- Gerhard Stolze (Tenor)
- Toni Blankenheim (Baritone)
- Wolfgang Windgassen (Voice)
- Josef Greindl (Bass)
- Alfons Herwig (Baritone)
- Herta Wilfert (Soprano)
- Josef Traxel (Tenor)
- Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau (Voice)
- Volker Horn (Tenor)
- Gré Brouwenstijn (Soprano)
Notes & Reviews:
Gramophone Classical Music Guide
This is a revelatory interpretation of a work which isn't easy to bring off. André Cluytens had taken over the musical direction at Bayreuth from Eugen Jochum at short notice, and he seems energised by the challenge. Contemporary reviews spoke of the bright, shining strings and the luminous texture of the orchestra, and of the 'intoxicating magic' of the whole concept - all of which is confirmed by this first release. It comes from the second year of what is still considered one of Wieland Wagner's most elevating productions, and the photos in the booklet show us its moving simplicity and sense of dedication... The mono sound is so good that you soon forget any limitations. This set enters the pantheon of great Bayreuth performances on disc.
ReviewsThere are currently no reviews, be the first one!
Works DetailsWagner, Richard : Tannhäuser
- Performers: Herta Wilfert (Soprano); Josef Traxel (Tenor); Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau (Voice); Volker Horn (Tenor); Gré Brouwenstijn (Soprano); Gerhard Stolze (Tenor); Toni Blankenheim (Baritone); Wolfgang Windgassen (Voice); Josef Greindl (Bass); Alfons Herwig (Baritone)
- Conductor: André Cluytens
- Running Time: 104 min. 21 sec.
- Period Time: Romantic
- Form: Opera/Operetta
- Written: 1843-1865