1 800 222 6872

Barber Adagio (100th Anniversay)

Audio Samples

>Barber, Samuel : Adagio for Strings
>Barber, Samuel : The School for Scandal, overture for orchestra, Op. 5
>Barber, Samuel : Concerto for Violin, Op. 14
>Barber, Samuel : Knoxville, Summer of 1915, Op. 24
>     Summer of 1915, for high voice & orchestra (rev. for voice & chamber orchestra), Op. 24
>Barber, Samuel : Essay for Orchestra no 1, Op. 12
>Barber, Samuel : Medea's Meditation and Dance of Vengeance, Op. 23a
>Barber, Samuel : Dover Beach, Op. 3
>Barber, Samuel : Sonata for Piano in E flat minor, Op. 26
>Barber, Samuel : Excursions (4) for Piano, Op. 20
>Barber, Samuel : Summer Music, for wind quintet, Op. 31
>Barber, Samuel : Songs (3), for voice & piano, Op. 2
>Barber, Samuel : Quartet for Strings in B major, Op. 11

Album Summary

>Barber, Samuel : Adagio for Strings
>Barber, Samuel : The School for Scandal, overture for orchestra, Op. 5
>Barber, Samuel : Concerto for Violin, Op. 14
>Barber, Samuel : Knoxville, Summer of 1915, Op. 24
>Barber, Samuel : Essay for Orchestra no 1, Op. 12
>Barber, Samuel : Medea's Meditation and Dance of Vengeance, Op. 23a
>Barber, Samuel : Dover Beach, Op. 3
>Barber, Samuel : Sonata for Piano in E flat minor, Op. 26
>Barber, Samuel : Excursions (4) for Piano, Op. 20
>Barber, Samuel : Summer Music, for wind quintet, Op. 31
>Barber, Samuel : Songs (3), for voice & piano, Op. 2
>Barber, Samuel : Quartet for Strings in B major, Op. 11
Performers Conductors Ensemble
  • >
Composer

Notes & Reviews:

This 2-CD commemorative set marks the centenary of Samuel Barber's birth and gives a fairly rounded picture of the composer. Samuel Barber's music, masterfully crafted and built on romantic structures and sensibilities, is at once lyrical, rhythmically complex, and harmonically rich. His intensely lyrical Adagio for Strings has become one of the most recognizable and beloved compositions, both in concerts and films ("Platoon," "The Elephant Man," "El Norte," "Lorenzo's Oil").



Reviews

There are currently no reviews, be the first one!
Login or Create an Account to write a review
 

Also Purchased



Previous


Next


Works Details

>Barber, Samuel : Adagio for Strings
  • Conductor: Simon Rattle
  • Notes: Philharmonie, Berlin (12/29/2008-12/31/2008)
  • Running Time: 8 min. 57 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Written: 1936
  • Studio/Live: Live

>Barber, Samuel : The School for Scandal, overture for orchestra, Op. 5
  • Conductor: Leonard Slatkin
  • Running Time: 8 min. 28 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Form: Orchestral
  • Written: 1931-1933

>Barber, Samuel : Concerto for Violin, Op. 14
  • Performer: Elmar Oliveira (Violin)
  • Conductor: Leonard Slatkin
  • Running Time: 23 min. 33 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Form: Concerto
  • Written: 1939

>Barber, Samuel : Knoxville, Summer of 1915, Op. 24 :: Summer of 1915, for high voice & orchestra (rev. for voice & chamber orchestra), Op. 24
  • Performer: Barbara Hendricks
  • Conductor: Michael Thomas
  • Notes: No. 1 Studio, Abbey Road, London (1994-05-20_1994-05-21&1994-)
  • Running Time: 15 min. 40 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Written: 1947-1950

>Barber, Samuel : Essay for Orchestra no 1, Op. 12
  • Conductor: Leonard Slatkin
  • Running Time: 9 min. 22 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Written: 1937

>Barber, Samuel : Medea's Meditation and Dance of Vengeance, Op. 23a
  • Conductor: Leonard Slatkin
  • Notes: Composition written: 1953.
  • Running Time: 13 min. 6 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Form: Ballet
  • Written: 1953

>Barber, Samuel : Dover Beach, Op. 3
  • Performers: Roger Vignoles (Piano); Thomas Allen (Baritone)
  • Notes: Blackheath Concert Halls, London (07/01/1990-07/03/1990)
  • Running Time: 8 min. 25 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Written: 1931

>Barber, Samuel : Sonata for Piano in E flat minor, Op. 26
  • Performer: Leon McCawley (Piano)
  • Notes: St George's Church, Brandon Hill, Bristol (12/17/1995-12/19/1995)
  • Running Time: 20 min. 37 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Written: 1949

>Barber, Samuel : Excursions (4) for Piano, Op. 20
  • Performer: Leon McCawley (Piano)
  • Notes: St George's Church, Brandon Hill, Bristol (12/17/1995-12/19/1995)
  • Running Time: 13 min. 21 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Written: 1942-1944

>Barber, Samuel : Summer Music, for wind quintet, Op. 31
  • Performers: Stanley Drucker (Clarinet); Judith LeClair (Bassoon); Joseph Robinson (Oboe); Philip Myers (Horn); Jeanne Baxtresser (Flute)
  • Running Time: 10 min. 56 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Written: 1955

>Barber, Samuel : Songs (3), for voice & piano, Op. 2
  • Performers: Roger Vignoles (Piano); Thomas Allen (Baritone)
  • Notes: St George's Church, Brandon Hill, Bristol (04/08/1993-04/09/1993)
  • Running Time: 4 min. 51 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Form: Vocal
  • Written: 1927-1934

>Barber, Samuel : Quartet for Strings in B major, Op. 11
  • Notes: Blackheath Concert Halls, London (07/01/1990-07/03/1990)
  • Running Time: 18 min. 20 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Written: 1936