1 800 222 6872

50 Best British Classics [3 CDs]

Audio Samples

>Handel, George Frideric : Coronation Anthem
>Tallis, Thomas : If ye love me
>Goss, John : Hymn
>Stanford, Charles Villiers : Beati quorum via
>Goss, John : Psalm 23
>Parry, Charles H. : Dear Lord and Father of mankind (Tune
>     Repton), anthem
>Handel, George Frideric : Messiah, HWV 56, Oratorio
>     Hallelujah Chorus
>Byrd, William : Ave verum corpus
>     "O Lord, God of Israel"), motet for 4 voices (SATB)
>Vaughan Williams, Ralph : English Hymnal
>Rutter, John : Requiem
>     aeternam
>Purcell, Henry : Hear my prayer, O Lord
>Monk, William Henry : Abide with me
>     Eventide)
>Byrd, William : Gradualia, Volume 1
>Bairstow, Edward : Psalm 67
>     God be merciful unto us, and bless us
>Tavener, John : Song for Athene
>Vaughan Williams, Ralph : The Old Hundredth (All people that on earth do dwell) (Genevan Psalter)
>Tallis, Thomas : In manus tuas
>Scholefield, Clement Cotterill : Hymn
>     St. Clement)
>Harris, William H. : Faire Is the Heaven, for chorus
>Parry, Charles H. : I Was Glad (Psalm 122), anthem for chorus & organ (or orchestra)
>Elgar, Edward : Concerto for Cello
>     1. Adagio - Moderato
>Delius, Frederick : Koanga
>Holst, Gustav : The Planets
>     Jupiter
>Vaughan Williams, Ralph : The lark ascending
>Walton, William : Coronation March "Crown Imperial"
>Elgar, Edward : Enigma Variations
>     Nimrod
>Britten, Benjamin : The Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra
>     Theme and Fugue
>Vaughan Williams, Ralph : Fantasia on a theme by Thomas Tallis
>Elgar, Edward : Coronation Ode, Op. 44
>Parry, Charles H. : Jerusalem ("And did those feet in ancient time"), for chorus & organ (or orchestra)
>Coates, Eric : The Dam Busters
>Binge, Ronald : Elizabethan Serenade, for orchestra
>Coates, Eric : Calling All Workers, march for orchestra
>Gibbs, Cecil Armstrong : Dusk, for voice & piano
>Grainger, Percy : Country Gardens
>Addinsell, Richard : Warsaw Concerto
>     Opening
>Duncan, Trevor : Little Suite
>     March
>Sullivan, Arthur : H. M. S. Pinafore
>     Overture
>Grainger, Percy : Shepherd's Hey
>Williams, Charles : The Dream of Olwen, for piano & orchestra (From the film "The Way to the Stars")
>Coates, Eric : Knightsbridge March
>Ketèlbey, Albert William : In a Monastery Garden for chorus & orchestra
>Bennett, Richard R. : Murder on the Orient Express
>     Waltz
>Binge, Ronald : The Watermill
>Walton, William : Prelude and Fugue "Spitfire"
>Coates, Eric : By the Sleepy Lagoon
>Sullivan, Arthur : The Yeomen of the Guard
>     Overture
>Wood, Arthur : Barwick Green, for orchestra
>Williams, Charles : The Devil's Galop, for orchestra (theme for the radio series Dick Barton
>     Special Agent)
>Binge, Ronald : Sailing By, for orchestra (theme for BBC Radio 4's Late Night Shipping Forecast)

Album Summary

>Handel, George Frideric : Coronation Anthem
>Tallis, Thomas : If ye love me
>Goss, John : Hymn
>Stanford, Charles Villiers : Beati quorum via
>Goss, John : Psalm 23
>Parry, Charles H. : Dear Lord and Father of mankind (Tune
>Handel, George Frideric : Messiah, HWV 56, Oratorio
>Byrd, William : Ave verum corpus
>Vaughan Williams, Ralph : English Hymnal
>Rutter, John : Requiem
>Purcell, Henry : Hear my prayer, O Lord
>Monk, William Henry : Abide with me
>Byrd, William : Gradualia, Volume 1
>Bairstow, Edward : Psalm 67
>Tavener, John : Song for Athene
>Vaughan Williams, Ralph : The Old Hundredth (All people that on earth do dwell) (Genevan Psalter)
>Tallis, Thomas : In manus tuas
>Scholefield, Clement Cotterill : Hymn
>Harris, William H. : Faire Is the Heaven, for chorus
>Parry, Charles H. : I Was Glad (Psalm 122), anthem for chorus & organ (or orchestra)
>Elgar, Edward : Concerto for Cello
>Delius, Frederick : Koanga
>Holst, Gustav : The Planets
>Vaughan Williams, Ralph : The lark ascending
>Walton, William : Coronation March "Crown Imperial"
>Elgar, Edward : Enigma Variations
>Britten, Benjamin : The Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra
>Vaughan Williams, Ralph : Fantasia on a theme by Thomas Tallis
>Elgar, Edward : Coronation Ode, Op. 44
>Parry, Charles H. : Jerusalem ("And did those feet in ancient time"), for chorus & organ (or orchestra)
>Coates, Eric : The Dam Busters
>Binge, Ronald : Elizabethan Serenade, for orchestra
>Coates, Eric : Calling All Workers, march for orchestra
>Gibbs, Cecil Armstrong : Dusk, for voice & piano
>Grainger, Percy : Country Gardens
>Addinsell, Richard : Warsaw Concerto
>Duncan, Trevor : Little Suite
>Sullivan, Arthur : H. M. S. Pinafore
>Grainger, Percy : Shepherd's Hey
>Williams, Charles : The Dream of Olwen, for piano & orchestra (From the film "The Way to the Stars")
>Coates, Eric : Knightsbridge March
>Ketèlbey, Albert William : In a Monastery Garden for chorus & orchestra
>Bennett, Richard R. : Murder on the Orient Express
>Binge, Ronald : The Watermill
>Walton, William : Prelude and Fugue "Spitfire"
>Coates, Eric : By the Sleepy Lagoon
>Sullivan, Arthur : The Yeomen of the Guard
>Wood, Arthur : Barwick Green, for orchestra
>Williams, Charles : The Devil's Galop, for orchestra (theme for the radio series Dick Barton
>Binge, Ronald : Sailing By, for orchestra (theme for BBC Radio 4's Late Night Shipping Forecast)
Performers Conductors Ensembles Composers


Reviews

There are currently no reviews, be the first one!
Login or Create an Account to write a review
 

Also Purchased



Previous


Next


Works Details

>Handel, George Frideric : Coronation Anthem
  • Conductor: Stephen Cleobury
  • Ensemble: Academy of Ancient Music (UK)
  • Running Time: 5 min. 20 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque
  • Form: Choral
  • Written: 1727

>Tallis, Thomas : If ye love me
  • Conductor: Philip Ledger
  • Running Time: 2 min. 27 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance
  • Written: 1565

>Goss, John : Hymn
  • Performers: Thomas Williamson (Organ); Stephen Cleobury (Descant)
  • Conductor: Stephen Cleobury
  • Running Time: 2 min. 52 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Written: 1869

>Stanford, Charles Villiers : Beati quorum via
  • Conductor: David Willcocks
  • Running Time: 3 min. 9 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Written: ?1890

>Goss, John : Psalm 23
  • Performer: David Willcocks (Organ)
  • Conductor: David Willcocks
  • Running Time: 2 min. 11 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic

>Parry, Charles H. : Dear Lord and Father of mankind (Tune :: Repton), anthem
  • Performers: Benjamin Bayl (Organ); Thomas Bullard (Baritone)
  • Conductor: Stephen Cleobury
  • Running Time: 3 min. 55 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Written: 1888

>Handel, George Frideric : Messiah, HWV 56, Oratorio :: Hallelujah Chorus
  • Conductor: David Willcocks
  • Running Time: 4 min. 24 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque
  • Form: Cantata/Oratorio
  • Written: 1741

>Byrd, William : Ave verum corpus :: "O Lord, God of Israel"), motet for 4 voices (SATB)
  • Conductor: David Willcocks
  • Running Time: 4 min. 39 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance
  • Written: 1605

>Vaughan Williams, Ralph : English Hymnal
  • Performer: Thomas Williamson (Organ)
  • Conductor: Stephen Cleobury
  • Running Time: 3 min. 42 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Form: Choral
  • Written: circa 1905

>Rutter, John : Requiem :: aeternam
  • Conductor: Stephen Cleobury
  • Running Time: 5 min. 36 sec.
  • Period Time: Contemporary
  • Form: Choral
  • Written: 1985

>Purcell, Henry : Hear my prayer, O Lord
  • Conductor: Philip Ledger
  • Running Time: 2 min. 11 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque
  • Written: circa 1681

>Monk, William Henry : Abide with me :: Eventide)
  • Performer: Peter Stevens (Organ)
  • Conductor: Stephen Cleobury
  • Running Time: 4 min. 51 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Form: Choral
  • Written: 1861

>Byrd, William : Gradualia, Volume 1
  • Conductor: David Willcocks
  • Running Time: 2 min. 54 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance
  • Form: Choral

>Bairstow, Edward : Psalm 67 :: God be merciful unto us, and bless us
  • Performer: David Willcocks (Organ)
  • Conductor: David Willcocks
  • Running Time: 2 min. 6 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic

>Tavener, John : Song for Athene
  • Conductor: Stephen Cleobury
  • Running Time: 6 min. 35 sec.
  • Period Time: Contemporary
  • Form: Choral
  • Written: 1993

>Vaughan Williams, Ralph : The Old Hundredth (All people that on earth do dwell) (Genevan Psalter)
  • Performer: Benjamin Bayl (Organ)
  • Conductor: Stephen Cleobury
  • Ensemble: Wallace Collection (Brass Ensemble)
  • Running Time: 4 min. 56 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Written: 1953

>Tallis, Thomas : In manus tuas
  • Performer: Oliver Brett (Organ)
  • Conductor: Stephen Cleobury
  • Running Time: 1 min. 57 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance
  • Form: Choral
  • Written: 1575

>Scholefield, Clement Cotterill : Hymn :: St. Clement)
  • Performer: Benjamin Bayl (Organ)
  • Conductor: Stephen Cleobury
  • Running Time: 3 min. 19 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Form: Choral
  • Written: 1874

>Harris, William H. : Faire Is the Heaven, for chorus
  • Conductor: Stephen Cleobury
  • Running Time: 5 min. 9 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Written: 1925

>Parry, Charles H. : I Was Glad (Psalm 122), anthem for chorus & organ (or orchestra)
  • Conductor: Philip Ledger
  • Running Time: 6 min. 47 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Written: 1902

>Elgar, Edward : Concerto for Cello :: 1. Adagio - Moderato
  • Performer: Jacqueline du Pré (Cello)
  • Conductor: John Barbirolli
  • Running Time: 8 min. sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Form: Concerto
  • Written: 1919

>Delius, Frederick : Koanga
  • Conductor: John Barbirolli
  • Running Time: 4 min. 32 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic

>Holst, Gustav : The Planets :: Jupiter
  • Conductor: Adrian Boult
  • Running Time: 7 min. 55 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Written: 1914-1916

>Vaughan Williams, Ralph : The lark ascending
  • Performer: Hugh Bean (Violin)
  • Conductor: Adrian Boult
  • Running Time: 14 min. 43 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Written: 1914

>Walton, William : Coronation March "Crown Imperial"
  • Performer: David Bell (Organ)
  • Conductor: Adrian Boult
  • Running Time: 8 min. 33 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Form: March
  • Written: 1937-1963

>Elgar, Edward : Enigma Variations :: Nimrod
  • Conductor: Adrian Boult
  • Running Time: 3 min. 56 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Written: 1898-1899

>Britten, Benjamin : The Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra :: Theme and Fugue
  • Conductor: Simon Rattle
  • Running Time: 4 min. 36 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Written: 1946

>Vaughan Williams, Ralph : Fantasia on a theme by Thomas Tallis
  • Conductor: John Barbirolli
  • Running Time: 16 min. 13 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Written: 1910

>Elgar, Edward : Coronation Ode, Op. 44
  • Performer: David Bell (Organ)
  • Conductor: Vernon Handley
  • Running Time: 6 min. sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Form: March
  • Written: 1901

>Parry, Charles H. : Jerusalem ("And did those feet in ancient time"), for chorus & organ (or orchestra)
  • Conductor: Owain Hughes
  • Running Time: 2 min. 46 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Written: 1916

>Coates, Eric : The Dam Busters
  • Conductor: Charles Groves
  • Running Time: 3 min. 56 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Form: March
  • Written: 1954

>Binge, Ronald : Elizabethan Serenade, for orchestra
  • Running Time: 3 min. 29 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Written: 1951

>Coates, Eric : Calling All Workers, march for orchestra
  • Conductor: Reginald Kilbey
  • Running Time: 3 min. 7 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Form: March
  • Written: 1940

>Gibbs, Cecil Armstrong : Dusk, for voice & piano
  • Conductor: Vivian Dunn
  • Running Time: 3 min. 30 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern

>Grainger, Percy : Country Gardens
  • Conductor: Vivian Dunn
  • Notes: Composition written: 1908-18.
  • Running Time: 2 min. 13 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Written: 1908-1918

>Addinsell, Richard : Warsaw Concerto :: Opening
  • Performer: Daniel Adni (Piano)
  • Conductor: Kenneth Alwyn
  • Running Time: 3 min. 31 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Form: Concerto
  • Written: circa 1941

>Duncan, Trevor : Little Suite :: March
  • Conductor: Vivian Dunn
  • Running Time: 3 min. 8 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Written: 1960

>Sullivan, Arthur : H. M. S. Pinafore :: Overture
  • Conductor: Malcolm Sargent
  • Running Time: 4 min. 26 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Form: Opera/Operetta
  • Written: 1878

>Grainger, Percy : Shepherd's Hey
  • Conductor: Vivian Dunn
  • Running Time: 2 min. 9 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Written: 1908-1913

>Williams, Charles : The Dream of Olwen, for piano & orchestra (From the film "The Way to the Stars")
  • Performer: Daniel Adni (Piano)
  • Conductor: Kenneth Alwyn
  • Running Time: 3 min. 58 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Written: 1947

>Coates, Eric : Knightsbridge March
  • Conductor: Charles Groves
  • Running Time: 4 min. 17 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Form: March

>Albert W. Ketèlbey (1875 - 1959) : In a Monastery Garden for chorus & orchestra
  • Conductor: John Lanchbery
  • Running Time: 5 min. 35 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Form: Orchestral
  • Written: 1915

>Bennett, Richard R. : Murder on the Orient Express :: Waltz
  • Conductor: Marcus Dods
  • Running Time: 2 min. 31 sec.
  • Period Time: Contemporary
  • Written: 1974

>Binge, Ronald : The Watermill
  • Conductor: Vivian Dunn
  • Running Time: 3 min. 59 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Written: 1958

>Walton, William : Prelude and Fugue "Spitfire"
  • Conductor: William Walton
  • Running Time: 7 min. 58 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Written: 1942

>Coates, Eric : By the Sleepy Lagoon
  • Conductor: Charles Mackerras
  • Running Time: 3 min. 4 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Written: 1930

>Sullivan, Arthur : The Yeomen of the Guard :: Overture
  • Conductor: Malcolm Sargent
  • Running Time: 5 min. 30 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Form: Opera/Operetta
  • Written: 1888

>Wood, Arthur : Barwick Green, for orchestra
  • Conductor: Sidney Torch
  • Running Time: 2 min. 47 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern

>Williams, Charles : The Devil's Galop, for orchestra (theme for the radio series Dick Barton :: Special Agent)
  • Conductor: Charles Williams
  • Running Time: 2 min. 48 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern

>Binge, Ronald : Sailing By, for orchestra (theme for BBC Radio 4's Late Night Shipping Forecast)
  • Running Time: 2 min. 57 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Written: 1963