- Mahler — Symphony No. 3 in D minor: I. Kraftig - Entschieden
- Mahler — Symphony No. 3 in D minor: II. Tempo di menuetto. Sehr massig $0.99 on iTunes
- Mahler — Symphony No. 3 in D minor: III. Comodo. Scherzando. Ohne Hast
- Mahler — Symphony No. 3 in D minor: IV. Sehr langsam. Misterioso $0.99 on iTunes
- Mahler — Symphony No. 3 in D minor: V. Lustig im Tempo und keck im Ausdruck $0.99 on iTunes
- Mahler — Symphony No. 3 in D minor: VI. Langsam. Ruhevoll. Empfunden
Notes & Reviews:
The Gürzenich Orchestra Cologne has a long standing tradition with the performance of Gustav Mahler's symphonies. In 1904 his Fifth Symphony was premiered there. Mahler's own view was that his Third Symphony would be difficult to understand for anyone who did not know his earlier works. This new recording under the direction of Markus Stenz gives listeners glorious access to this work.
This performance starts out particularly well. Stenz is good at grabbing the listener's ear with the dramatic gesture...More crucially...[he] keeps a firm grasp of those transition moments in Mahler that separate mere traffic cops on the podium from those conductors fully able to link shifting personnel indicated in the score with the music's underlying emotional content.
Fanfare Magazine, September/October 2012
In the realm of SACD, Thirds by Michael Tilson Thomas and Benjamin Zander (still the best value for money) remain my primary recommendations, though I would add this new set to that elite twosome. The sound alone puts much of the competition (Gergiev, Zinman, Honeck) in the shade, and Stenz's authority in Mahler's music is becoming more obvious with every new Oehms release. Highest recommendation.
Recording information: Kölner Philharmonie (07/04/2010-04/06/2010).
ReviewsThere are currently no reviews, be the first one!
Mahler: Symphony No. 6 / Markus Stenz
Tchaikovsky: Symphony No. 7 in E flat; Piano Concerto No. 3 / Lilya Zilberstein, piano
Tchaikovsky: Symphony No. 4; Capriccio Italien / Dimitrij Kitajenko
Mahler: Symphony No. 7 / Markus Stenz
Tschaikowsky: Symphony no 3; Sleeping Beauty, suite / Dmittrij Kitajenko
Tchaikovsky: Symphony no 2; Rococo Variations; Andante Cantabile / Dmitrij Kitajenko, cello
Gustav Mahler: Symphonie No. 8 / Markus Stenz, Guerzenich Orchestra Cologne
Gustav Mahler: Symphonie no 1 / Markus Stenz
Works DetailsMahler, Gustav : Symphony no 3 in D minor
- Conductor: Markus Stenz
- Ensemble: Gurzenich Orchestra Cologne
- Notes: Kölner Philharmonie (07/04/2010-04/06/2010)
- Running Time: 93 min. 17 sec.
- Period Time: Post Romantic
- Form: Orchestral
- Written: 1893-1896