- Dominick Argento — Jonah and the Whale : Part I: I. The Lesson (Chorale) $0.99 on iTunes
- Dominick Argento — Jonah and the Whale : Part I: II. The Charge to Jonah (Arietta and Cavatina) $0.99 on iTunes
- Dominick Argento — Jonah and the Whale : Part I: III. His Flight (Worksongs and Sea Shanty) $0.99 on iTunes
- Dominick Argento — Jonah and the Whale : Part I: IV. The Storm at Sea (Variations on a Sea Shanty) $0.99 on iTunes
- Dominick Argento — Jonah and the Whale : Part I: V. In the Belly of the Whale (Intermezzo) $0.99 on iTunes
- Dominick Argento — Jonah and the Whale : Part I: VI. His Prayer (Aria with Chorus) $0.99 on iTunes
- Dominick Argento — Jonah and the Whale : Part II: VII. In Nineveh (Ostinato and Kyrie) $0.99 on iTunes
- Dominick Argento — Jonah and the Whale : Part II: IX. The Booth (Nocturne and Aubade) $0.99 on iTunes
- Dominick Argento — Jonah and the Whale : Part II: XI. The Lesson Restated (Chorale and Coda) $0.99 on iTunes
Notes & Reviews:
This SACD, Dominick Argento: Jonah and the Whale, represents yet another successful collaboration between the Providence Singers and the Boston Modern Orchestra Project. Inspired by a 15th-century painting found on the ceiling of a church in Härkeberga, Sweden by painter Albertus Pictor, this large-scale oratorio draws upon a variety of sources including the 14th-century poem, "Patience, or Jonah and the Whale," the Vulgate Psalms, a Protestant hymnal, and the King James Bible. With outstanding performances by Daniel Norman (tenor) and Daniel Cole (bass), and narration provided by Thomas Oakes, conductor Andrew Clark leads the chorus and orchestra with skilled direction.
"The Boston Modern Orchestra Project's newest recording vibrantly illustrates Dominick Argento's ability to merge myriad artistic sources.... The performance, led with fine sense of balance and pacing by Andrew Clark, is a coup for the Boston ensemble, whose players are vivid and subtle as they negotiate the contrasting sonorities in Argento's score. Their articulate collaborators are the Providence Singers, narrator Thomas Oakes, tenor Daniel Norman (a fresh, urgent Jonah) and bass Daniel Cole (imposing as the Voice of God)." - Donald Rosenberg (Gramophone)
"Andrew Clark shows great proficiency conducting the Providence Singers...and nine virtuoso musicians from the Boston Modern Orchestra Project." - Joshua Rosenblum (Opera News)
"Ultimately this feels like a work for narrator, tenor, and bass in which the chorus and orchestra play subordinate roles. Entertaining, though, by its own lights. I have not had the chance to listen to this SACD on suitable equipment but, played on a conventional CD system, the recording is excellent." - Jeremy Marchant (Fanfare)
Recording information: Mechanics Hall, Worcester, MA (11/16/2008).
ReviewsThere are currently no reviews, be the first one!
David Debolt - Bassoon Music of 20th-Century America
James MacMillan: Visitatio Sepulchri
Shostakovich: The Nose / Gergiev, Mariinsky Orchestra, Et al
The Sixteen Edition - Padre Pio Prayer - MacMillan, Panufnik, Todd
Zimmermann: Die Soldaten / Gielen, Gabry, Synek, et al
Birtwistle: Punch and Judy / Atherton, London Sinfonietta
Martinu: Choral Works / Layton, Netherlands Chamber Choir
Jennifer Higdon: The Singing Rooms
Works DetailsArgento, Dominick : Jonah and the Whale, oratorio for narrator, 2 voices, chorus & orchestra
- Performers: Daniel Cole; Daniel Norman (Tenor)
- Conductor: Andrew Clark
- Running Time: 52 min. 10 sec.
- Period Time: Modern
- Form: Cantata/Oratorio