1 800 222 6872

Life With Czech Music: Janacek, Martinu [4 CDs +DVD]

Audio Samples

>Janácek, Leos : Jealousy
>Janácek, Leos : The Cunning Little Vixen, suite for orchestra (arranged and orchestrated by Vaclav Talich)
>Janácek, Leos : Sarka, opera in 3 acts
>     Overture
>Janácek, Leos : Taras Bulba
>Janácek, Leos : Kata Kabanova, opera in 3 acts
>     Act 1. Overture
>     Act 1. Intermezzo
>     Act 2. Intermezzo
>Janácek, Leos : Schluck und Jau, incidental music, JW 9/11 (unfinished)
>Janácek, Leos : Sinfonietta
>Word, Spoken : Interview with Sir Charles Mackerras
>Janácek, Leos : Glagolitic Mass
>Janácek, Leos : Amarus, cantata for soprano, tenor, baritone, chorus & orchestra, JW 3/6
>Martinu, Bohuslav : Julietta, suite from the opera, H. 253b (arranged by Vostrak)
>Martinu, Bohuslav : Polni Mse (Field Mass), cantata for baritone, male chorus, winds, piano, harmonium & percussion, H.
>Martinu, Bohuslav : Double Concerto for 2 string orchestras, piano & timpani, H. 271
>Martinu, Bohuslav : Frescoes of Piero della Francesca, for orchestra, H. 352

Album Summary

>Janácek, Leos : Jealousy
>Janácek, Leos : The Cunning Little Vixen, suite for orchestra (arranged and orchestrated by Vaclav Talich)
>Janácek, Leos : Sarka, opera in 3 acts
>Janácek, Leos : Taras Bulba
>Janácek, Leos : Kata Kabanova, opera in 3 acts
>Janácek, Leos : Schluck und Jau, incidental music, JW 9/11 (unfinished)
>Janácek, Leos : Sinfonietta
>Word, Spoken : Interview with Sir Charles Mackerras
>Janácek, Leos : Glagolitic Mass
>Janácek, Leos : Amarus, cantata for soprano, tenor, baritone, chorus & orchestra, JW 3/6
>Martinu, Bohuslav : Julietta, suite from the opera, H. 253b (arranged by Vostrak)
>Martinu, Bohuslav : Polni Mse (Field Mass), cantata for baritone, male chorus, winds, piano, harmonium & percussion, H.
>Martinu, Bohuslav : Double Concerto for 2 string orchestras, piano & timpani, H. 271
>Martinu, Bohuslav : Frescoes of Piero della Francesca, for orchestra, H. 352
Performers Conductor Ensemble
  • >
Composers

Notes & Reviews:

In commemoration of the death of Sir Charles Mackerras (1926 – 2010), Supraphon presents one of two reissue compilations entitled Life with Czech Music, here devoted to the music of Leo Janacek and Bohuslav Martinu. Included on this selection is a DVD featuring three Czech mastworks, Janacek’s Glagolitic Mass and Jealousy, and Martinu’s Taras Bulba. An authentic audio recording of an interview with Sir Charles is included on the CDs.



Reviews

There are currently no reviews, be the first one!
Login or Create an Account to write a review
 

Also Purchased



Previous


Next


Works Details

>Leos Janácek (Composer) (1854 - 1928) : Jealousy
  • Conductor: Charles Mackerras
  • Running Time: 5 min. 36 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Form: Orchestral
  • Written: 1894
  • Studio/Live: Live

>Leos Janácek (Composer) (1854 - 1928) : The Cunning Little Vixen, suite for orchestra (arranged and orchestrated by Václav Talich)
  • Conductor: Charles Mackerras
  • Notes: Rudolfinum, Prague (10/17/2002-10/18/2002)
  • Running Time: 19 min. 40 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Studio/Live: Live

>Leos Janácek (Composer) (1854 - 1928) : Sárka, opera in 3 acts :: Overture
  • Conductor: Charles Mackerras
  • Running Time: 4 min. 10 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Form: Opera/Operetta
  • Written: by 08/1887

>Leos Janácek (Composer) (1854 - 1928) : Taras Bulba
  • Conductor: Charles Mackerras
  • Running Time: 22 min. 56 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Written: 1915-1918
  • Studio/Live: Live

>Leos Janácek (Composer) (1854 - 1928) : Káta Kabanová, opera in 3 acts :: Act 1. Overture
  • Conductor: Charles Mackerras
  • Notes: Rudolfinum, Prague (03/21/1997-03/27/1997)
  • Running Time: 4 min. 21 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Form: Opera/Operetta

>Leos Janácek (Composer) (1854 - 1928) : Káta Kabanová, opera in 3 acts :: Act 1. Intermezzo
  • Conductor: Charles Mackerras
  • Notes: Rudolfinum, Prague (03/21/1997-03/27/1997)
  • Running Time: 1 min. 19 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Form: Opera/Operetta

>Leos Janácek (Composer) (1854 - 1928) : Káta Kabanová, opera in 3 acts :: Act 2. Intermezzo
  • Conductor: Charles Mackerras
  • Notes: Rudolfinum, Prague (03/21/1997-03/27/1997)
  • Running Time: 1 min. 6 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Form: Opera/Operetta

>Leos Janácek (Composer) (1854 - 1928) : Schluck und Jau, incidental music, JW 9/11 (unfinished)
  • Conductor: Charles Mackerras
  • Notes: Composition written: ?05/31/1928-06/05/1928.
  • Running Time: 9 min. 19 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic

>Leos Janácek (Composer) (1854 - 1928) : Sinfonietta
  • Conductor: Charles Mackerras
  • Notes: Rudolfinum, Prague (10/17/2002-10/18/2002)
  • Running Time: 23 min. 24 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Form: Orchestral
  • Written: 1926
  • Studio/Live: Live

>Word, Spoken : Interview with Sir Charles Mackerras
  • Running Time: 12 min. 27 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic

>Leos Janácek (Composer) (1854 - 1928) : Glagolitic Mass
  • Conductor: Charles Mackerras
  • Notes: Rudolfinum, Prague (01/27/1984-01/30/1984)
  • Running Time: 38 min. 21 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Form: Choral
  • Written: 1926-1927

>Leos Janácek (Composer) (1854 - 1928) : Amarus, cantata for soprano, tenor, baritone, chorus & orchestra, JW 3/6
  • Performer: Vaclav Zitek (Voice)
  • Conductor: Charles Mackerras
  • Notes: Rudolfinum, Prague (01/27/1984-01/30/1984)
  • Running Time: 28 min. 48 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Form: Cantata/Oratorio
  • Written: 1896-1897

>Martinu, Bohuslav : Julietta, suite from the opera, H. 253b (arranged by Vostrák)
  • Conductor: Charles Mackerras
  • Notes: Composition written: 05/17/1936-01/24/1937.
  • Running Time: 13 min. 24 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern

>Martinu, Bohuslav : Polní Mse (Field Mass), cantata for baritone, male chorus, winds, piano, harmonium & percussion, H.
  • Performer: Vaclav Zitek (Voice)
  • Conductor: Charles Mackerras
  • Running Time: 25 min. 5 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Form: Cantata/Oratorio

>Martinu, Bohuslav : Double Concerto for 2 string orchestras, piano & timpani, H. 271
  • Performers: Jan Bouse (Timpani); Josef Ruzicka (Piano)
  • Conductor: Charles Mackerras
  • Notes: Composition written: 08/??/1938-09/29/1938.
  • Running Time: 21 min. 8 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern

>Martinu, Bohuslav : Frescoes of Piero della Francesca, for orchestra, H. 352
  • Conductor: Charles Mackerras
  • Notes: Composition written: 02/20/1955-04/13/1955.
  • Running Time: 17 min. 36 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern