- Mahler — Symphony No. 2 in C minor, "Resurrection": I. Allegro maestoso
- Mahler — Symphony No. 2 in C minor, "Resurrection": II. Andante moderato
- Mahler — Symphony No. 2 in C minor, "Resurrection": III. In ruhig fliessender Bewegung
- Mahler — Symphony No. 2 in C minor, "Resurrection": IV. Urlicht: Sehr feierlich, aber schlicht $0.99 on iTunes
- Mahler — Symphony No. 2 in C minor, "Resurrection": V. Finale: Im Tempo des Scherzos
- Stefania Woytowicz (Soprano)
Notes & Reviews:
This blazing account from 1965 of Mahler's titanic 'Resurrection' Symphony in brilliant stereo sound, now available for the very first time on CD, confirms his authority as a great Mahlerian.
American Record Guide
A few orchestral weaknesses show up here and there... but there is nothing that intrudes on the performance. The orchestra plays up a storm for Steinberg. The sound is very good for a broadcast tape, and there is little gain-riding. The notes tell us some interesting things about Steinberg's Mahler. This is not the lushest Mahler Second, but it is exciting and one of the most enjoyable recordings of the work that I've heard for a while.
The newly launched ICA Classics label has come up with at least a couple of real gems. Readers who, like me, have an aversion to overly luxuriant, emotionally manipulative Mahler will delight in William Steinberg's clear-headed 1965 Cologne Radio Symphony Orchestra broadcast of the Resurrection Symphony, a startlingly direct statement of a score that is too often treated to extremes of mood and tempo. Steinberg's straightforward route means that the great climactic denouement is both well timed and genuinely uplifting. The soprano Stefania Woytowicz is the more convincing of Steinberg's two soloists.
Recording information: Saal 1, Funkhaus, Cologne (09/10/1965).
ReviewsThere are currently no reviews, be the first one!
Brahms: Symphony No. 1; Elgar: Enigma Variations / Boult
Wagner: Orchestral Excerpts; Franck, Faure / Munch/Boston SO [DVD]
Mahler: Symphony No. 3; Debussy: La Mer / Mitropoulos
Nino Rota: Symphony No. 3; Divertimento Concertante; Concerto Soirée
Le Divin Arcadelt: Candlemas in Renaissance Rome - music by De Silva and Palestrina / Musica Contexta
York Bowen: Symphonies Nos. 1 and 2 / A. Davis
Britten: Phaedra; A Charm of Lullabies; Lachrymae / Sarah Connolly
Piano Works by The Mighty Handful
Weinberg: Symphony 3; "Golden Key" Suite
Works DetailsMahler, Gustav : Symphony no 2 in C minor "Resurrection"
- Performer: Stefania Woytowicz (Soprano)
- Conductor: William Steinberg
- Running Time: 78 min. 54 sec.
- Period Time: Post Romantic
- Form: Orchestral
- Written: 1888-1894