New American Masters, Vol. 4 / Palisades Virtuosi

Audio Samples

>Turrin, Joseph : Statements, for flute, clarinet & piano
>Wagner, Melinda : Thumbnail Moon, for flute, clarinet & piano
>Francis, Ryan : Trio for flute, clarinet & piano
>Word, Spoken : Song of the Open Road, poem by Walt Whitman
>Walker, Gwyneth : Full Circle, for flute, clarinet & piano
>Word, Spoken : The Peace of Wild Things, poem by Wendell Berry
>Word, Spoken : Not by Your Will, poem by Wendell Berry
>Kim, Sunbin : Whirlwind, for flute, clarinet & piano
>Halper, Matthew : Trio for flute, clarinet & piano
>Word, Spoken : Narration to accompany Amanda Harberg's Birding in the Palisades
>Harberg, Amanda : Birding in the Palisades, for flute, clarinet & piano

Album Summary

>Turrin, Joseph : Statements, for flute, clarinet & piano
>Wagner, Melinda : Thumbnail Moon, for flute, clarinet & piano
>Francis, Ryan : Trio for flute, clarinet & piano
>Word, Spoken : Song of the Open Road, poem by Walt Whitman
>Walker, Gwyneth : Full Circle, for flute, clarinet & piano
>Word, Spoken : The Peace of Wild Things, poem by Wendell Berry
>Word, Spoken : Not by Your Will, poem by Wendell Berry
>Kim, Sunbin : Whirlwind, for flute, clarinet & piano
>Halper, Matthew : Trio for flute, clarinet & piano
>Word, Spoken : Narration to accompany Amanda Harberg's Birding in the Palisades
>Harberg, Amanda : Birding in the Palisades, for flute, clarinet & piano
Ensemble Composers

Notes & Reviews:

The Palisades Virtuosi continue their commendable series of commissioning new works from outstanding American composers for their trio's instrumentation of flute, clarinet and piano. This fourth volume brings the total to almost 50 new works the ensemble has added to the repertoire. Two of the works on this recording have the added attraction of the formidable Marni Nixon joining the group to narrate the poetry in the Unitarian Hymnal that forms the background for Gwyneth Walker's work and the information about crows that precedes each movement of Amanda Harberg's Birding in the Palisades. Palisades Virtuosi consists of the virtuoso musicians Margaret Swinchoski, flute, Donald Mokrynski, clarinet and Ron Levy, piano. The ensemble has received rave reviews for its previous three releases on Albany Records.

American Record Guide, November/December 2012
The Palisades Virtuosi, a trio of clarinet, flute, and piano, present another program of new music for small ensemble with a tonal concentration. Trio by Ryan Francis is joyfully full sounding and plods along behind the force of its ostinato.

Notes & Reviews:

Recording information: Bennett Studios, Englewood, NJ (04/2011-07/2011).



Reviews

There are currently no reviews, be the first one!
Login or Create an Account to write a review

Works Details

>Turrin, Joseph : Statements, for flute, clarinet & piano
  • Ensemble: Palisades Virtuosi
  • Running Time: 19 min. 13 sec.
  • Period Time: Contemporary

>Wagner, Melinda : Thumbnail Moon, for flute, clarinet & piano
  • Ensemble: Palisades Virtuosi
  • Running Time: 3 min. sec.
  • Period Time: Contemporary

>Francis, Ryan : Trio for flute, clarinet & piano
  • Ensemble: Palisades Virtuosi
  • Running Time: 6 min. 17 sec.
  • Period Time: Contemporary

>Word, Spoken : Song of the Open Road, poem by Walt Whitman
  • Running Time: 1 min. 57 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic

>Walker, Gwyneth : Full Circle, for flute, clarinet & piano
  • Ensemble: Palisades Virtuosi
  • Running Time: 12 min. 21 sec.
  • Period Time: Contemporary

>Word, Spoken : The Peace of Wild Things, poem by Wendell Berry
  • Period Time: Post Romantic

>Walker, Gwyneth : Full Circle, for flute, clarinet & piano
  • Ensemble: Palisades Virtuosi
  • Running Time: 12 min. 21 sec.
  • Period Time: Contemporary

>Word, Spoken : Not by Your Will, poem by Wendell Berry
  • Period Time: Post Romantic

>Walker, Gwyneth : Full Circle, for flute, clarinet & piano
  • Ensemble: Palisades Virtuosi
  • Running Time: 12 min. 21 sec.
  • Period Time: Contemporary

>Kim, Sunbin : Whirlwind, for flute, clarinet & piano
  • Ensemble: Palisades Virtuosi
  • Running Time: 4 min. 46 sec.

>Halper, Matthew : Trio for flute, clarinet & piano
  • Ensemble: Palisades Virtuosi
  • Running Time: 14 min. 1 sec.
  • Period Time: Contemporary

>Word, Spoken : Narration to accompany Amanda Harberg's Birding in the Palisades
  • Period Time: Post Romantic

>Harberg, Amanda : Birding in the Palisades, for flute, clarinet & piano
  • Ensemble: Palisades Virtuosi
  • Running Time: 11 min. 29 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern

>Word, Spoken : Narration to accompany Amanda Harberg's Birding in the Palisades
  • Period Time: Post Romantic

>Harberg, Amanda : Birding in the Palisades, for flute, clarinet & piano
  • Ensemble: Palisades Virtuosi
  • Running Time: 11 min. 29 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern

>Word, Spoken : Narration to accompany Amanda Harberg's Birding in the Palisades
  • Period Time: Post Romantic

>Harberg, Amanda : Birding in the Palisades, for flute, clarinet & piano
  • Ensemble: Palisades Virtuosi
  • Running Time: 11 min. 29 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern