1 800 222 6872

English Music of the 17th Century

Audio Samples

>Lawes, William [Composer] : Suite no 2 a 5 in F major
>     Fantasia
>     Aire
>Gibbons, Orlando : Pavan, for 6 viols, MB41
>Farnaby, Giles [Composer] : Fantasia no 5 for keyboard, MB 5
>Lawes, William [Composer] : Sonata no 7 in D minor
>Byrd, William : Pavan and Galliard a 6 in C major
>Dowland, John [Composer] : Lachrimae, pavan for lute (music by Dowland poss. arr. by W.Wigthorpe)
>Dowland, John [Composer] : Can she excuse my wrongs, for 4 voices & lute (First Book of Songs)
>Tomkins, Thomas : Pavane ("For These Distracted Times") for keyboard (February 1649)
>Lawes, William [Composer] : Suite no 3 in B flat major
>     In nomine
>Morley, Thomas [Composer] : Nancy, variations for keyboard
>Tisdale, William : Pavana chromatica (Mrs. Katherine Tregian's pavan)
>Byrd, William : Pavan & Gaillard, for keyboard in D minor no 1, MB 52
>Bull, John : Hexachord Fantasia
>Byrd, William : Fantasia, for keyboard in C major, no 3, MB 27
>Morley, Thomas [Composer] : Fantasia for keyboard in D minor
>Byrd, William : Fantasia a 6, for instrumental consort no 2 in G minor
>Anonymous : A Toye
>Bull, John : The Duchesse of Brunswick's Toye
>Farnaby, Giles [Composer] : The Old Spagnoletta (Fitzwilliam Virginal Book), for keyboard
>Tomkins, Thomas : Pavan of Three Parts
>Tomkins, Thomas : Galliard of Three Parts
>Byrd, William : Clarifica Me Pater (III), for keyboard, MB 49
>Coprario, Giovanni : My Joy Is Dead
>Hume, Tobias : Tobacco, Tobacco, Sing Sweetly for Tobacco!, song for consort (a.k.a. "Tobacco Is Like Love")
>Gibbons, Orlando : Fantasias (10) for Keyboard
>Weelkes, Thomas : Cease sorrowes now, madrigal for 3 voices
>Ward, John : Fantasia a 4 for viols no 1 in C minor
>Wilson, John : Stay, O Stay
>Wilson, John : Beauty Which All Men Admire
>Hingeston, John : Fantasia for trumpet, trombone & continuo
>Campion, Thomas : Come, you pretty false-ey'd wanton
>Anonymous : Deerest Love
>Locke, Matthew : Suite, for 4 viols & optional continuo no 2 in D minor/D major (Consort of Fower Parts no 2)
>Anonymous : Nothing on Earth
>Lupo, Thomas : Fantasia a 3 no 20
>Johnson, Robert (II) : Care charming sleep

Album Summary

>Lawes, William [Composer] : Suite no 2 a 5 in F major
>Gibbons, Orlando : Pavan, for 6 viols, MB41
>Farnaby, Giles [Composer] : Fantasia no 5 for keyboard, MB 5
>Lawes, William [Composer] : Sonata no 7 in D minor
>Byrd, William : Pavan and Galliard a 6 in C major
>Dowland, John [Composer] : Lachrimae, pavan for lute (music by Dowland poss. arr. by W.Wigthorpe)
>Dowland, John [Composer] : Can she excuse my wrongs, for 4 voices & lute (First Book of Songs)
>Tomkins, Thomas : Pavane ("For These Distracted Times") for keyboard (February 1649)
>Lawes, William [Composer] : Suite no 3 in B flat major
>Morley, Thomas [Composer] : Nancy, variations for keyboard
>Tisdale, William : Pavana chromatica (Mrs. Katherine Tregian's pavan)
>Byrd, William : Pavan & Gaillard, for keyboard in D minor no 1, MB 52
>Bull, John : Hexachord Fantasia
>Byrd, William : Fantasia, for keyboard in C major, no 3, MB 27
>Morley, Thomas [Composer] : Fantasia for keyboard in D minor
>Byrd, William : Fantasia a 6, for instrumental consort no 2 in G minor
>Anonymous : A Toye
>Bull, John : The Duchesse of Brunswick's Toye
>Farnaby, Giles [Composer] : The Old Spagnoletta (Fitzwilliam Virginal Book), for keyboard
>Tomkins, Thomas : Pavan of Three Parts
>Tomkins, Thomas : Galliard of Three Parts
>Byrd, William : Clarifica Me Pater (III), for keyboard, MB 49
>Coprario, Giovanni : My Joy Is Dead
>Hume, Tobias : Tobacco, Tobacco, Sing Sweetly for Tobacco!, song for consort (a.k.a. "Tobacco Is Like Love")
>Gibbons, Orlando : Fantasias (10) for Keyboard
>Weelkes, Thomas : Cease sorrowes now, madrigal for 3 voices
>Ward, John : Fantasia a 4 for viols no 1 in C minor
>Wilson, John : Stay, O Stay
>Wilson, John : Beauty Which All Men Admire
>Hingeston, John : Fantasia for trumpet, trombone & continuo
>Campion, Thomas : Come, you pretty false-ey'd wanton
>Anonymous : Deerest Love
>Locke, Matthew : Suite, for 4 viols & optional continuo no 2 in D minor/D major (Consort of Fower Parts no 2)
>Anonymous : Nothing on Earth
>Lupo, Thomas : Fantasia a 3 no 20
>Johnson, Robert (II) : Care charming sleep
Performers Ensembles Composers


Reviews

There are currently no reviews, be the first one!
Login or Create an Account to write a review

Works Details

>Lawes, William [Composer] : Suite no 2 à 5 in F major :: Fantasia
  • Performers: Gustav Leonhardt (Virginal); Gustav Leonhardt (Organ); Gustav Leonhardt (Viol)
  • Ensemble: Leonhardt Consort
  • Running Time: 4 min. 27 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance

>Lawes, William [Composer] : Suite no 2 à 5 in F major :: Aire
  • Performers: Gustav Leonhardt (Virginal); Gustav Leonhardt (Viol); Gustav Leonhardt (Organ)
  • Ensemble: Leonhardt Consort
  • Running Time: 1 min. 57 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance

>Gibbons, Orlando : Pavan, for 6 viols, MB41
  • Performers: Gustav Leonhardt (Harpsichord); Gustav Leonhardt (Virginal); Gustav Leonhardt (Organ)
  • Running Time: 2 min. 55 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance

>Farnaby, Giles [Composer] : Fantasia no 5 for keyboard, MB 5
  • Performers: Gustav Leonhardt (Harpsichord); Gustav Leonhardt (Organ); Gustav Leonhardt (Virginal)
  • Running Time: 5 min. 1 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque

>Lawes, William [Composer] : Sonata no 7 in D minor
  • Performers: Gustav Leonhardt (Organ); Gustav Leonhardt (Virginal); Gustav Leonhardt (Viol)
  • Ensemble: Leonhardt Consort
  • Running Time: 4 min. 14 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance

>Byrd, William : Pavan and Galliard a 6 in C major
  • Performers: Gustav Leonhardt (Virginal); Gustav Leonhardt (Organ); Gustav Leonhardt (Viol)
  • Ensemble: Leonhardt Consort
  • Notes: Composition written: Circa 1590.
  • Running Time: 4 min. 9 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance
  • Written: circa 1590

>Dowland, John [Composer] : Lachrimae, pavan for lute (music by Dowland poss. arr. by W.Wigthorpe)
  • Performers: Gustav Leonhardt (Organ); Gustav Leonhardt (Harpsichord); Gustav Leonhardt (Virginal)
  • Running Time: 6 min. 21 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance

>Dowland, John [Composer] : Can she excuse my wrongs, for 4 voices & lute (First Book of Songs)
  • Performers: Gustav Leonhardt (Harpsichord); Gustav Leonhardt (Organ); Gustav Leonhardt (Virginal)
  • Running Time: 2 min. 37 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance
  • Form: Choral
  • Written: 1597

>Tomkins, Thomas : Pavane ("For These Distracted Times") for keyboard (February 1649)
  • Performers: Gustav Leonhardt (Virginal); Gustav Leonhardt (Harpsichord); Gustav Leonhardt (Organ)
  • Running Time: 3 min. 35 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance

>Lawes, William [Composer] : Suite no 3 in B flat major :: In nomine
  • Performers: Gustav Leonhardt (Virginal); Gustav Leonhardt (Viol); Gustav Leonhardt (Organ)
  • Ensemble: Leonhardt Consort
  • Running Time: 5 min. 23 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance

>Morley, Thomas [Composer] : Nancy, variations for keyboard
  • Performers: Gustav Leonhardt (Organ); Gustav Leonhardt (Virginal); Gustav Leonhardt (Harpsichord)
  • Ensemble: Leonhardt Consort
  • Running Time: 4 min. 5 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance

>Tisdale, William : Pavana chromatica (Mrs. Katherine Tregian's pavan)
  • Performers: Gustav Leonhardt (Virginal); Gustav Leonhardt (Organ); Gustav Leonhardt (Harpsichord)
  • Running Time: 5 min. 28 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance

>Byrd, William : Pavan & Gaillard, for keyboard in D minor no 1, MB 52
  • Performers: Gustav Leonhardt (Harpsichord); Gustav Leonhardt (Organ); Gustav Leonhardt (Virginal)
  • Running Time: 6 min. 38 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance

>Bull, John : Hexachord Fantasia
  • Performers: Gustav Leonhardt (Virginal); Gustav Leonhardt (Organ); Gustav Leonhardt (Harpsichord)
  • Running Time: 6 min. 16 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance

>Byrd, William : Fantasia, for keyboard in C major, no 3, MB 27
  • Performers: Gustav Leonhardt (Organ); Gustav Leonhardt (Virginal); Gustav Leonhardt (Viol)
  • Ensemble: Leonhardt Consort
  • Running Time: 3 min. 25 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance

>Morley, Thomas [Composer] : Fantasia for keyboard in D minor
  • Performers: Gustav Leonhardt (Organ); Gustav Leonhardt (Harpsichord); Gustav Leonhardt (Virginal)
  • Running Time: 5 min. 36 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance

>Byrd, William : Fantasia a 6, for instrumental consort no 2 in G minor
  • Performers: Gustav Leonhardt (Viol); Gustav Leonhardt (Virginal); Gustav Leonhardt (Organ)
  • Ensemble: Leonhardt Consort
  • Running Time: 5 min. 26 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance

>Anonymous : A Toye
  • Performers: Gustav Leonhardt (Organ); Gustav Leonhardt (Harpsichord); Gustav Leonhardt (Virginal)
  • Running Time: 1 min. 11 sec.

>Bull, John : The Duchesse of Brunswick's Toye
  • Performers: Gustav Leonhardt (Harpsichord); Gustav Leonhardt (Virginal); Gustav Leonhardt (Organ)
  • Period Time: Renaissance

>Farnaby, Giles [Composer] : The Old Spagnoletta (Fitzwilliam Virginal Book), for keyboard
  • Performers: Gustav Leonhardt (Harpsichord); Gustav Leonhardt (Virginal); Gustav Leonhardt (Organ)
  • Running Time: 2 min. 22 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque

>Tomkins, Thomas : Pavan of Three Parts
  • Performers: Gustav Leonhardt (Organ); Gustav Leonhardt (Virginal); Gustav Leonhardt (Harpsichord)
  • Running Time: 2 min. 31 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance

>Tomkins, Thomas : Galliard of Three Parts
  • Performers: Gustav Leonhardt (Virginal); Gustav Leonhardt (Organ); Gustav Leonhardt (Harpsichord)
  • Running Time: 1 min. 3 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance

>Byrd, William : Clarifica Me Pater (III), for keyboard, MB 49
  • Performers: Gustav Leonhardt (Organ); Gustav Leonhardt (Harpsichord); Gustav Leonhardt (Virginal)
  • Running Time: 2 min. 41 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance

>Coprario, Giovanni : My Joy Is Dead
  • Performers: Viktor Lukas (Organ); Don Smithers (Cornet); Willard Cobb (Tenor); Sterling Jones (Viol); Karl Klein (Viol); Franz Eder (Trombone); Grayston Burgess (Countertenor); Thomas Binkley (Lute); Andrea Ramm (Organetto); Nigel Vocal] (Tenor)
  • Ensemble: Studio der frühen Musik
  • Running Time: 4 min. 20 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance

>Hume, Tobias : Tobacco, Tobacco, Sing Sweetly for Tobacco!, song for consort (a.k.a. "Tobacco Is Like Love")
  • Performers: Viktor Lukas (Organ); Don Smithers (Cornet); Willard Cobb (Tenor); Sterling Jones (Viol); Karl Klein (Countertenor); Franz Eder (Trombone); Grayston Burgess (Countertenor); Thomas Binkley (Lute); Andrea Ramm (Organetto); Nigel Vocal] (Tenor)
  • Ensemble: Studio der frühen Musik
  • Running Time: 1 min. 24 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque
  • Form: Vocal
  • Written: 1605

>Gibbons, Orlando : Fantasias (10) for Keyboard
  • Ensemble: Concentus Musicus Wien
  • Running Time: 2 min. 17 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance

>Weelkes, Thomas : Cease sorrowes now, madrigal for 3 voices
  • Performers: Viktor Lukas (Organ); Don Smithers (Cornet); Willard Cobb (Tenor); Sterling Jones (Viol); Karl Klein (Organetto); Franz Eder (Trombone); Grayston Burgess (Countertenor); Thomas Binkley (Lute); Andrea Ramm (Organetto); Nigel Vocal] (Tenor)
  • Ensemble: Studio der frühen Musik
  • Running Time: 3 min. 16 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance

>Ward, John : Fantasia a 4 for viols no 1 in C minor
  • Ensemble: Concentus Musicus Wien
  • Running Time: 3 min. 38 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance

>Wilson, John : Stay, O Stay
  • Performers: Viktor Lukas (Organ); Don Smithers (Cornet); Willard Cobb (Tenor); Sterling Jones (Viol); Karl Klein (Organ); Franz Eder (Trombone); Grayston Burgess (Countertenor); Thomas Binkley (Lute); Andrea Ramm (Organetto); Nigel Vocal] (Tenor)
  • Ensemble: Studio der frühen Musik
  • Running Time: 1 min. 30 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque

>Wilson, John : Beauty Which All Men Admire
  • Performers: Viktor Lukas (Organ); Don Smithers (Cornet); Willard Cobb (Tenor); Sterling Jones (Viol); Karl Klein (Tenor); Franz Eder (Trombone); Grayston Burgess (Countertenor); Thomas Binkley (Lute); Andrea Ramm (Organetto); Nigel Vocal] (Tenor)
  • Ensemble: Studio der frühen Musik
  • Running Time: 1 min. 5 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque

>Hingeston, John : Fantasia for trumpet, trombone & continuo
  • Performers: Viktor Lukas (Organ); Don Smithers (Cornet); Willard Cobb (Tenor); Sterling Jones (Viol); Karl Klein (Viol); Franz Eder (Trombone); Grayston Burgess (Countertenor); Thomas Binkley (Lute); Andrea Ramm (Organetto); Nigel Vocal] (Tenor)
  • Ensemble: Studio der frühen Musik
  • Running Time: 2 min. 22 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque

>Campion, Thomas : Come, you pretty false-ey'd wanton
  • Performers: Viktor Lukas (Organ); Don Smithers (Cornet); Willard Cobb (Tenor); Sterling Jones (Viol); Karl Klein (Countertenor); Franz Eder (Trombone); Grayston Burgess (Countertenor); Thomas Binkley (Lute); Andrea Ramm (Organetto); Nigel Vocal] (Tenor)
  • Ensemble: Studio der frühen Musik
  • Running Time: 2 min. 45 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance

>Anonymous : Deerest Love
  • Performers: Viktor Lukas (Organ); Don Smithers (Cornet); Willard Cobb (Tenor); Sterling Jones (Viol); Karl Klein (Organ); Franz Eder (Trombone); Grayston Burgess (Countertenor); Thomas Binkley (Lute); Andrea Ramm (Organetto); Nigel Vocal] (Tenor)
  • Ensemble: Studio der frühen Musik
  • Running Time: 2 min. 9 sec.

>Locke, Matthew : Suite, for 4 viols & optional continuo no 2 in D minor/D major (Consort of Fower Parts no 2)
  • Ensemble: Concentus Musicus Wien
  • Running Time: 8 min. 41 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque
  • Written: by 1678

>Anonymous : Nothing on Earth
  • Performers: Viktor Lukas (Organ); Don Smithers (Cornet); Willard Cobb (Tenor); Sterling Jones (Viol); Karl Klein (Lute); Franz Eder (Trombone); Grayston Burgess (Countertenor); Thomas Binkley (Lute); Andrea Ramm (Organetto); Nigel Vocal] (Tenor)
  • Ensemble: Studio der frühen Musik
  • Running Time: 3 min. 45 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance

>Lupo, Thomas : Fantasia à 3 no 20
  • Ensemble: Concentus Musicus Wien
  • Running Time: 2 min. 9 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance

>Johnson, Robert (II) : Care charming sleep
  • Performers: Viktor Lukas (Organ); Don Smithers (Cornet); Willard Cobb (Tenor); Sterling Jones (Viol); Karl Klein (Organ); Franz Eder (Trombone); Grayston Burgess (Countertenor); Thomas Binkley (Lute); Andrea Ramm (Organetto); Nigel Vocal] (Tenor)
  • Ensemble: Studio der frühen Musik
  • Running Time: 4 min. 44 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance
  • Written: circa 1614