1 800 222 6872

Soler: Keyboard Sonatas, Vol. 3 / Belder, hpsi

Album Summary

>Soler, Antonio : Keyboard Sonata in G major (Allegro assai), R. 82
>Soler, Antonio : Keyboard Sonata in F major (Allegro), R. 83
>Soler, Antonio : Keyboard Sonata in D major (Andantino/Allegretto), R. 86 (Marvin Urtext 7)
>Soler, Antonio : Keyboard Sonata in G minor (Allegretto), R. 87
>Soler, Antonio : Keyboard Sonata in F major (Allegro), R. 89
>Soler, Antonio : Keyboard Sonata in E flat major (Presto), R. 2
>Soler, Antonio : Keyboard Sonata in B flat major (Andante), R. 3
>Soler, Antonio : Keyboard Sonata in F major (Allegro), R. 5
>Soler, Antonio : Keyboard Sonata in C major [Molto allegro], R. 7
>Soler, Antonio : Keyboard Sonata in B major (Andantino), R. 11
>Soler, Antonio : Keyboard Sonata in G major ("De la Codorniz"), R. 12
>Soler, Antonio : Keyboard Sonata in G major (Allegro soffribile), R. 13
>Soler, Antonio : Keyboard Sonata in G major (Allegro), R. 14
>Soler, Antonio : Keyboard Sonata in D minor (Allegretto), R. 15
>Soler, Antonio : Keyboard Sonata in D flat major (Cantabile andantino), R. 22
>Soler, Antonio : Keyboard Sonata in D flat major (Allegro), R. 23
>Soler, Antonio : Keyboard Sonata in D minor (Andantino cantabile), R. 24
>Soler, Antonio : Keyboard Sonata in D minor (Allegro), R. 25
>Soler, Antonio : Keyboard Sonata in E minor (Andantino espressivo), R. 26
>Soler, Antonio : Keyboard Sonata in E minor (Allegro), R. 27 (Marvin 6)
>Soler, Antonio : Keyboard Sonata in C major (Andantino), R. 28
>Soler, Antonio : Keyboard Sonata in C major (Allegro assai), R. 29
>Soler, Antonio : Keyboard Sonata in G major (Allegro moderato), R. 30
>Soler, Antonio : Keyboard Sonata in G major (Prestissimo), R. 31
>Soler, Antonio : Keyboard Sonata in G minor (Allegro), R. 32 (Marvin 3)
Performer Composer

Notes & Reviews:

Pieter-Jan Belder's zeal for the rediscovery of 17th-century keyboard music continues apace with this, the third volume in the first-ever projected complete set of the harpsichord sonatas by Padre Antonio Soler, contemporary and rival of Domenico Scarlatti. Like Scarlatti's examples, these sonatas are intensely colourful, alternately exuberant and poetic, and always distinctive.

Soler (1729-83) was born in Olot, Catalunia, and became a monk at Escurial where he was organist and composer. A keyboard soloist of prodigious skills, he composed many sonatas for harpsichord (although not one has survived in his hand), organ works a Requiem, piano quintets and concertos for 2 keyboards, and incidental music to plays by Calderon and other 17th century Spanish playwrights.

Much research has been carried out to establish accurate performing editions of Soler's music. The editions used in these recordings are by Professor Frederick Marvin who researched the extensive library and archives of Montserrat Monastery, El Escorial and Bibloteca de Catalunia in Barcelona in the 1940s through to the 1960s, and the edition by Padre Samuel Rubio.

Pieter-Jan Belder's zeal for the rediscovery of 17th-century keyboard music continues apace with this, the third volume in the first-ever projected complete set of the harpsichord sonatas by Padre Antonio Soler, contemporary and rival of Domenico Scarlatti. Like Scarlatti's examples, these sonatas are intensely colourful, alternately exuberant and poetic, and always distinctive. Much research has been carried out to establish accurate performing editions of Soler's music. The editions used in these recordings are by Professor Frederick Marvin who researched the extensive library and archives of Montserrat Monastery, El Escorial and Bibloteca de Catalunia in Barcelona in the 1940s through to the 1960s, and the edition by Padre Samuel Rubio.

"Stylish performances of sparkling sonatas in the mould of Scarlatti...he is also right in the groove in the sonatas, which he performs with style and clarity. If these performances are less thoughtful in approach than Bob van Asperen's in the early '90s (Auvidis Astree, 7/92), they benefit from a greater sense of spontaneity and more characterful instrumental sound. At super-budget price, it hardly needs adding that they are superb value' Vol. 1" -Gramophone May 2009

Notes & Reviews:

Recording information: Doopsgezinde Kerk Deventer (2009-03-24_2009-03-26&2009-).



Reviews

Music that slipped through the net of history
Soler's music sounds great on the piano, but Belder reminds us that in its original harpsichord incarnation it had more elegance and grace. One for Scarlatti fans looking for something a little different: http://www.classical-cd-reviews.com/2010/10/soler-complete-sonatas-vol3-pieter-jan.html
Submitted on 11/20/10 by Gavin Dixon 
Login or Create an Account to write a review
 

Also Purchased

Works Details

>Soler, Antonio : Keyboard Sonata in G major (Allegro assai), R. 82
  • Performer: Pieter-Jan Belder (Harpsichord)
  • Notes: Doopsgezinde Kerk Deventer (2009-03-24_2009-03-26&2009-)
  • Running Time: 3 min. 33 sec.
  • Period Time: Classical

>Soler, Antonio : Keyboard Sonata in F major (Allegro), R. 83
  • Performer: Pieter-Jan Belder (Harpsichord)
  • Notes: Doopsgezinde Kerk Deventer (2009-03-24_2009-03-26&2009-)
  • Running Time: 4 min. 22 sec.
  • Period Time: Classical

>Soler, Antonio : Keyboard Sonata in D major (Andantino/Allegretto), R. 86 (Marvin Urtext 7)
  • Performer: Pieter-Jan Belder (Harpsichord)
  • Notes: Doopsgezinde Kerk Deventer (2009-03-24_2009-03-26&2009-)
  • Running Time: 5 min. 23 sec.
  • Period Time: Classical

>Soler, Antonio : Keyboard Sonata in G minor (Allegretto), R. 87
  • Performer: Pieter-Jan Belder (Harpsichord)
  • Notes: Doopsgezinde Kerk Deventer (2009-03-24_2009-03-26&2009-)
  • Running Time: 5 min. 38 sec.
  • Period Time: Classical

>Soler, Antonio : Keyboard Sonata in F major (Allegro), R. 89
  • Performer: Pieter-Jan Belder (Harpsichord)
  • Notes: Doopsgezinde Kerk Deventer (2009-03-24_2009-03-26&2009-)
  • Running Time: 4 min. 22 sec.
  • Period Time: Classical

>Soler, Antonio : Keyboard Sonata in E flat major (Presto), R. 2
  • Performer: Pieter-Jan Belder (Harpsichord)
  • Notes: Doopsgezinde Kerk Deventer (2009-03-24_2009-03-26&2009-)
  • Running Time: 3 min. 47 sec.
  • Period Time: Classical

>Soler, Antonio : Keyboard Sonata in B flat major (Andante), R. 3
  • Performer: Pieter-Jan Belder (Harpsichord)
  • Notes: Doopsgezinde Kerk Deventer (2009-03-24_2009-03-26&2009-)
  • Running Time: 4 min. 57 sec.
  • Period Time: Classical

>Soler, Antonio : Keyboard Sonata in F major (Allegro), R. 5
  • Performer: Pieter-Jan Belder (Harpsichord)
  • Notes: Doopsgezinde Kerk Deventer (2009-03-24_2009-03-26&2009-)
  • Running Time: 5 min. 18 sec.
  • Period Time: Classical

>Soler, Antonio : Keyboard Sonata in C major [Molto allegro], R. 7
  • Performer: Pieter-Jan Belder (Harpsichord)
  • Notes: Doopsgezinde Kerk Deventer (2009-03-24_2009-03-26&2009-)
  • Running Time: 5 min. 16 sec.
  • Period Time: Classical

>Soler, Antonio : Keyboard Sonata in B major (Andantino), R. 11
  • Performer: Pieter-Jan Belder (Harpsichord)
  • Notes: Doopsgezinde Kerk Deventer (2009-03-24_2009-03-26&2009-)
  • Running Time: 7 min. 17 sec.
  • Period Time: Classical

>Soler, Antonio : Keyboard Sonata in G major ("De la Codorniz"), R. 12
  • Performer: Pieter-Jan Belder (Harpsichord)
  • Notes: Doopsgezinde Kerk Deventer (2009-03-24_2009-03-26&2009-)
  • Running Time: 4 min. 21 sec.
  • Period Time: Classical

>Soler, Antonio : Keyboard Sonata in G major (Allegro soffribile), R. 13
  • Performer: Pieter-Jan Belder (Harpsichord)
  • Notes: Doopsgezinde Kerk Deventer (2009-03-24_2009-03-26&2009-)
  • Running Time: 4 min. 39 sec.
  • Period Time: Classical

>Soler, Antonio : Keyboard Sonata in G major (Allegro), R. 14
  • Performer: Pieter-Jan Belder (Harpsichord)
  • Notes: Doopsgezinde Kerk Deventer (2009-03-24_2009-03-26&2009-)
  • Running Time: 4 min. 31 sec.
  • Period Time: Classical

>Soler, Antonio : Keyboard Sonata in D minor (Allegretto), R. 15
  • Performer: Pieter-Jan Belder (Harpsichord)
  • Notes: Doopsgezinde Kerk Deventer (2009-03-24_2009-03-26&2009-)
  • Running Time: 4 min. 43 sec.
  • Period Time: Classical

>Soler, Antonio : Keyboard Sonata in D flat major (Cantabile andantino), R. 22
  • Performer: Pieter-Jan Belder (Harpsichord)
  • Notes: Doopsgezinde Kerk Deventer (2009-03-24_2009-03-26&2009-)
  • Running Time: 10 min. 4 sec.
  • Period Time: Classical

>Soler, Antonio : Keyboard Sonata in D flat major (Allegro), R. 23
  • Performer: Pieter-Jan Belder (Harpsichord)
  • Notes: Doopsgezinde Kerk Deventer (2009-03-24_2009-03-26&2009-)
  • Running Time: 7 min. 8 sec.
  • Period Time: Classical

>Soler, Antonio : Keyboard Sonata in D minor (Andantino cantabile), R. 24
  • Performer: Pieter-Jan Belder (Harpsichord)
  • Notes: Doopsgezinde Kerk Deventer (2009-03-24_2009-03-26&2009-)
  • Running Time: 9 min. 48 sec.
  • Period Time: Classical

>Soler, Antonio : Keyboard Sonata in D minor (Allegro), R. 25
  • Performer: Pieter-Jan Belder (Harpsichord)
  • Notes: Doopsgezinde Kerk Deventer (2009-03-24_2009-03-26&2009-)
  • Running Time: 6 min. 1 sec.
  • Period Time: Classical

>Soler, Antonio : Keyboard Sonata in E minor (Andantino espressivo), R. 26
  • Performer: Pieter-Jan Belder (Harpsichord)
  • Notes: Doopsgezinde Kerk Deventer (2009-03-24_2009-03-26&2009-)
  • Running Time: 7 min. 16 sec.
  • Period Time: Classical

>Soler, Antonio : Keyboard Sonata in E minor (Allegro), R. 27 (Marvin 6)
  • Performer: Pieter-Jan Belder (Harpsichord)
  • Notes: Doopsgezinde Kerk Deventer (2009-03-24_2009-03-26&2009-)
  • Running Time: 5 min. 11 sec.
  • Period Time: Classical

>Soler, Antonio : Keyboard Sonata in C major (Andantino), R. 28
  • Performer: Pieter-Jan Belder (Harpsichord)
  • Notes: Doopsgezinde Kerk Deventer (2009-03-24_2009-03-26&2009-)
  • Running Time: 5 min. 58 sec.
  • Period Time: Classical

>Soler, Antonio : Keyboard Sonata in C major (Allegro assai), R. 29
  • Performer: Pieter-Jan Belder (Harpsichord)
  • Notes: Doopsgezinde Kerk Deventer (2009-03-24_2009-03-26&2009-)
  • Running Time: 2 min. 43 sec.
  • Period Time: Classical

>Soler, Antonio : Keyboard Sonata in G major (Allegro moderato), R. 30
  • Performer: Pieter-Jan Belder (Harpsichord)
  • Notes: Doopsgezinde Kerk Deventer (2009-03-24_2009-03-26&2009-)
  • Running Time: 6 min. 34 sec.
  • Period Time: Classical

>Soler, Antonio : Keyboard Sonata in G major (Prestissimo), R. 31
  • Performer: Pieter-Jan Belder (Harpsichord)
  • Notes: Doopsgezinde Kerk Deventer (2009-03-24_2009-03-26&2009-)
  • Running Time: 2 min. 16 sec.
  • Period Time: Classical

>Soler, Antonio : Keyboard Sonata in G minor (Allegro), R. 32 (Marvin 3)
  • Performer: Pieter-Jan Belder (Harpsichord)
  • Notes: Doopsgezinde Kerk Deventer (2009-03-24_2009-03-26&2009-)
  • Running Time: 4 min. 59 sec.
  • Period Time: Classical