1 800 222 6872

The Best of John Dowland

You may experience problems playing the sound clips on this page. We are aware of this problem and are working on it.
> Book of Songs, Book 2: Flow, my tears, fall from your springs - Flow my tears
> Fantasia in G minor, P. 7 - 7 Fantasies: No. 7. Fantasia in G minor, P. 7
> Solus cum sola, P. 10 - Solus cum sola, P. 10
> Book of Songs, Book 1: Come again, sweet love doth now invite - Come again: Sweet love doth now invite
> Mr. John Langton's Pavan, H. 10 - Mr. John Langton's Pavan
> Round Battle Galliard, P. 39 - Round Battle Galliard, P. 39
> Book of Songs, Book 3: Say, Love, if ever thou didst find - Say Love if ever thou did'st find
> The Most Sacred Queen Elizabeth, her Galliard, P. 41 - The Most Sacred Queen Elizabeth, her Galliard, P. 41
> Semper Dowland semper dolens, P. 9 - Semper Dowland semper dolens, P. 9
> Book of Songs, Book 1: All ye whom love or fortune hath betrayed - All ye whom love or fortune hath betrayed
> The King of Denmark's Galiard, H. 11 - The King of Denmark's Galiard
> Lady Laiton's Almain, P. 48 - Lady Laiton's Almain, P. 48
> The Right Honourable the Lord Viscount Lisle, His Galliard, P. 38 - The Right Honourable the Lord Viscount Lisle, his Galliard, P. 91, "Sir Robert Sidney's Galliard"
> Book of Songs, Book 4, "A Pilgrimes Solace": In darkness let me dwell - In darkness let me dwell
> Lachrimae Pavan - Lachrimae Pavan, P. 15
> Book of Songs, Book 2: I saw my lady weep - I saw my lady weep
> Book of Songs, Book 1: Burst forth, my tears - Burst forth, my tears
> 7 Fantasies, P. 4-3 - 7 Fantasies: No. 3. Farewell, P. 3

Album Summary

>Dowland, John [Composer] : Flow, my tears, fall from your springs, for 2 voices & lute (Second Book of Songs)
>Dowland, John [Composer] : Fantasia, for lute in G minor, P 7
>Dowland, John [Composer] : Solus cum sola, pavan for lute, P 10
>Dowland, John [Composer] : Come again, sweet love doth now invite, for 4 voices & lute (First Book of Songs)
>Dowland, John [Composer] : Mr John Langton's Pavan, for lute, P 14
>Dowland, John [Composer] : Round Battle Galliard, for lute, P 39
>Dowland, John [Composer] : Say, Love if ever thou didst find, for 4 voices & lute (Third Book of Songs)
>Dowland, John [Composer] : The Most Sacred Queen Elizabeth, her Galliard (Katherine Darcy's Galliard), for lute, P 41
>Dowland, John [Composer] : Semper Dowland semper dolens, pavan for lute, P 9
>Dowland, John [Composer] : All ye whom love or fortune hath betrayed (First Book of Songs), for 4 voices & lute
>Dowland, John [Composer] : The King of Denmark, his Galliard, for lute, P 40
>Dowland, John [Composer] : Lady Laiton's Almain, for lute, P 48
>Dowland, John [Composer] : The Right Honourable Lord Viscount Lisle (Sir Robert Sidney, his galliard), for lute, P 38 (A Musica
>Dowland, John [Composer] : In darkness let me dwell, for voice, lute & bass viol (A Musicall Banquet)
>Dowland, John [Composer] : Lachrimae, for lute, P 15
>Dowland, John [Composer] : I saw my lady weep, for 2 voices & lute (Second Book of Song)
>Dowland, John [Composer] : Burst forth, my tears, for 4 voices & lute (First Book of Songs)
>Dowland, John [Composer] : Farewell Fancy (Chromatic fantasia), for lute, P 3
Performers Ensemble Composer

Notes & Reviews:

The Renaissance composer John Dowland (1563–1626) was the foremost lutenist and lute song composer of his generation. While renowned as the master of musical melancholy, he was reputedly a cheerful man, though disappointed by his long failure to find employment at the English court. Dowland penned some of the most enduringly beautiful music of his age, his subtly masterful songs, lute pieces and consort music retaining their freshness and emotional power almost four centuries after his death.



Reviews

There are currently no reviews, be the first one!
Login or Create an Account to write a review
 

Also Purchased



Previous


Next


Works Details

>Dowland, John [Composer] : Flow, my tears, fall from your springs, for 2 voices & lute (Second Book of Songs)
  • Performers: Dorothy Linell (Lute); Steven Richards (Countertenor)
  • Running Time: 4 min. 5 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance
  • Written: by 1600

>Dowland, John [Composer] : Fantasia, for lute in G minor, P 7
  • Performer: Nigel North (Lute)
  • Running Time: 5 min. 4 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance

>Dowland, John [Composer] : Solus cum sola, pavan for lute, P 10
  • Performer: Nigel North (Lute)
  • Running Time: 4 min. 39 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance

>Dowland, John [Composer] : Come again, sweet love doth now invite, for 4 voices & lute (First Book of Songs)
  • Performers: Dorothy Linell (Lute); Steven Richards (Countertenor)
  • Running Time: 2 min. 18 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance
  • Written: 1597

>Dowland, John [Composer] : Mr John Langton's Pavan, for lute, P 14
  • Performer: Jacob Heringman (Lute)
  • Ensemble: Rose Consort of Viols
  • Running Time: 4 min. 19 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance
  • Written: by 1626

>Dowland, John [Composer] : Round Battle Galliard, for lute, P 39
  • Performer: Nigel North (Lute)
  • Running Time: 2 min. 53 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance

>Dowland, John [Composer] : Say, Love if ever thou didst find, for 4 voices & lute (Third Book of Songs)
  • Performers: Dorothy Linell (Lute); Steven Richards (Countertenor)
  • Running Time: 2 min. 8 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance
  • Written: by 1603

>Dowland, John [Composer] : The Most Sacred Queen Elizabeth, her Galliard (Katherine Darcy's Galliard), for lute, P 41
  • Performer: Nigel North (Lute)
  • Running Time: 1 min. 22 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance
  • Written: by 1626

>Dowland, John [Composer] : Semper Dowland semper dolens, pavan for lute, P 9
  • Performer: Nigel North (Lute)
  • Running Time: 4 min. 15 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance
  • Written: 1600

>Dowland, John [Composer] : All ye whom love or fortune hath betrayed (First Book of Songs), for 4 voices & lute
  • Performers: Jacob Heringman (Lute); Catherine King (Mezzo Soprano)
  • Running Time: 4 min. 23 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance
  • Written: 1597

>Dowland, John [Composer] : The King of Denmark, his Galliard, for lute, P 40
  • Performer: Jacob Heringman (Lute)
  • Ensemble: Rose Consort of Viols
  • Running Time: 1 min. 24 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance
  • Written: by 1626

>Dowland, John [Composer] : Lady Laiton's Almain, for lute, P 48
  • Performer: Nigel North (Lute)
  • Running Time: 1 min. 25 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance
  • Written: by 1626

>Dowland, John [Composer] : The Right Honourable Lord Viscount Lisle (Sir Robert Sidney, his galliard), for lute, P 38 (A Musica
  • Performer: Nigel North (Lute)
  • Running Time: 2 min. 41 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance
  • Written: 1610

>Dowland, John [Composer] : In darkness let me dwell, for voice, lute & bass viol (A Musicall Banquet)
  • Performers: Dorothy Linell (Lute); Steven Richards (Countertenor)
  • Running Time: 3 min. 39 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance
  • Written: 1610

>Dowland, John [Composer] : Lachrimae, for lute, P 15
  • Performer: Nigel North (Lute)
  • Running Time: 5 min. 25 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance
  • Written: by 1626

>Dowland, John [Composer] : I saw my lady weep, for 2 voices & lute (Second Book of Song)
  • Performers: Dorothy Linell (Lute); Steven Richards (Countertenor)
  • Running Time: 5 min. 27 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance
  • Written: by 1600

>Dowland, John [Composer] : Burst forth, my tears, for 4 voices & lute (First Book of Songs)
  • Performers: Jacob Heringman (Lute); Catherine King (Mezzo Soprano)
  • Ensemble: Rose Consort of Viols
  • Running Time: 4 min. 21 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance
  • Written: 1597

>Dowland, John [Composer] : Farewell Fancy (Chromatic fantasia), for lute, P 3
  • Performer: Nigel North (Lute)
  • Running Time: 6 min. 38 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance