- Tschaikowsky — Symphony No. 6 in B minor, Op. 74, "Pathetique": I. Adagio - Allegro non troppo - Andante - Moerato mosso - Andante - Moderato assai - Allegro vivo -
- Tschaikowsky — Symphony No. 6 in B minor, Op. 74, "Pathetique": II. Allegro con gracia $0.99 on iTunes
- Tschaikowsky — Symphony No. 6 in B minor, Op. 74, "Pathetique": III. Allegro molto vivace $0.99 on iTunes
- Tschaikowsky — Symphony No. 6 in B minor, Op. 74, "Pathetique": IV. Finale: Adagio lamentoso - Andante
Notes & Reviews:
World Premiere Recording: After the release of the "Manfred" Symphony, which began the Cologne orchestra's Tchaikovsky cycle, Dmitri Kitayenko and the Gürzenich Orchestra take on the composer's more popular symphony, the "Pathetique." Kitayenko was appointed honorary conductor of the Orchestra in March 2009 and has studied in Moscow with Leo Ginzburg and in Vienna with Hans Svarovsky.
American Record Guide
... this is one of the finest recordings I've heard in a while, and certainly the single BEST Tchaikovsky performance I've ever heard from this conductor...
The Gürzenich-Orchester Köln is plainly a fine ensemble: poised, cultured, eminently articulate. The arrival of the first movement's second subject is well timed and tender, the tone not at all "overt", the phrasing very gracious. Beautiful clarinet-playing invokes a faded memory of it, a seamless switch to bass clarinet probing unfathomable darkness. But the seismic arrival of the development is at once too emphatic, too "controlled". As it spills over into that deep sostenuto in the strings, the sheer intensity of the sound is impressive with Kitajenko urging his first trumpet to twist the knife on the harmony. But still the feeling of a cool head prevails.
Recording information: Probensaal der Städt, Bühnen Köln (01/2010).
ReviewsThere are currently no reviews, be the first one!
Tchaikovsky: Symphony no 2; Rococo Variations; Andante Cantabile / Dmitrij Kitajenko, cello
Tchaikovsky: Symphony No. 7 in E flat; Piano Concerto No. 3 / Lilya Zilberstein, piano
Tchaikovsky: Symphony No. 5; Pique Dame Overture / Dmitrij Kitajenko
Gustav Mahler: Symphony No. 3 / Michaela Schuster, alto - Markus Stenz
Tschaikovsky: Symphonie Nr. 1; Snow Maiden (Excerpts) / Dmitri Kitajenko
Gustav Mahler: Symphonie no 1 / Markus Stenz
Gustav Mahler: Symphonie No. 8 / Markus Stenz, Guerzenich Orchestra Cologne
Tschaikowsky: Symphony no 3; Sleeping Beauty, suite / Dmittrij Kitajenko
Mahler: Symphony No. 7 / Markus Stenz
Works DetailsTchaikovsky, Peter Ilyich : Symphony no 6 in B minor ("Pathétique"), Op. 74
- Conductor: Dmitri Kitayenko
- Running Time: 51 min. 6 sec.
- Period Time: Romantic
- Form: Orchestral
- Written: 1893