1 800 222 6872

Unexpected Encounters - A Selection of Piano Sonatas by Joseph Haydn / Tzimon Barto

> Keyboard Sonata (Partita) No. 10 in C major, Hob.XVI:1 - I. Allegro
> Keyboard Sonata (Partita) No. 10 in C major, Hob.XVI:1 - II. Adagio
> Keyboard Sonata (Partita) No. 10 in C major, Hob.XVI:1 - III. Menuet
> Keyboard Sonata No. 38 in F major, Hob.XVI:23 - I. —
> Keyboard Sonata No. 38 in F major, Hob.XVI:23 - II. Adagio
> Keyboard Sonata No. 38 in F major, Hob.XVI:23 - III. Finale: Presto
> Keyboard Sonata No. 42 in G major, Hob.XVI:27 - I. Allegro con brio
> Keyboard Sonata No. 42 in G major, Hob.XVI:27 - II. Menuet
> Keyboard Sonata No. 42 in G major, Hob.XVI:27 - III. Finale: Presto
> Keyboard Sonata No. 60 in C major, Hob.XVI:50 - I. Allegro
> Keyboard Sonata No. 60 in C major, Hob.XVI:50 - II. Adagio
> Keyboard Sonata No. 60 in C major, Hob.XVI:50 - III. Allegro molto
> Keyboard Sonata No. 53 in E minor, Hob.XVI:34 - I. Presto
> Keyboard Sonata No. 53 in E minor, Hob.XVI:34 - II. Adagio
> Keyboard Sonata No. 53 in E minor, Hob.XVI:34 - III. Vivace molto

Album Summary

>Haydn, Franz Joseph : Sonata for Keyboard no 10 in C major, H 16 no 1
>Haydn, Franz Joseph : Sonata for Keyboard no 38 in F major, H 16 no 23
>Haydn, Franz Joseph : Keyboard Sonata in G major, H. 16/27
>Haydn, Franz Joseph : Sonata for Keyboard no 60 in C major, H 16 no 50
Performer Composer

Notes & Reviews:

This CD features pianist Tzimon Barto with a selection of piano sonatas by Joseph Haydn - a tribute to the 200th anniversary in 2009 of the great Viennese composer's death. Barto is celebrated for his "refreshing" approach (American Record Guide) to known repertoire. His highly personal approach to these works - which he has devoted himself to for much of his career - enables the listeners to make their own "unexpected encounters" with these works. Making no attempt to be "historically correct," Barto focuses instead on his discovery of impressionistic elements, as well as inspiration drawn from theater and painting of the period.

Gramophone Magazine
The first three sonatas... are written for the harpsichord but Barto doesn't imitate the instrument. Instead he uses the resources of the piano to express what Haydn implied. Ductile sonorities rather than sharp transients fill out the fabric and repeats are varied though changes of touch rather than decoration. No 10's origin is considered doubtful but Barto's interpretation is of a scope that suggests the real thing.



Reviews

There are currently no reviews, be the first one!
Login or Create an Account to write a review
 

Also Purchased



Previous


Next


Works Details

>Haydn, Franz Joseph : Sonata for Keyboard no 10 in C major, H 16 no 1
  • Performer: Tzimon Barto (Piano)
  • Running Time: 14 min. 11 sec.
  • Period Time: Classical
  • Written: circa 1750-1755

>Haydn, Franz Joseph : Sonata for Keyboard no 38 in F major, H 16 no 23
  • Performer: Tzimon Barto (Piano)
  • Running Time: 22 min. 32 sec.
  • Period Time: Classical
  • Written: 1773

>Haydn, Franz Joseph : Keyboard Sonata in G major, H. 16/27
  • Performer: Tzimon Barto (Piano)
  • Running Time: 17 min. 3 sec.
  • Period Time: Classical
  • Written: circa 1776

>Haydn, Franz Joseph : Sonata for Keyboard no 60 in C major, H 16 no 50
  • Performer: Tzimon Barto (Piano)
  • Notes: Composition written: Circa 1794-95.
  • Running Time: 22 min. 49 sec.
  • Period Time: Classical
  • Written: circa 1794-1795