1 800 222 6872

Sviatoslav Richter - Pianist of the Century

Album Summary

>Schumann, Robert : March for piano in G minor (Sehr kräftig), Op. 76/2
>Schumann, Robert : Waldszenen (Forest Scenes), for piano, Op. 82
>Schumann, Robert : Fantasiestücke (8 Fantasy Pieces), for piano, Op. 12
>Mozart, Wolfgang Amadeus : Concerto for Piano no 20 in D minor, K 466
>Prokofiev, Sergey : Concerto for Piano no 5 in G major, Op. 55
>Rachmaninov, Sergey : Concerto for Piano no 2 in C minor, Op. 18
>Rachmaninov, Sergey : Preludes (13) for piano, Op. 32
>Rachmaninov, Sergey : Preludes (10) for piano, Op. 23
>Schumann, Robert : Concerto for Piano in A minor, Op. 54
>Schumann, Robert : Introduction and Allegro appassionato for Piano and Orchestra in G major, Op. 92
>Schumann, Robert : Novellette for piano in F major, Op. 21/1
>Schumann, Robert : Toccata for piano in C major, Op. 7
>Haydn, Franz Joseph : Sonata for Keyboard no 32 in G minor, H 16 no 44
>Chopin, Frédéric : Ballade for Piano no 3 in A flat major, B 136/Op. 47
>Debussy, Claude : Préludes (12) for piano, Book I, L. 117
>Prokofiev, Sergey : Sonata for Piano no 8 in B flat major ("War Sonata 3"), Op. 84
>Tchaikovsky, Peter Ilyich : Concerto for Piano no 1 in B flat minor, Op. 23
>Beethoven, Ludwig van : Rondo for Piano and Orchestra in B flat major, WoO 6
>Beethoven, Ludwig van : Concerto for Piano no 3 in C minor, Op. 37
>Chopin, Frédéric : Polonaise-fantasy for piano no 7 in A flat major, Op. 61, CT. 156
>Chopin, Frédéric : Etude for piano no 1 in C major, Op. 10/1, CT. 14
>Chopin, Frédéric : Etude for piano no 12 in C minor ("Revolutionary"), Op. 10/12, CT. 25
>Chopin, Frédéric : Ballade for Piano no 4 in F minor, B 146/Op. 52
>Debussy, Claude : Estampes (3) for Piano
>Scriabin, Alexander : Sonata for Piano no 5 in F sharp major, Op. 53
>Bach, Johann Sebastian : Prelude and Fugue in C major, BWV 846 (The Well-Tempered Clavier, Book 1)
>Bach, Johann Sebastian : Prelude and Fugue in C sharp minor, BWV 849 (The Well-Tempered Clavier, Book 1)
>Bach, Johann Sebastian : Well-Tempered Clavier, Book 1, BWV 846-869
>Bach, Johann Sebastian : Prelude and Fugue, for keyboard no 6 in D minor (WTC I/6), BWV 851 (BC L85)
>Schubert, Franz : Allegretto for Piano in C minor, D 915
>Schubert, Franz : 17 Ländler, D 366
>Schumann, Robert : Theme and Variations for Piano on the name ABEGG, Op. 1
>Rachmaninov, Sergey : Prelude for piano no 23 in G sharp minor, Op. 32/12
>Prokofiev, Sergey : Visions fugitives (20), for piano, Op. 22
Performer Conductors Ensemble
  • >
Composers

Notes & Reviews:

Easily one of the greatest pianists of the 20th century, Sviatoslav Richter recorded 9 albums for Detusche Grammophon between 1956 and 1962. All 9 of the solo and concerto LP-recordings are now available together, and at a budget price for the first time. A brilliant performer as well as an enigmatic personality, Richter dominated the classical music scene for decades and gave landmark performances in almost every style from Bach to 20th century works. Beautifully packaged, the albums are presented in their original couplings with the original LP artwork on individual CD sleeves.



Reviews

Sviatoslav Richter - Pianist of the Century

superb playing, good sound
Submitted on 02/10/12 by James Stritychuk 
Login or Create an Account to write a review
 

Also Purchased

Works Details

>Schumann, Robert : March for piano in G minor (Sehr kräftig), Op. 76/2
  • Performer: Sviatoslav Richter (Piano)
  • Running Time: 3 min. 32 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Form: March
  • Written: 1849

>Schumann, Robert : Waldszenen (Forest Scenes), for piano, Op. 82
  • Performer: Sviatoslav Richter (Piano)
  • Running Time: 19 min. 44 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Written: 1848-1849

>Schumann, Robert : Fantasiestücke (8 Fantasy Pieces), for piano, Op. 12
  • Performer: Sviatoslav Richter (Piano)
  • Running Time: 20 min. 44 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Written: 1837

>Mozart, Wolfgang Amadeus : Concerto for Piano no 20 in D minor, K 466
  • Performer: Sviatoslav Richter (Piano)
  • Conductor: Witold Rowicki
  • Running Time: 33 min. 18 sec.
  • Period Time: Classical
  • Form: Concerto
  • Written: 1785

>Prokofiev, Sergey : Concerto for Piano no 5 in G major, Op. 55
  • Performer: Sviatoslav Richter (Piano)
  • Conductor: Witold Rowicki
  • Notes: Composition written: 1931-32.
  • Running Time: 22 min. 1 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Form: Concerto
  • Written: 1931-1932

>Rachmaninov, Sergey : Concerto for Piano no 2 in C minor, Op. 18
  • Performer: Sviatoslav Richter (Piano)
  • Conductor: Stanislaw Wislocki
  • Running Time: 34 min. 5 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Form: Concerto
  • Written: 1900-1901

>Rachmaninov, Sergey : Preludes (13) for piano, Op. 32
  • Performer: Sviatoslav Richter (Piano)
  • Running Time: 4 min. 25 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Written: 1910

>Rachmaninov, Sergey : Preludes (10) for piano, Op. 23
  • Performer: Sviatoslav Richter (Piano)
  • Running Time: 13 min. 12 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Written: 1901-1903

>Schumann, Robert : Concerto for Piano in A minor, Op. 54
  • Performer: Sviatoslav Richter (Piano)
  • Conductor: Witold Rowicki
  • Running Time: 30 min. 5 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Form: Concerto
  • Written: 1841

>Schumann, Robert : Introduction and Allegro appassionato for Piano and Orchestra in G major, Op. 92
  • Performer: Sviatoslav Richter (Piano)
  • Conductor: Stanislaw Wislocki
  • Notes: Composition written: 1849.
  • Running Time: 15 min. 48 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Form: Concerto
  • Written: 1849

>Schumann, Robert : Novellette for piano in F major, Op. 21/1
  • Performer: Sviatoslav Richter (Piano)
  • Running Time: 5 min. 19 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Written: 1838

>Schumann, Robert : Toccata for piano in C major, Op. 7
  • Performer: Sviatoslav Richter (Piano)
  • Running Time: 6 min. 35 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Written: 1829-1833

>Haydn, Franz Joseph : Sonata for Keyboard no 32 in G minor, H 16 no 44
  • Performer: Sviatoslav Richter (Piano)
  • Running Time: 13 min. 9 sec.
  • Period Time: Classical
  • Written: circa 1771-1773

>Chopin, Frédéric : Ballade for Piano no 3 in A flat major, B 136/Op. 47
  • Performer: Sviatoslav Richter (Piano)
  • Running Time: 7 min. 17 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Written: 1841

>Debussy, Claude : Préludes (12) for piano, Book I, L. 117
  • Performer: Sviatoslav Richter (Piano)
  • Running Time: 9 min. 1 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Written: 1907-1910

>Prokofiev, Sergey : Sonata for Piano no 8 in B flat major ("War Sonata 3"), Op. 84
  • Performer: Sviatoslav Richter (Piano)
  • Running Time: 29 min. 10 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Written: 1939-1944

>Tchaikovsky, Peter Ilyich : Concerto for Piano no 1 in B flat minor, Op. 23
  • Performer: Sviatoslav Richter (Piano)
  • Conductor: Herbert Karajan
  • Running Time: 36 min. 10 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Form: Concerto
  • Written: 1874

>Beethoven, Ludwig van : Rondo for Piano and Orchestra in B flat major, WoO 6
  • Performer: Sviatoslav Richter (Piano)
  • Conductor: Kurt Sanderling
  • Running Time: 9 min. 25 sec.
  • Period Time: Classical
  • Written: 1795

>Beethoven, Ludwig van : Concerto for Piano no 3 in C minor, Op. 37
  • Performer: Sviatoslav Richter (Piano)
  • Conductor: Kurt Sanderling
  • Running Time: 36 min. 1 sec.
  • Period Time: Classical
  • Form: Concerto
  • Written: 1800-1803

>Chopin, Frédéric : Polonaise-fantasy for piano no 7 in A flat major, Op. 61, CT. 156
  • Performer: Sviatoslav Richter (Piano)
  • Notes: Rome (11/1962); Venice (11/1962); Palermo (11/1962)
  • Running Time: 12 min. 18 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Written: 1846

>Chopin, Frédéric : Etude for piano no 1 in C major, Op. 10/1, CT. 14
  • Performer: Sviatoslav Richter (Piano)
  • Notes: Rome (11/1962); Venice (11/1962); Palermo (11/1962)
  • Running Time: 2 min. 2 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Written: 1830-1832

>Chopin, Frédéric : Etude for piano no 12 in C minor ("Revolutionary"), Op. 10/12, CT. 25
  • Performer: Sviatoslav Richter (Piano)
  • Notes: Rome (11/1962); Venice (11/1962); Palermo (11/1962)
  • Running Time: 2 min. 30 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Written: 1830-1832

>Chopin, Frédéric : Ballade for Piano no 4 in F minor, B 146/Op. 52
  • Performer: Sviatoslav Richter (Piano)
  • Notes: Rome (11/1962); Venice (11/1962); Palermo (11/1962)
  • Running Time: 11 min. 15 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Written: 1842-1843

>Debussy, Claude : Estampes (3) for Piano
  • Performer: Sviatoslav Richter (Piano)
  • Notes: Rome (11/1962); Venice (11/1962); Palermo (11/1962)
  • Running Time: 14 min. 53 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Written: 1903

>Scriabin, Alexander : Sonata for Piano no 5 in F sharp major, Op. 53
  • Performer: Sviatoslav Richter (Piano)
  • Notes: Rome (11/1962); Venice (11/1962); Palermo (11/1962)
  • Running Time: 10 min. 47 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Written: 1907

>Bach, Johann Sebastian : Prelude and Fugue in C major, BWV 846 (The Well-Tempered Clavier, Book 1)
  • Performer: Sviatoslav Richter (Piano)
  • Notes: Rome (11/1962); Venice (11/1962); Florence (11/1962)
  • Running Time: 4 min. 40 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque
  • Written: 1722

>Bach, Johann Sebastian : Prelude and Fugue in C sharp minor, BWV 849 (The Well-Tempered Clavier, Book 1)
  • Performer: Sviatoslav Richter (Piano)
  • Notes: Rome (11/1962); Venice (11/1962); Florence (11/1962)
  • Running Time: 8 min. 51 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque
  • Written: 1722

>Bach, Johann Sebastian : Well-Tempered Clavier, Book 1, BWV 846-869
  • Performer: Sviatoslav Richter (Piano)
  • Notes: Rome (11/1962); Venice (11/1962); Florence (11/1962)
  • Running Time: 2 min. 49 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque
  • Written: 1722

>Bach, Johann Sebastian : Prelude and Fugue, for keyboard no 6 in D minor (WTC I/6), BWV 851 (BC L85)
  • Performer: Sviatoslav Richter (Piano)
  • Notes: Rome (11/1962); Venice (11/1962); Florence (11/1962)
  • Running Time: 3 min. 38 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque
  • Written: 1722

>Bach, Johann Sebastian : Well-Tempered Clavier, Book 1, BWV 846-869
  • Performer: Sviatoslav Richter (Piano)
  • Notes: Rome (11/1962); Venice (11/1962); Florence (11/1962)
  • Running Time: 10 min. 32 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque
  • Written: 1722

>Schubert, Franz : Allegretto for Piano in C minor, D 915
  • Performer: Sviatoslav Richter (Piano)
  • Notes: Rome (11/1962); Venice (11/1962); Florence (11/1962)
  • Running Time: 6 min. 11 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Written: 05/24/1827

>Schubert, Franz : 17 Ländler, D 366 :: no 1 in A major / no 3 in A minor / no 5 in A minor / no 4 in A minor / no 5
  • Performer: Sviatoslav Richter (Piano)
  • Notes: Rome (11/1962); Venice (11/1962); Florence (11/1962)
  • Running Time: 5 min. 27 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Written: 1816-1824

>Schumann, Robert : Theme and Variations for Piano on the name ABEGG, Op. 1
  • Performer: Sviatoslav Richter (Piano)
  • Notes: Rome (11/1962); Venice (11/1962); Florence (11/1962)
  • Running Time: 8 min. sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Written: 1830

>Rachmaninov, Sergey : Prelude for piano no 23 in G sharp minor, Op. 32/12
  • Performer: Sviatoslav Richter (Piano)
  • Notes: Rome (11/1962); Venice (11/1962); Florence (11/1962)
  • Running Time: 2 min. 15 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Written: 1910

>Prokofiev, Sergey : Visions fugitives (20), for piano, Op. 22
  • Performer: Sviatoslav Richter (Piano)
  • Notes: Rome (11/1962); Venice (11/1962); Florence (11/1962)
  • Running Time: 2 min. 42 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Written: 1915-1917