Personnel: Ella Fitzgerald (vocals); Paul Smith (piano); Jim Hall (guitar); Wilfred Middlebrooks (bass); Gus Johnson (drums).
Reissue producer: Phil Schaap.
Recorded live at Deutschlandhallen, West Berlin, West Germany on February 13, 1960. Includes liner notes by Dan Morgenstern.
The reissue of THE COMPLETE ELLA IN BERLIN... contains 4 tracks not included on the original release: "That Old Black Magic," "Our Love Is Here To Stay," "Love For Sale," and "Just One Of Thoses Things."
This LP is a classic. Ella Fitzgerald is heard at the peak of her powers during a Berlin concert that is famous for her unique version of "Mack the Knife"; when she forgot the words in mid-performance, she substituted spontaneous and remarkable lyrics of her own. All of the music (plus four other titles from the same concert) have been reissued on CD but, in one form or another, this music (which also includes a hot version of "How High the Moon") is essential for all serious jazz collections. ~ Scott Yanow
ReviewsThere are currently no reviews, be the first one!
- Duke: The Last Jam Session [DVD] (Ellington, Duke)
- Ella & Basie The Perfect Match '79 (Basie, Count)
- Les 5 Plus Grandes Divas Du Jazz [Box] (Washington, Dinah)
- The Stockholm Concert, 1966 (Ellington, Duke)
- To Ella with Love (Callaway, Ann Hampton)
- Ella & Duke at the Cote D'Azur (Ellington, Duke)
- Stockholm Concert (Ellington, Duke)
- Sing Me a Swing Song (Webb, Chick)
- That's My Desire (Wilson, Nancy)