- Peter Hall (Tenor)
- Peter Sidhom (Baritone)
- Fiona Kimm (Mezzo Soprano)
- Stephen Pruslin (Regal)
- Martyn Hill
- Michael Chance
- John Graham-Hall (Tenor)
- Stuart Kale (Tenor)
- David Wilson-Johnson (Bass-Baritone)
- Quentin Hayes (Baritone)
- Stephen Richardson (Bass Baritone)
Notes & Reviews:
BBC Music Magazine
The opera is full... bitterly ironic juxtapositions, such as the 'holy' chanting from monks heard against the cynical Realpolitik of the negotiations between King and the Cardinal. Making the dramatically effective needs a careful balancing of the textures, and here conductor Oliver Knussen proves just as masterly as one would expect. But he's equally good at bringing out the astringent and anguished lyricism of the music, particularly the orchestral interludes in the last Act. ...Stuart Cale as the Cardinal (later the Anglican Archbishop) stands out as particularly fine, relishing the unctuous cynicism of both of these fine prelates. In all, this recording is a wonderful achievement which does justice to a powerful, timely and humane work.
Of the stalwart team of solo singers, Martyn Hill, Quentin Hayes and Stuart Kale are particularly successful in their lyrical shaping of lines which can so easily become tortuously shapeless. ... conductor Oliver Knussen keeps the goals in view and the climaxes in proportion, with the strings of the BBC SO tirelessly eloquent in the searing final stages.
Recording information: Studios 1 and 2, BBC Maida Vale, London (12/05/1996-12/14/1996).
ReviewsThere are currently no reviews, be the first one!
Shenandoah - An American Chorister 1890-1990 / Rutenberg
Missa Brevis: Caplet, Leighton, Delibes, Britten Fauré / Opstad, Whitehead
Mystic Chords Of Memory: works by Gould, Ginastera, Copland, Grofé, et al. / US Navy Band
The Earth Resounds: Josquin, Brumel & Lassus / Harry Christophers, The Sixteen
Lasse Thoresen: Himmelkvad / Nordic Voices, Berit Opheim Versto [Blu-ray audio]
Choir Music from Poland & Belgium by Elsner, Franck, Penderecki, Van Nuffel
Der Holdestein: Choral works by Schreker, Fuchs & Braunfels / Orpheus Vocal Ensemble
Open House: Songs Cycles by William Bolcom & Robert Beaser / Paul Sperry, tenor
Arvo Part: Adam's Lament / Latvian Radio Choir; Estonian Philharmonic Chamber Choir; Tallinn CO
Works DetailsMaxwell Davies, Peter : Taverner, opera in 2 acts, J. 92
- Performers: Peter Sidhom (Baritone); Fiona Kimm (Mezzo Soprano); Stephen Pruslin (Regal); Martyn Hill; Michael Chance; John Graham-Hall (Tenor); Stuart Kale (Tenor); David Wilson-Johnson (Bass-Baritone); Quentin Hayes (Baritone); Stephen Richardson (Bass Baritone); Peter Hall (Tenor)
- Conductor: Oliver Knussen
- Ensemble: His Majestys Sagbutts and Cornetts
- Notes: Studios 1 and 2, BBC Maida Vale, London (12/05/1996-12/14/1996)
- Running Time: 19 min. 18 sec.
- Period Time: Contemporary
- Form: Opera/Operetta
- Written: 1970