Notes & Reviews:
This stirring new CD sets Gregorian, Ambrosian chant and two episodes from the life of St. Agnes, creating a musical memorial to female victims of violence and abuse, raising a plea for freedom, respect and peace to be established in today's world. Poems and texts by Lieberman and Link, read in English, punctuate the chants, and there are moving accounts by women raped in Central Africa and girls forced to enter homes for single mothers and give up their children.
American Record Guide, November/December 2012
It is a moving program. The chants are sung by male chorus in the familiar Solesmes method, using an even tone with little dynamic, pitch, or rhythmic variation. Notes and texts are in English.
Recording information: Protestant Christian Church, Voorst, The Netherlands (2011-05-17&2011-05-24&2011-).
ReviewsThere are currently no reviews, be the first one!
Works DetailsJanssen, Jacques : The Martyred Virgins, for soloists, recitation & vocal ensemble
- Performers: Arno Theune (Voice); Piet Ronnes (Voice); Jacques Janssen
- Conductor: Stan Hollaardt
- Ensemble: Schola Cantorum Karolus Magnus
- Notes: Protestant Christian Church, Voorst, The Netherlands (2011-05-17&2011-05-24&2011-)
- Running Time: 67 min. 37 sec.
- Period Time: Contemporary