- CSO Resound - Mahler — Symphony No. 1 In D Major, "Titan": I. Langsam, Schleppend
- CSO Resound - Mahler — Symphony No. 1 In D Major, "Titan": II. Kraftig Bewegt, Doch Nicht Zu Schnell $0.99 on iTunes
- CSO Resound - Mahler — Symphony No. 1 In D Major, "Titan": III. Feierlich Und Gemessen, Ohne Zu Schleppen
- CSO Resound - Mahler — Symphony No. 1 In D Major, "Titan": IV. Sturmisch Bewegt
Notes & Reviews:
An expert interpreter of Mahler's symphonies, CSO Principal Conductor Bernard Haitink leads the triumphant first symphony, the work that introduced Mahler's staggering talent to the public. According to the Chicago Tribune, "Haitink's reading was warmly expansive and beautifully played." The Chicago Sun-Times noted, "Haitink and the CSO demonstrated confidence, vigor and ease... and brought the capacity crowd to its feet for a five-minute series of ovations."
"This live-ish Mahler from Bernard Haitink and the Chicago Symphony Orchestra will make patrons of less well-appointed orchestras spit with envy. From the crisp off-stage brass and silky pastoralia of the first movement to the heel-of-the-bow "Ländler", this is a typically blemish-free, measured performance. Alas, there's a fine line between perfection and blandness, though a cataclysmic "Stürmisch bewegt" should rouse the drowsiest listener." -The Independent
"There have been several changes in [Haitink's] interpretation since then; what hasn’t changed is the attention to detail and consummate musicianship on display... Haitink proves in recording after recording that he is at the pinnacle of current Mahler interpretation... This is an interpretation that manages to sound even more convincingly fresh and innovative, doing full justice to Mahler’s audacious symphonic 'Titan'." -Fanfare
ReviewsThere are currently no reviews, be the first one!
Gustav Mahler: Symphony no 2 / Gustav Mahler, et al
The Art of Dimitri Mitropoulos Vol. 2 - Broadcast Performances 1945-1955 - Mahler, Bach, et al
Beethoven: Symphony no 7; Rossini, etc / Fischer, et al
Maureen Forrester - Mahler, et al / Walter, NYPO, et al
Mahler: Symphony no 2 / Luisi, Oelze, Fujimura, et al
I was like Wow! / Jörgen van Rijen
Brahms: Symphony no 1, Variations on a Theme by Haydn, etc / Fischer, et al
Mahler: Symphony no 1 in D major / Nott, Bamberg SO
Vince Guaraldi Trio/Vince Guaraldi: Essential Standards
Works DetailsMahler, Gustav : Symphony no 1 in D major "Titan"
- Conductor: Bernard Haitink
- Ensemble: Chicago Symphony Orchestra
- Notes: Orchestra Hall (05/01/2008-05/02/2008)
- Running Time: 57 min. 39 sec.
- Period Time: Post Romantic
- Form: Orchestral
- Written: ?/?1884-03/1888
- Studio/Live: Live