- Aho — Chamber Symphony No. 1
- Aho — Chamber Symphony No. 2: I. — $0.99 on iTunes
- Aho — Chamber Symphony No. 2: II. — $0.99 on iTunes
- Aho — Chamber Symphony No. 2: III. Furioso $0.99 on iTunes
- Aho — Chamber Symphony No. 3: I. Jaatyivat umpeen levottomat vedet (Frozen Are the Restless Waters) $0.99 on iTunes
- Aho — Chamber Symphony No. 3: II. Ah, olen kuullut villihanhien huudot (Oh, I Have Heard the Wild Geese Calling) - $0.99 on iTunes
- Aho — Chamber Symphony No. 3: III. Pitkat yot sulavat (The Long Nights Are Melting) $0.99 on iTunes
- Aho — Chamber Symphony No. 3: IV. Soutaa avomerta pain tulipunainen laiva (Towards the Open Sea Rows a Fire-Red Boat) $0.99 on iTunes
Notes & Reviews:
BBC Music Magazine, August 2012
Aho shows that he understands the saxophone's capabilities, inventively blending and contrasting it with the strings.
Classical Music, 21st April 2012
A fascinating trilogy and a spectacular vehicle for this fearless ensemble. Superb SACD and CD sound, as one expects from this label.
Gramophone Magazine, July 2012
The Tapiola Sinfonietta's performances are splendid, crisp and lithe in Nos 1 & 2 under Asbury's taut direction. Kantorow elicits more expansive but no less electric playing in No. 3, where they partner Kelly (the original soloist on dazzling form here) as equals. BIS's SACD recording is first-rate, the acoustic of the Tapiola Concert Hall affording these works the finest possible environment in which to be heard at their best.
International Record Review, June2012
Recorded sound is absolutely spectacular, capturing every detail of these superb performances. The Tapiola Sinfonietta produces a vigorous, fresh ensemble sound for both conductors, entirely appropriate to these works, and it sounds as though every member of the orchestra is in fact a world-class soloist. Kelly clearly lives the third Chamber Symphony; his technical capacity is beyond dispute...Recommended unreservedly.
MusicWeb International, May 2012
Fans of Aho's music who have no doubt already collected the many BIS discs devoted to his music will need no further prompt while others new to it might certainly find much to enjoy in these contemporary, though quite accessible works. This is yet another splendid addition to Aho's already imposing discography.
ReviewsThere are currently no reviews, be the first one!
Per Norgard: Violin Concertos Nos. 1 & 2; Spaces of Time / Herresthal, violin
Sibelius: Symphonies Nos. 2 & 5 / Osmo Vanska
Knudage Riisager: Symphonic Edition, Vol. 1 / Bo Holten
Lutoslawski: Orchestral Works, Vol. 2 / Louis Lortie, Gardner/BBC SO
Trombone Fantasy / Christian Lindberg, trombone
Weiss: Lute Sonatas, Vol. 11, Nos. 30, 39 & 96 / Robert Barto
Brahms, Ligeti: Horn Trios / Neunecker, Weithaas, Avenhaus
Stravinsky: The Firebird (Complete); Sibelius; Tchaikovsky & Chopin / Andrew Litton
C.F.E. Horneman: Orchestral Works / Gustavsson, Danish NSO