- Holst — The Planets, Op. 32: I. Mars, the Bringer of War $0.99 on iTunes
- Holst — The Planets, Op. 32: II. Venus, the Bringer of Peace $0.99 on iTunes
- Holst — The Planets, Op. 32: III. Mercury, the Winged Messenger $0.99 on iTunes
- Holst — The Planets, Op. 32: IV. Jupiter, the Bringer of Jollity $0.99 on iTunes
- Holst — The Planets, Op. 32: V. Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age $0.99 on iTunes
- Holst — The Planets, Op. 32: VI. Uranus, the Magician $0.99 on iTunes
- Holst — The Planets, Op. 32: VII. Neptune, the Mystic $0.99 on iTunes
Notes & Reviews:
Few composers have achieved such success with a single work as Holst with 'The Planets'. Each movement expresses the planet's supposed astrological character, and the colourful orchestration and memorable melodies ensure its immediate and ongoing popularity. It's hard to believe now that it was a groundbreaking work - a huge, multi-movement piece that finally fades into ethereal silence as wordless voices disappear into outer space. This rousing performance was conducted by the London Philharmonic Orchestra's Principal Conductor, Vladimir Jurowski.
"Brisk tempos and a brilliant, brassy sound distinguish this version of Holst's best-loved work...hats off to the energy and commitment of the LPO players." -The Telegraph
”Given the fact that this is a live recording the sonics are amazingly good. The organ pedals are well-caught and sound distinct from the bass drum. Orchestral sections are finely balanced; there's a touch of breathing from the flutes, but nothing annoying, and the audience is very quiet. At a time when tempos seem to be getting ever slower, except in the "period performance" movement where speed substitutes for feeling, it's wonderful to have a performance that grabs a warhorse like this by the scruff of the neck and gives it a good, healthy shake.”-Classicstoday.comNotes & Reviews:
Recording information: Southbank Centre's Royal Festival Hall, London (05/22/2009).
Submitted on 06/24/11 by RollTideGirl
Bach: Brandenburg Concertos / Café Zimmermann Ens.
Bruckner: Symphony No. 6 / Eschenbach
Ikon II / Stephen Layton
Brahms: The Complete Variations / Ohlsson
Beethoven: Late Quartets / Tokyo Quartet
Sospiri / Cecilia Bartoli
Santo: Sacred Songs / Juan Diego Flórez
Tangos for Piano / Amy Briggs
Chopin: Piano Concerto No. 2; Variations on "La ci darem"
Works DetailsHolst, Gustav : The Planets, Op. 32/H 125
- Conductor: Vladimir Jurowski
- Running Time: 41 min. 42 sec.
- Period Time: Post Romantic
- Written: 1914-1916