1 800 222 6872

Nicolai Gedda sings Arias & Lieder / Werner Singer, Erik Werba, piano

Audio Samples

>Adam, Adolphe : Le Postillon de Lonjumeau
>     Mes amis écoutez l'histoire
>Gluck, Christoph Willibald : Alceste
>     Welch Gefühl schwellt meine Brust
>Gluck, Christoph Willibald : Iphigenie in Aulis
>     Auf Kalchas falle dieses Schwert
>Mozart, Wolfgang Amadeus : Idomeneo
>     Fuor del mar
>Rossini, Gioachino : Le Comte Ory
>     Que les destins prospères aqueillent vos prières
>Glinka, Mikhail : Ein Leben fur den Zaren
>     Brüder, im Sturm
>Schubert, Franz : Im Fruhling, D 882/Op. 101 no 1
>Schubert, Franz : Die Liebe hat gelogen, D 751/Op. 23 no 1
>Schubert, Franz : Nacht und Traume, D 827
>Schubert, Franz : Der Schiffer, D 536
>Poulenc, Francis : Paganini ("Violon hippocampe et sirene"), song for voice & piano (Metamorphoses), FP 121/3
>Poulenc, Francis : Air grave ("Ah! fuyez a present"), for voice & piano (Airs chantes), FP 46/3
>Poulenc, Francis : Air champetre ("Belle source, je veux me rappeler..."), for voice & piano (Airs chantes), FP 46/2
>Rimsky-Korsakov, Nikolai : Redeyet oblakov letuchaya gryada (A line of flying clouds), Op. 42/3
>     The Clouds Begin to Scatter, song for voice & piano, Op. 42/3
>Rimsky-Korsakov, Nikolai : The Pine and the Palm (Yel' i pal'ma), song for voice & piano, Op. 3/1
>Rimsky-Korsakov, Nikolai : The Lark Sings Louder (Zvonche zhavoronka pen'ye), song for voice & piano (In spring no 1), Op. 43/
>Rimsky-Korsakov, Nikolai : In the dark grove the nightingale is silent (V tyomnoy roshche zamolk solovey), song for voice & pia
>Rachmaninov, Sergei : Fragment from Musset, song for voice & piano, Op. 21/6
>Debussy, Claude : Beau soir
>Debussy, Claude : Mandoline
>Nin, Joaquin : Granadina
>Respighi, Ottorino : Notte, song for mezzo-soprano & piano (from Liriche (6) Series II)
>Respighi, Ottorino : Stornellatrice, song for soprano & piano, P. 69 (from opera "Re Enzo")
>Pratell, Francesco Balilla : La Strada Bianca, for voice & piano
>Casella, Alfredo : La storia della fanciulla rapita dal pirate, for voice & piano
>Carnevali, Vito : Stornelli capricciosi, for voice & piano

Album Summary

>Adam, Adolphe : Le Postillon de Lonjumeau
>Gluck, Christoph Willibald : Alceste
>Gluck, Christoph Willibald : Iphigenie in Aulis
>Mozart, Wolfgang Amadeus : Idomeneo
>Rossini, Gioachino : Le Comte Ory
>Glinka, Mikhail : Ein Leben fur den Zaren
>Schubert, Franz : Im Fruhling, D 882/Op. 101 no 1
>Schubert, Franz : Die Liebe hat gelogen, D 751/Op. 23 no 1
>Schubert, Franz : Nacht und Traume, D 827
>Schubert, Franz : Der Schiffer, D 536
>Poulenc, Francis : Paganini ("Violon hippocampe et sirene"), song for voice & piano (Metamorphoses), FP 121/3
>Poulenc, Francis : Air grave ("Ah! fuyez a present"), for voice & piano (Airs chantes), FP 46/3
>Poulenc, Francis : Air champetre ("Belle source, je veux me rappeler..."), for voice & piano (Airs chantes), FP 46/2
>Rimsky-Korsakov, Nikolai : Redeyet oblakov letuchaya gryada (A line of flying clouds), Op. 42/3
>Rimsky-Korsakov, Nikolai : The Pine and the Palm (Yel' i pal'ma), song for voice & piano, Op. 3/1
>Rimsky-Korsakov, Nikolai : The Lark Sings Louder (Zvonche zhavoronka pen'ye), song for voice & piano (In spring no 1), Op. 43/
>Rimsky-Korsakov, Nikolai : In the dark grove the nightingale is silent (V tyomnoy roshche zamolk solovey), song for voice & pia
>Rachmaninov, Sergei : Fragment from Musset, song for voice & piano, Op. 21/6
>Debussy, Claude : Beau soir
>Debussy, Claude : Mandoline
>Nin, Joaquin : Granadina
>Respighi, Ottorino : Notte, song for mezzo-soprano & piano (from Liriche (6) Series II)
>Respighi, Ottorino : Stornellatrice, song for soprano & piano, P. 69 (from opera "Re Enzo")
>Pratell, Francesco Balilla : La Strada Bianca, for voice & piano
>Casella, Alfredo : La storia della fanciulla rapita dal pirate, for voice & piano
>Carnevali, Vito : Stornelli capricciosi, for voice & piano
Performers Conductor Ensembles Composers

Notes & Reviews:

Hänssler Classics is proud to present this valuable compilation of songs and arias recorded by Gedda from the years 1954 to 1965. This anthology features the full range of Gedda's interpretive genius, from a bel canto tenor, to a stylish Mozartean, a sensitive Schubert interpreter, as master exponent of the French art song (Debussy, Poulenc, etc.) and of course, a towering master of authentic Russian repertoire. One can only marvel at the different nuances Gedda places on Gluck in comparison to his approach to Mozart, or his throbbing Russian "Heldentenor" in the "Brothers, in the storm" aria from Glinka's A Life for the Tsar, or the intimacy of his Lieder, song and chanson singing (one need only compare one by Rimski-Korsakov to Debussy's "Beau soir" to that of Schubert's "Nacht und Träume"). Seldom in the history of the vocal arts has there been a singer of such versatility and sensitivity. To this day, Gedda remains a true global singer and a master of all styles, disciplines and languages.



Reviews

There are currently no reviews, be the first one!
Login or Create an Account to write a review
 

Also Purchased



Previous


Next


Works Details

>Adam, Adolphe : Le Postillon de Lonjumeau :: Mes amis écoutez l'histoire
  • Performer: Nicolai Gedda
  • Conductor: Ernest Bour
  • Ensemble: SWR Symphony Orchestra Baden-Baden and Freiburg
  • Running Time: 4 min. 19 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Form: Opera/Operetta
  • Written: 1836

>Gluck, Christoph Willibald : Alceste :: Welch Gefühl schwellt meine Brust
  • Performer: Nicolai Gedda
  • Conductor: Ernest Bour
  • Notes: Composition written: Germany.
  • Running Time: 4 min. 30 sec.
  • Period Time: Classical
  • Form: Opera/Operetta

>Gluck, Christoph Willibald : Iphigenie in Aulis :: Auf Kalchas falle dieses Schwert
  • Performer: Nicolai Gedda
  • Conductor: Ernest Bour
  • Notes: Composition written: Germany.
  • Running Time: 1 min. 28 sec.
  • Period Time: Classical
  • Form: Opera/Operetta

>Mozart, Wolfgang Amadeus : Idomeneo :: Fuor del mar
  • Performer: Nicolai Gedda
  • Conductor: Ernest Bour
  • Notes: Composition written: 1781.
  • Running Time: 5 min. 13 sec.
  • Period Time: Classical
  • Form: Opera/Operetta
  • Written: 1781

>Rossini, Gioachino : Le Comte Ory :: Que les destins prospères aqueillent vos prières
  • Performer: Nicolai Gedda
  • Conductor: Ernest Bour
  • Running Time: 3 min. 48 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Form: Opera/Operetta
  • Written: 1828

>Glinka, Mikhail : Ein Leben für den Zaren :: Brüder, im Sturm
  • Performer: Nicolai Gedda
  • Conductor: Ernest Bour
  • Running Time: 4 min. 15 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Form: Opera/Operetta
  • Written: 1834-1836

>Schubert, Franz : Im Frühling, D 882/Op. 101 no 1
  • Performers: Werner Singer (Piano); Nicolai Gedda
  • Running Time: 4 min. 2 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Written: 03/1826
  • Studio/Live: Live

>Schubert, Franz : Die Liebe hat gelogen, D 751/Op. 23 no 1
  • Performers: Werner Singer (Piano); Nicolai Gedda
  • Running Time: 2 min. 57 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Written: 1822
  • Studio/Live: Live

>Schubert, Franz : Nacht und Träume, D 827
  • Performers: Werner Singer (Piano); Nicolai Gedda
  • Notes: Composition written: ?1825.
  • Running Time: 4 min. 18 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Written: ?1825
  • Studio/Live: Live

>Schubert, Franz : Der Schiffer, D 536
  • Performers: Werner Singer (Piano); Nicolai Gedda
  • Notes: Composition written: ?03/1817.
  • Running Time: 2 min. 3 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Form: Vocal
  • Written: ?03/1817
  • Studio/Live: Live

>Poulenc, Francis : Paganini ("Violon hippocampe et sirène"), song for voice & piano (Métamorphoses), FP 121/3
  • Performers: Werner Singer (Piano); Nicolai Gedda
  • Running Time: 1 min. 9 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Written: 1943
  • Studio/Live: Live

>Poulenc, Francis : Air grave ("Ah! fuyez à présent"), for voice & piano (Airs chantés), FP 46/3
  • Performers: Werner Singer (Piano); Nicolai Gedda
  • Running Time: 2 min. 13 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Written: 1927-1928
  • Studio/Live: Live

>Poulenc, Francis : Air champêtre ("Belle source, je veux me rappeler..."), for voice & piano (Airs chantés), FP 46/2
  • Performers: Nicolai Gedda; Werner Singer (Piano)
  • Running Time: 1 min. 16 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Written: 1927-1928
  • Studio/Live: Live

>Rimsky-Korsakov, Nikolai : Redeyet oblakov letuchaya gryada (A line of flying clouds), Op. 42/3 :: The Clouds Begin to Scatter, song for voice & piano, Op. 42/3
  • Performers: Werner Singer (Piano); Nicolai Gedda
  • Running Time: 3 min. 22 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Written: 1897
  • Studio/Live: Live

>Rimsky-Korsakov, Nikolai : The Pine and the Palm (Yel' i pal'ma), song for voice & piano, Op. 3/1
  • Performers: Werner Singer (Piano); Nicolai Gedda
  • Running Time: 2 min. 39 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Written: 1866
  • Studio/Live: Live

>Rimsky-Korsakov, Nikolai : The Lark Sings Louder (Zvonche zhavoronka pen'ye), song for voice & piano (In spring no 1), Op. 43/
  • Performers: Werner Singer (Piano); Nicolai Gedda
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Written: 1897
  • Studio/Live: Live

>Rimsky-Korsakov, Nikolai : In the dark grove the nightingale is silent (V tyomnoy roshche zamolk solovey), song for voice & pia
  • Performers: Werner Singer (Piano); Nicolai Gedda
  • Running Time: 2 min. 21 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Written: 1866
  • Studio/Live: Live

>Rachmaninov, Sergei : Fragment from Musset, song for voice & piano, Op. 21/6
  • Performers: Werner Singer (Piano); Nicolai Gedda
  • Running Time: 1 min. 45 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Written: 1902
  • Studio/Live: Live

>Debussy, Claude : Beau soir
  • Performers: Nicolai Gedda; Erik Werba (Piano)
  • Running Time: 2 min. 18 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Written: 1880
  • Studio/Live: Live

>Debussy, Claude : Mandoline
  • Performers: Nicolai Gedda; Erik Werba (Piano)
  • Running Time: 1 min. 30 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Written: 1882
  • Studio/Live: Live

>Nin, Joaquin : Granadina
  • Performers: Nicolai Gedda; Erik Werba (Piano)
  • Running Time: 1 min. 38 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Form: Vocal
  • Studio/Live: Live

>Respighi, Ottorino : Notte, song for mezzo-soprano & piano (from Liriche (6) Series II)
  • Performers: Nicolai Gedda; Erik Werba (Piano)
  • Running Time: 3 min. 42 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Written: 1912
  • Studio/Live: Live

>Respighi, Ottorino : Stornellatrice, song for soprano & piano, P. 69 (from opera "Re Enzo")
  • Performers: Nicolai Gedda; Erik Werba (Piano)
  • Running Time: 1 min. 34 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Written: circa 1906
  • Studio/Live: Live

>Pratell, Francesco Balilla : La Strada Bianca, for voice & piano
  • Performers: Nicolai Gedda; Erik Werba (Piano)
  • Running Time: 3 min. 49 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Studio/Live: Live

>Casella, Alfredo : La storia della fanciulla rapita dal pirate, for voice & piano
  • Performers: Nicolai Gedda; Erik Werba (Piano)
  • Running Time: 3 min. 21 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Studio/Live: Live

>Carnevali, Vito : Stornelli capricciosi, for voice & piano
  • Performers: Nicolai Gedda; Erik Werba (Piano)
  • Running Time: 2 min. 39 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Studio/Live: Live