1 800 222 6872

My Classical Way / Philippe Saisse

Album Summary

>Antoine, Marc [Guitar] : Carmen B, for guitar & ensemble (after Bizet's "Carmen")
>Antoine, Marc [Guitar] : Caprice, for guitar & ensemble (after Paganini's Caprice no 24)
>Antoine, Marc [Guitar] : Dreamer, for guitar & ensemble (after Debussy's Reverie)
>Antoine, Marc [Guitar] : Canon, for guitar & ensemble (after Pachelbel)
>Antoine, Marc [Guitar] : Wolfgang 40, for guitar & ensemble (after Mozart's Symphony no 40)
>Antoine, Marc [Guitar] : Concierto, for guitar & ensemble (after Rodrigo's "Concierto de Aranjuez")
>Antoine, Marc [Guitar] : Air on Madrid, for guitar & ensemble (after Bach's "Air on the G String")
>Antoine, Marc [Guitar] : Opus, for guitar & ensemble (after Chopin, Op. 23)
>Antoine, Marc [Guitar] : Rebirth, for guitar & ensemble (after Vivaldi's "Four Seasons")
>Antoine, Marc [Guitar] : Maria's Song, for guitar & ensemble (after Gounod's "Ave Maria")
Performers Composer
  • >
Notes & Reviews:

Recording information: Frogland Studio, Madrid, Spain.

Marc Antoine's "classical way" is to take familiar melodies from the classical repertoire and play them on his nylon-string Spanish guitar over his usual selection of samba, bossa nova, and smooth jazz arrangements. He establishes his approach right away with "Carmen B," borrowed from, you guessed it, Bizet's Carmen, which pays no attention to the dramatic context the tune had in the original opera, but instead becomes a pretty melody prettily played. And so it goes with warhorses by the likes of Bach, Mozart, and Chopin. Particularly interesting is Antoine's take on Pachelbel's Canon, with presents the melody over a folkish arrangement that recalls the Velvet Underground's "Sweet Jane." The album's gimmick doesn't allow Antoine much room for jazz improvisation; rather, the jazz creativity lies largely in the arrangements and in the concept itself. Classical fans probably won't be amused, if they even become aware of the album. Some jazz fans may be pleased that Antoine is stretching beyond his usual smooth jazz comfort zone. ~ William Ruhlmann



Reviews

There are currently no reviews, be the first one!
Login or Create an Account to write a review
 

Also Purchased

Works Details

>Antoine, Marc [Guitar] : Carmen B, for guitar & ensemble (after Bizet's "Carmen")
  • Performers: Marc Antoine (Guitar); Jasmine Roy (Voice)
  • Running Time: 3 min. 45 sec.
  • Period Time: Contemporary

>Antoine, Marc [Guitar] : Caprice, for guitar & ensemble (after Paganini's Caprice no 24)
  • Performer: Marc Antoine (Guitar)
  • Running Time: 3 min. 20 sec.
  • Period Time: Contemporary

>Antoine, Marc [Guitar] : Dreamer, for guitar & ensemble (after Debussy's Reverie)
  • Performers: Marc Antoine (Guitar); Philippe Saisse (Keyboards); Rebeca Vega (Voice)
  • Running Time: 4 min. 21 sec.
  • Period Time: Contemporary

>Antoine, Marc [Guitar] : Canon, for guitar & ensemble (after Pachelbel)
  • Performer: Marc Antoine (Guitar)
  • Running Time: 4 min. 2 sec.
  • Period Time: Contemporary

>Antoine, Marc [Guitar] : Wolfgang 40, for guitar & ensemble (after Mozart's Symphony no 40)
  • Performer: Marc Antoine (Guitar)
  • Running Time: 3 min. 41 sec.
  • Period Time: Contemporary

>Antoine, Marc [Guitar] : Concierto, for guitar & ensemble (after Rodrigo's "Concierto de Aranjuez")
  • Performers: Marc Antoine (Guitar); Philippe Saisse (Keyboards)
  • Running Time: 3 min. 35 sec.
  • Period Time: Contemporary

>Antoine, Marc [Guitar] : Air on Madrid, for guitar & ensemble (after Bach's "Air on the G String")
  • Performer: Marc Antoine (Guitar)
  • Running Time: 4 min. 26 sec.
  • Period Time: Contemporary

>Antoine, Marc [Guitar] : Opus, for guitar & ensemble (after Chopin, Op. 23)
  • Performer: Marc Antoine (Guitar)
  • Running Time: 3 min. 9 sec.
  • Period Time: Contemporary

>Antoine, Marc [Guitar] : Rebirth, for guitar & ensemble (after Vivaldi's "Four Seasons")
  • Performer: Marc Antoine (Guitar)
  • Running Time: 3 min. 55 sec.
  • Period Time: Contemporary

>Antoine, Marc [Guitar] : Maria's Song, for guitar & ensemble (after Gounod's "Ave Maria")
  • Performer: Marc Antoine (Guitar)
  • Running Time: 4 min. 49 sec.
  • Period Time: Contemporary