Sari Biro Legacy: Historic Performances

Audio Samples

>Bach, Johann Sebastian : Partita for Keyboard no 2 in C minor, BWV 826
>Scarlatti, Domenico : Sonata for Harpsichord in D major, K 492/L 14
>Rameau, Jean-Philippe : Suite no 4 in A minor
>     Gavotte and Variations
>Kodaly, Zoltan [Composer] : Dances of Marosszek (Marosszeki tancok), for piano
>Milhaud, Darius : Concerto, for piano & orchestra (or 2 pianos), no 2, Op. 225
>Beethoven, Ludwig van : Sonata for Piano no 32 in C minor, Op. 111
>Bartók, Béla : 15 Hungarian Peasant Dances, Sz. 71
>     Nine Old Dance Tunes
>Weiner, Leó : Concertino for piano & orchestra, Op 15
>Scarlatti, Domenico : Sonata for Harpsichord in E major, K 380/L 23
>Scarlatti, Domenico : Sonata for Harpsichord in F minor, K 466/L 118
>Scarlatti, Domenico : Sonata for Harpsichord in F major, K 366/L 119
>Albéniz, Isaac : Espana, seis hojas de album, Op. 165
>     3. Malagueña
>Casella, Alfredo : Pezzi infantili (11), for piano, Op. 35
>Kabalevsky, Dmitri : Sonata for Piano no 3 in F major, Op. 46
>Mussorgsky, Modest : Pictures at an exhibition
>Menotti, Gian C. : Concerto for Piano in F major
>Chopin, Frédéric : Concerto for Piano no 1 in E minor, B 53/Op. 11
>     Romance (Larghetto)
>Schumann, Robert : Moderato
>Haydn, Franz Joseph : Sonata for Piano no 59 in E flat major
>Sauer, Emil von : Die Spieluhr (The Musical Box)
>Mendelssohn, Felix : Prelude & Fugue for piano in E minor/E major, Op. 35/1
>Mozart, Wolfgang Amadeus : Concerto for Piano no 24 in C minor, K 491
>Prokofiev, Sergei : Prelude in C major for piano (or harp), Op. 12/7
>Gershwin, George : Preludes (3) for piano
>Chopin, Frédéric : Mazurka for piano no 2 in C sharp minor, Op. 6/2, CT. 52
>Chopin, Frédéric : Mazurka for piano no 23 in D major, Op. 33/2, CT. 73
>Beethoven, Ludwig van : Concerto for Piano no 3 in C minor, Op. 37

Album Summary

>Bach, Johann Sebastian : Partita for Keyboard no 2 in C minor, BWV 826
>Scarlatti, Domenico : Sonata for Harpsichord in D major, K 492/L 14
>Rameau, Jean-Philippe : Suite no 4 in A minor
>Kodaly, Zoltan [Composer] : Dances of Marosszek (Marosszeki tancok), for piano
>Milhaud, Darius : Concerto, for piano & orchestra (or 2 pianos), no 2, Op. 225
>Beethoven, Ludwig van : Sonata for Piano no 32 in C minor, Op. 111
>Bartók, Béla : 15 Hungarian Peasant Dances, Sz. 71
>Weiner, Leó : Concertino for piano & orchestra, Op 15
>Scarlatti, Domenico : Sonata for Harpsichord in E major, K 380/L 23
>Scarlatti, Domenico : Sonata for Harpsichord in F minor, K 466/L 118
>Scarlatti, Domenico : Sonata for Harpsichord in F major, K 366/L 119
>Albéniz, Isaac : Espana, seis hojas de album, Op. 165
>Casella, Alfredo : Pezzi infantili (11), for piano, Op. 35
>Kabalevsky, Dmitri : Sonata for Piano no 3 in F major, Op. 46
>Mussorgsky, Modest : Pictures at an exhibition
>Menotti, Gian C. : Concerto for Piano in F major
>Chopin, Frédéric : Concerto for Piano no 1 in E minor, B 53/Op. 11
>Schumann, Robert : Moderato
>Haydn, Franz Joseph : Sonata for Piano no 59 in E flat major
>Sauer, Emil von : Die Spieluhr (The Musical Box)
>Mendelssohn, Felix : Prelude & Fugue for piano in E minor/E major, Op. 35/1
>Mozart, Wolfgang Amadeus : Concerto for Piano no 24 in C minor, K 491
>Prokofiev, Sergei : Prelude in C major for piano (or harp), Op. 12/7
>Gershwin, George : Preludes (3) for piano
>Chopin, Frédéric : Mazurka for piano no 2 in C sharp minor, Op. 6/2, CT. 52
>Chopin, Frédéric : Mazurka for piano no 23 in D major, Op. 33/2, CT. 73
>Beethoven, Ludwig van : Concerto for Piano no 3 in C minor, Op. 37
Performer Conductors Ensemble
  • >
Composers

Notes & Reviews:

In celebration of her 100th birthday, Cambria releases The Sari Biro Legacy - a 4 CD boxed set (with 44 page booklet) authorized by the Biro Estate which chronicles the Hungarian-American pianist's remarkable recording career from 1944 to 1972. Shortly before WWII, Shari came to the US from Hungary with little money and a trunk of gowns and scores. Cut off from her homeland and family because of the war, she re-launched her career in the US, not to return to Europe for 30 years. Acclaimed as one of the foremost women exponents of the keyboard by the New York Times, Sari spent the next three decades giving hundreds of piano recitals and performing with numerous orchestras throughout the United States. With an uncanny way to adjust to change, she was regularly heard on the radio (both as a recitalist and lecturer), early television and was highly sought after as a master-teacher (both in New York and later in San Francisco).



Reviews

There are currently no reviews, be the first one!
Login or Create an Account to write a review
 

Also Purchased



Previous


Next


Works Details

>Bach, Johann Sebastian : Partita for Keyboard no 2 in C minor, BWV 826
  • Performer: Sari Biro (Piano)
  • Running Time: 20 min. 17 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque
  • Written: 1726-1731

>Scarlatti, Domenico : Sonata for Harpsichord in D major, K 492/L 14
  • Performer: Sari Biro (Piano)
  • Running Time: 2 min. 1 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque
  • Written: 1756-1757

>Rameau, Jean-Philippe : Suite no 4 in A minor :: Gavotte and Variations
  • Performer: Sari Biro (Piano)
  • Running Time: 6 min. 23 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque

>Zoltán Kodály (Composer) (1882 - 1967) : Dances of Marosszék (Marosszéki táncok), for piano
  • Performer: Sari Biro (Piano)
  • Running Time: 10 min. 15 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Written: 1923-1927

>Milhaud, Darius : Concerto, for piano & orchestra (or 2 pianos), no 2, Op. 225
  • Performer: Sari Biro (Piano)
  • Conductor: Emanuel Vardi
  • Notes: Composition written: 1941.
  • Running Time: 13 min. 57 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Form: Concerto
  • Written: 1941

>Beethoven, Ludwig van : Sonata for Piano no 32 in C minor, Op. 111
  • Performer: Sari Biro (Piano)
  • Running Time: 23 min. 1 sec.
  • Period Time: Classical
  • Written: 1821-1822

>Béla Bartók (Composer) (1881 - 1945) : 15 Hungarian Peasant Dances, Sz. 71 :: Nine Old Dance Tunes
  • Performer: Sari Biro (Piano)
  • Running Time: 5 min. 14 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Written: 1914-1918

>Leó Weiner (Composer) (1885 - 1960) : Concertino for piano & orchestra, Op 15
  • Performer: Sari Biro (Piano)
  • Conductor: Emanuel Vardi
  • Running Time: 10 min. 45 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Form: Concerto

>Scarlatti, Domenico : Sonata for Harpsichord in E major, K 380/L 23
  • Performer: Sari Biro (Piano)
  • Running Time: 2 min. 50 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque
  • Written: 1756-1757

>Scarlatti, Domenico : Sonata for Harpsichord in F minor, K 466/L 118
  • Performer: Sari Biro (Piano)
  • Running Time: 2 min. 27 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque
  • Written: 1756-1757

>Scarlatti, Domenico : Sonata for Harpsichord in F major, K 366/L 119
  • Performer: Sari Biro (Piano)
  • Running Time: 2 min. 2 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque

>Isaac Albéniz (Composer) (1860 - 1909) : España, seis hojas de álbum, Op. 165 :: 3. Malagueña
  • Performer: Sari Biro (Piano)
  • Running Time: 2 min. 53 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Written: 1890

>Casella, Alfredo : Pezzi infantili (11), for piano, Op. 35
  • Performer: Sari Biro (Piano)
  • Running Time: 1 min. 34 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Written: 1920

>Kabalevsky, Dmitri : Sonata for Piano no 3 in F major, Op. 46
  • Performer: Sari Biro (Piano)
  • Notes: Composition written: 1946.
  • Running Time: 14 min. 32 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Written: 1946

>Mussorgsky, Modest : Pictures at an exhibition
  • Performer: Sari Biro (Piano)
  • Running Time: 26 min. 15 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Written: 1874

>Menotti, Gian C. : Concerto for Piano in F major
  • Performer: Sari Biro (Piano)
  • Conductor: Emanuel Vardi
  • Running Time: 13 min. 44 sec.
  • Period Time: Contemporary
  • Form: Concerto
  • Written: 1945

>Frédéric Chopin (1810 - 1849) : Concerto for Piano no 1 in E minor, B 53/Op. 11 :: Romance (Larghetto)
  • Performer: Sari Biro (Piano)
  • Conductor: Emanuel Vardi
  • Running Time: 8 min. 27 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Form: Concerto
  • Written: 1830

>Schumann, Robert : Moderato
  • Performer: Sari Biro (Piano)
  • Running Time: 9 min. 28 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Written: 1829-1831

>Haydn, Franz Joseph : Sonata for Piano no 59 in E flat major
  • Performer: Sari Biro (Piano)
  • Notes: Composition written: 1789-90.
  • Running Time: 17 min. 33 sec.
  • Period Time: Classical
  • Written: 1789-1790

>Sauer, Emil von : Die Spieluhr (The Musical Box)
  • Performer: Sari Biro (Piano)
  • Running Time: 2 min. 39 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern

>Mendelssohn, Felix : Prelude & Fugue for piano in E minor/E major, Op. 35/1
  • Performer: Sari Biro (Piano)
  • Notes: Composition written: 06/16/1827-??/??/1836.
  • Running Time: 2 min. 56 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic

>Mozart, Wolfgang Amadeus : Concerto for Piano no 24 in C minor, K 491
  • Performer: Sari Biro (Piano)
  • Conductor: Wilhelm Loibner
  • Running Time: 31 min. 31 sec.
  • Period Time: Classical
  • Form: Concerto
  • Written: 1786

>Prokofiev, Sergei : Prelude in C major for piano (or harp), Op. 12/7
  • Performer: Sari Biro (Piano)
  • Running Time: 2 min. 4 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Written: 1913

>Gershwin, George : Preludes (3) for piano
  • Performer: Sari Biro (Piano)
  • Running Time: 5 min. 7 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Written: 1926

>Frédéric Chopin (1810 - 1849) : Mazurka for piano no 2 in C sharp minor, Op. 6/2, CT. 52
  • Performer: Sari Biro (Piano)
  • Running Time: 1 min. 55 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Written: 1830-1832

>Frédéric Chopin (1810 - 1849) : Mazurka for piano no 23 in D major, Op. 33/2, CT. 73
  • Performer: Sari Biro (Piano)
  • Running Time: 2 min. 16 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Written: 1837

>Beethoven, Ludwig van : Concerto for Piano no 3 in C minor, Op. 37
  • Performer: Sari Biro (Piano)
  • Conductor: Emanuel Vardi
  • Running Time: 34 min. 27 sec.
  • Period Time: Classical
  • Form: Concerto
  • Written: 1800-1803