Birth of the Strings: Amati; Stainer, Stradivari / Julius Berger, cello; Rebekka Hartmann, violini

> Violin Suite in A major - I. Prelude
> Violin Suite in A major - II. Allemande
> Violin Suite in A major - III. Courante
> Violin Suite in A major - IV. Sarabande
> Violin Suite in A major - V. Gigue
> Passacaglia in G minor - Passacaglia in G minor
> Violin Sonata in A minor - I. (Largo)
> Violin Sonata in A minor - II. Allegro
> Violin Sonata in A minor - III. Giga: Variation
> Etude - Etude
> Fantasia in A minor - Fantasia in A minor
> Amusement pour le violon seul compose de plusieurs airs varies de differens auteurs, Op. 18 - Amusement pour le violon seul compose de plusieurs airs varies de differens auteurs, Op. 18: La Furstemberg
> Partite for Violin Solo in D minor - I. Grave
> Partite for Violin Solo in D minor - II. Fuga
> Partite for Violin Solo in D minor - III. Gigue
> Partite for Violin Solo in D minor - IV. Ciacona - Gigue
> Partite for Violin Solo in D minor - V. Courante - Gigue
> String Quartet No. 11 in D minor, Op. 9, No. 4, Hob.III:22 - III. Cantabile: Adagio
> String Quartet No. 11 in D minor, Op. 9, No. 4, Hob.III:22 - IV. Presto

Album Summary

>Degli Antoni, Giovanni B. : Ricercata prima for cello, Op. 1/1
>Degli Antoni, Giovanni B. : Ricercata seconda for cello, Op. 1/2
>Degli Antoni, Giovanni B. : Ricercar no 3 in F major, for cello
>Degli Antoni, Giovanni B. : Ricercata quarta for cello, Op. 1/4
>Degli Antoni, Giovanni B. : Ricercata quinta for cello, Op. 1/5
>Degli Antoni, Giovanni B. : Ricercata sesta for cello, Op. 1/6
>Degli Antoni, Giovanni B. : Ricercata settima for cello, Op. 1/7
>Degli Antoni, Giovanni B. : Ricercata ottava for cello, Op. 1/8
>Degli Antoni, Giovanni B. : Ricercata nona for cello, Op. 1/9
>Degli Antoni, Giovanni B. : Ricercar no 10 in G minor, for cello
>Degli Antoni, Giovanni B. : Ricercata undecima for cello, Op. 1/11
>Degli Antoni, Giovanni B. : Ricercata duodecima for cello, Op. 1/12
>Gabrielli, Domenico : Ricercar for cello solo no 1 in G minor
>Gabrielli, Domenico : Ricercar for cello solo no 2 in A minor
>Gabrielli, Domenico : Ricercar for cello solo no 3 in D major
>Gabrielli, Domenico : Ricercar for cello solo no 4 in E flat major
>Gabrielli, Domenico : Ricercar for cello solo no 5 in C major
>Gabrielli, Domenico : Ricercar for cello solo no 6 in G major
>Gabrielli, Domenico : Ricercar for cello solo no 7 in D minor
>Scarlatti, Alessandro : Sonate a quattro for string quartet no 4 in D minor ("Quartet Sonata")
>Sammartini, Giovanni Battista : Symphony for 2 violins, viola & bass in G major, J-C 39
>Mozart, Wolfgang Amadeus : Quartet for Strings no 1 in G major ("Lodi"), K. 80 (K. 73f)
>Boccherini, Luigi : Quartet for Strings in C minor, G. 159 (Op. 2/1)
>Haydn, Franz Joseph : Quartet for Strings in D minor, Op. 9 no 4/H 3 no 22
>Westhoff, Johann Paul von : Suite for Violin solo no 2 in A major
>Biber, Heinrich Ignaz : Passacaglia for Violin solo in G minor
>Pisendel, Johann Georg : Sonata for Violin Solo in A minor
>Geminiani, Francesco : Art of Playing the Violin
>Matteis, Nicola : Fantasia for violin
>Guillemain, Louis-Gabriel : Amusement pour le violon seul La Furstenberg
>Rust, Friedrich Wilhelm : Partite for violin in D minor
>Unspecified : [CD-ROM Track]
Performers Composers

Notes & Reviews:

The invention of the violin, violoncello, viola, and later the double may arguably be equated with the birth of classical music as we know it today. These instruments irrevocably set out on their triumphal march through the world of music and have stayed the essence of classical music ever since then. This CD box contains an idea as ambitious as it is bafflingly simple: enabling the listener to hear an instrument that is the oldest of its kind playing the oldest known solo repertoire for that instrument. Includes: Birth of the Cello, Birth of the String Quartet, and Birth of the Violin.

Chicago Tribune
The concept is so simple that you wonder why nobody thought of it before: Some of the oldest-known string repertory from the Baroque and Classical eras is played on some of the oldest instruments of their kind. One disc is devoted to first recordings of violin works played by Rebekka Hartmann on historic Amati and Stradivari violins. A second offers Italian Baroque ricercari performed by Julius Berger on a 1566 Amati cello. The third, by the casalQuartett, examines the birth of the string quartet through works by Haydn, Mozart and their contemporaries. Handsome packaging and recorded sound do credit to the stylish performances.



Reviews

There are currently no reviews, be the first one!
Login or Create an Account to write a review
 

Also Purchased



Previous


Next


Works Details

>Degli Antoni, Giovanni B. : Ricercata prima for cello, Op. 1/1
  • Performer: Julius Berger (Cello)
  • Notes: Alte Kirche Boswil (2007-05-28_2007-05-30&2007-)
  • Running Time: 2 min. 17 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque

>Degli Antoni, Giovanni B. : Ricercata seconda for cello, Op. 1/2
  • Performer: Julius Berger (Cello)
  • Notes: Alte Kirche Boswil (2007-05-28_2007-05-30&2007-)
  • Running Time: 4 min. 38 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque

>Degli Antoni, Giovanni B. : Ricercar no 3 in F major, for cello
  • Performer: Julius Berger (Cello)
  • Notes: Alte Kirche Boswil (2007-05-28_2007-05-30&2007-)
  • Running Time: 2 min. 29 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque

>Degli Antoni, Giovanni B. : Ricercata quarta for cello, Op. 1/4
  • Performer: Julius Berger (Cello)
  • Notes: Alte Kirche Boswil (2007-05-28_2007-05-30&2007-)
  • Running Time: 3 min. 41 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque

>Degli Antoni, Giovanni B. : Ricercata quinta for cello, Op. 1/5
  • Performer: Julius Berger (Cello)
  • Notes: Alte Kirche Boswil (2007-05-28_2007-05-30&2007-)
  • Running Time: 4 min. 26 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque

>Degli Antoni, Giovanni B. : Ricercata sesta for cello, Op. 1/6
  • Performer: Julius Berger (Cello)
  • Notes: Alte Kirche Boswil (2007-05-28_2007-05-30&2007-)
  • Running Time: 5 min. 30 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque

>Degli Antoni, Giovanni B. : Ricercata settima for cello, Op. 1/7
  • Performer: Julius Berger (Cello)
  • Notes: Alte Kirche Boswil (2007-05-28_2007-05-30&2007-)
  • Running Time: 3 min. 46 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque

>Degli Antoni, Giovanni B. : Ricercata ottava for cello, Op. 1/8
  • Performer: Julius Berger (Cello)
  • Notes: Alte Kirche Boswil (2007-05-28_2007-05-30&2007-)
  • Running Time: 4 min. 10 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque

>Degli Antoni, Giovanni B. : Ricercata nona for cello, Op. 1/9
  • Performer: Julius Berger (Cello)
  • Notes: Alte Kirche Boswil (2007-05-28_2007-05-30&2007-)
  • Running Time: 2 min. 31 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque

>Degli Antoni, Giovanni B. : Ricercar no 10 in G minor, for cello
  • Performer: Julius Berger (Cello)
  • Notes: Alte Kirche Boswil (2007-05-28_2007-05-30&2007-)
  • Running Time: 4 min. sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque

>Degli Antoni, Giovanni B. : Ricercata undecima for cello, Op. 1/11
  • Performer: Julius Berger (Cello)
  • Notes: Alte Kirche Boswil (2007-05-28_2007-05-30&2007-)
  • Running Time: 3 min. 15 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque

>Degli Antoni, Giovanni B. : Ricercata duodecima for cello, Op. 1/12
  • Performer: Julius Berger (Cello)
  • Notes: Alte Kirche Boswil (2007-05-28_2007-05-30&2007-)
  • Running Time: 4 min. 46 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque

>Gabrielli, Domenico : Ricercar for cello solo no 1 in G minor
  • Performer: Julius Berger (Cello)
  • Notes: Alte Kirche Boswil (2007-05-28_2007-05-30&2007-)
  • Running Time: 2 min. 20 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque

>Gabrielli, Domenico : Ricercar for cello solo no 2 in A minor
  • Performer: Julius Berger (Cello)
  • Notes: Alte Kirche Boswil (2007-05-28_2007-05-30&2007-)
  • Running Time: 7 min. 39 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque

>Gabrielli, Domenico : Ricercar for cello solo no 3 in D major
  • Performer: Julius Berger (Cello)
  • Notes: Alte Kirche Boswil (2007-05-28_2007-05-30&2007-)
  • Running Time: 3 min. 5 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque

>Gabrielli, Domenico : Ricercar for cello solo no 4 in E flat major
  • Performer: Julius Berger (Cello)
  • Notes: Alte Kirche Boswil (2007-05-28_2007-05-30&2007-)
  • Running Time: 5 min. 21 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque

>Gabrielli, Domenico : Ricercar for cello solo no 5 in C major
  • Performer: Julius Berger (Cello)
  • Notes: Alte Kirche Boswil (2007-05-28_2007-05-30&2007-)
  • Running Time: 1 min. 51 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque

>Gabrielli, Domenico : Ricercar for cello solo no 6 in G major
  • Performer: Julius Berger (Cello)
  • Notes: Alte Kirche Boswil (2007-05-28_2007-05-30&2007-)
  • Running Time: 3 min. 5 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque

>Gabrielli, Domenico : Ricercar for cello solo no 7 in D minor
  • Performer: Julius Berger (Cello)
  • Notes: Alte Kirche Boswil (2007-05-28_2007-05-30&2007-)
  • Running Time: 5 min. 32 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque
  • Written: 16th Century

>Scarlatti, Alessandro : Sonate a quattro for string quartet no 4 in D minor ("Quartet Sonata")
  • Running Time: 2 min. sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque
  • Form: Chamber Music

>Sammartini, Giovanni Battista : Symphony for 2 violins, viola & bass in G major, J-C 39
  • Running Time: 4 min. 4 sec.
  • Period Time: Classical
  • Form: Orchestral

>Mozart, Wolfgang Amadeus : Quartet for Strings no 1 in G major ("Lodi"), K. 80 (K. 73f)
  • Notes: Composition written: 1770.
  • Running Time: 15 min. 28 sec.
  • Period Time: Classical
  • Written: 1770

>Boccherini, Luigi : Quartet for Strings in C minor, G. 159 (Op. 2/1)
  • Running Time: 19 min. 17 sec.
  • Period Time: Classical
  • Form: Chamber Music
  • Written: 1761

>Haydn, Franz Joseph : Quartet for Strings in D minor, Op. 9 no 4/H 3 no 22
  • Running Time: 17 min. 29 sec.
  • Period Time: Classical
  • Form: Chamber Music
  • Written: ?1769-70

>Westhoff, Johann Paul von : Suite for Violin solo no 2 in A major
  • Performer: Rebekka Hartmann (Violin)
  • Notes: Holzmühle, Seeshaupt (04/11/2011-04/13/2011)
  • Running Time: 8 min. 12 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque
  • Written: 1697

>Biber, Heinrich Ignaz : Passacaglia for Violin solo in G minor
  • Performer: Rebekka Hartmann (Violin)
  • Notes: Holzmühle, Seeshaupt (04/11/2011-04/13/2011)
  • Running Time: 9 min. 2 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque
  • Written: circa 1676

>Pisendel, Johann Georg : Sonata for Violin Solo in A minor
  • Performer: Rebekka Hartmann (Violin)
  • Notes: Holzmühle, Seeshaupt (04/11/2011-04/13/2011)
  • Running Time: 5 min. 39 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque

>Geminiani, Francesco : Art of Playing the Violin :: Etüde
  • Performer: Rebekka Hartmann (Violin)
  • Notes: Holzmühle, Seeshaupt (04/11/2011-04/13/2011)
  • Running Time: 1 min. 43 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque
  • Written: 1751

>Matteis, Nicola : Fantasia for violin
  • Performer: Rebekka Hartmann (Violin)
  • Notes: Holzmühle, Seeshaupt (04/11/2011-04/13/2011)
  • Running Time: 8 min. sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque

>Guillemain, Louis-Gabriel : Amusement pour le violon seul La Furstenberg :: Amusement
  • Performer: Rebekka Hartmann (Violin)
  • Notes: Holzmühle, Seeshaupt (04/11/2011-04/13/2011)
  • Running Time: 7 min. 59 sec.
  • Period Time: Classical

>Rust, Friedrich Wilhelm : Partite for violin in D minor
  • Performer: Rebekka Hartmann (Violin)
  • Notes: Holzmühle, Seeshaupt (04/11/2011-04/13/2011)
  • Running Time: 16 min. 24 sec.
  • Period Time: Classical

>Unspecified : [CD-ROM Track]
  • Period Time: Modern