtige nimph, variations for keyboard ("Windeken daer het bosch af drilt;" attributed to Sweelinc
>Sweelinck, Jan Pieterszoon : Toccata for keyboard no 2 in D minor, SwWV 286
>Sweelinck, Jan Pieterszoon : Mein junges Leben hat ein End, variations for keyboard, SwWV 324
>Sweelinck, Jan Pieterszoon : Toccata for keyboard no 2 in G major, SwWV 289
>Sweelinck, Jan Pieterszoon : Pavana Philippi for keyboard (after Peter Philips), SwWV 329
>Sweelinck, Jan Pieterszoon : Toccata Secundi Toni, for keyboard, SwWV 292
>Sweelinck, Jan Pieterszoon : Engelse fortuin, variations for keyboard ("Von der Fortuna werd ich getrieben"), SwWV 320
>Sweelinck, Jan Pieterszoon : Onder een linde groen (Unter der Linden grüne), variations for keyboard (2 versions). SwWV 325
>Sweelinck, Jan Pieterszoon : Fantasia Chromatica, for keyboard "Dorian", SwWV 258
Performers Composer

Notes & Reviews:

'Gramophone' wrote of the first volume in this series, "Those who have encountered the supreme artistry of this composer at his best will relish the clarity of voicing and judicious registrations". As well as being one of the most famous organists and teachers of his time, Sweelinck was the last and most important composer of the musically rich Golden Era of The Netherlands.

Gramophone Classical Music Guide
What a fine composer Sweelinck was! This volume drives the point home by presenting several of his best compositions, including the imaginatively patterned variations on Esce mars and Unterder Linden grune, the weighty and implacable Fantasia crommatica (how Bach would surely have admired this piece) and the hauntingly beautiful variations on Mein junges Leben hat ein Endt.

Other works here include a take on Peter Philips's Pavana dolorosa, a lovingly plumped-up version of Dowland's Lachrymae, and a handful of improvisatory toccatas. Sweelinck brings together in his music many of the influences current in the first years of the 17th century - Italian flair, north European seriousness, English resonance and melodic grace - and makes of them a rich and rewarding brew, maintaining coherence by the force of his own good taste and sound compositional judgement.

Robert Woolley switches between two marvellous harpsichords - Malcolm Rose's currently much-in-demand copy of the Victoria and Albert Museum's 1579 Theewes claviorganum, and a deep and mellow copy by Derek Adlam of a 1611 Ruckers virginals. His playing, too, covers most bases. Without forcing the pace, he shows brilliant fingerwork in Esce mars or a piece like the Toccata C2, and achieves clarity and composure in the more melodically driven works. The toccatas occupy a convincing middle ground between the improvisatory and the written- out in feel, and tempi are for the most part expertly judged. In other words, these are pleasingly natural performances. There is not much competition in the world of Sweelinck recordings, but this stands out as an excellent harpsichord release in its own right.

Gramophone Magazine
A rich, rewarding brew of imaginative harpsichord music, expertly played. ... these are pleasingly natural performances. There is not much competition in the world of Sweelinck recordings, but this stands out as an excellent harpsichord release in its own right.

Notes & Reviews:

Recording information: Glynde Church, East Sussex (10/20/2006-10/21/2006).



Reviews

There are currently no reviews, be the first one!
Login or Create an Account to write a review
 

Also Purchased

Works Details

>Sweelinck, Jan Pieterszoon : Toccata Noni Toni, for keyboard, SwWV 297
  • Performer: Robert Woolley (Harpsichord)
  • Notes: Glynde Church, East Sussex (10/20/2006-10/21/2006)
  • Running Time: 5 min. 19 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque

>Sweelinck, Jan Pieterszoon : Est-ce Mars, variations for keyboard, SwWV 321
  • Performer: Robert Woolley (Harpsichord)
  • Notes: Glynde Church, East Sussex (10/20/2006-10/21/2006)
  • Running Time: 4 min. 33 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque

>Sweelinck, Jan Pieterszoon : Pavana Lachrymae for keyboard (after Dowland's "Flow My Teares"), SwWV 328
  • Performer: Robert Woolley (Virginal)
  • Notes: Glynde Church, East Sussex (10/20/2006-10/21/2006)
  • Running Time: 5 min. 20 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque

>Sweelinck, Jan Pieterszoon : More Palatino, variations for keyboard ("Almand Gratie;" attributed to Sweelinck), SwWV 318
  • Performer: Robert Woolley (Virginal)
  • Notes: Glynde Church, East Sussex (10/20/2006-10/21/2006)
  • Running Time: 3 min. 52 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque

>Sweelinck, Jan Pieterszoon : Toccata for organ no 3 in C major (2 versions), SwWV 284
  • Performer: Robert Woolley (Harpsichord)
  • Notes: Glynde Church, East Sussex (10/20/2006-10/21/2006)
  • Running Time: 3 min. 28 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque

>Sweelinck, Jan Pieterszoon : Vluchtige nimph, variations for keyboard ("Windeken daer het bosch af drilt;" attributed to Sweelinc
  • Performer: Robert Woolley (Harpsichord)
  • Notes: Glynde Church, East Sussex (10/20/2006-10/21/2006)
  • Running Time: 2 min. 8 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque

>Sweelinck, Jan Pieterszoon : Toccata for keyboard no 2 in D minor, SwWV 286
  • Performer: Robert Woolley (Harpsichord)
  • Notes: Glynde Church, East Sussex (10/20/2006-10/21/2006)
  • Running Time: 3 min. 55 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque

>Sweelinck, Jan Pieterszoon : Mein junges Leben hat ein End, variations for keyboard, SwWV 324
  • Performer: Robert Woolley (Harpsichord)
  • Notes: Glynde Church, East Sussex (10/20/2006-10/21/2006)
  • Running Time: 6 min. 24 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque

>Sweelinck, Jan Pieterszoon : Toccata for keyboard no 2 in G major, SwWV 289
  • Performer: Robert Woolley (Harpsichord)
  • Notes: Glynde Church, East Sussex (10/20/2006-10/21/2006)
  • Running Time: 2 min. 17 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque

>Sweelinck, Jan Pieterszoon : Pavana Philippi for keyboard (after Peter Philips), SwWV 329
  • Performer: Robert Woolley (Harpsichord)
  • Notes: Glynde Church, East Sussex (10/20/2006-10/21/2006)
  • Running Time: 7 min. 2 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque

>Sweelinck, Jan Pieterszoon : Toccata Secundi Toni, for keyboard, SwWV 292
  • Performer: Robert Woolley (Virginal)
  • Notes: Glynde Church, East Sussex (10/20/2006-10/21/2006)
  • Running Time: 2 min. 38 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque

>Sweelinck, Jan Pieterszoon : Engelse fortuin, variations for keyboard ("Von der Fortuna werd ich getrieben"), SwWV 320
  • Performer: Robert Woolley (Virginal)
  • Notes: Glynde Church, East Sussex (10/20/2006-10/21/2006)
  • Running Time: 3 min. 12 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque

>Sweelinck, Jan Pieterszoon : Onder een linde groen (Unter der Linden grüne), variations for keyboard (2 versions). SwWV 325
  • Performer: Robert Woolley (Virginal)
  • Notes: Glynde Church, East Sussex (10/20/2006-10/21/2006)
  • Running Time: 5 min. 21 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque

>Sweelinck, Jan Pieterszoon : Fantasia Chromatica, for keyboard "Dorian", SwWV 258
  • Performer: Robert Woolley (Virginal)
  • Notes: Glynde Church, East Sussex (10/20/2006-10/21/2006)
  • Running Time: 8 min. 4 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque