1 800 222 6872

Behind the Notes: Brahms Performed by Colleagues and Pupils - performances by Alfred Hoehn, Max Fiedler, Etelka Freund, Joseph Joachim

Audio Samples

>Brahms, Johannes : Concerto for Piano no 1 in D minor, Op. 15
>Brahms, Johannes : Pieces (8) for Piano, Op. 76
>     Capriccio in F sharp minor, Op. 76/8
>     Intermezzo in A flat major, Op. 76/3
>     Intermezzo in B flat minor, Op. 76/4
>Brahms, Johannes : Scherzo for piano in E flat minor, Op. 4
>Brahms, Johannes : Ballades (4) for piano, Op. 10
>     in B major, Op. 10/4
>Brahms, Johannes : Intermezzo for piano in E minor, Op. 119/2
>Brahms, Johannes : Pieces (4) for Piano, Op. 119
>Brahms, Johannes : Hungarian Dance for piano, 4 hands, in G minor, WoO 1/1

Album Summary

>Brahms, Johannes : Concerto for Piano no 1 in D minor, Op. 15
>Brahms, Johannes : Pieces (8) for Piano, Op. 76
>Brahms, Johannes : Scherzo for piano in E flat minor, Op. 4
>Brahms, Johannes : Ballades (4) for piano, Op. 10
>Brahms, Johannes : Intermezzo for piano in E minor, Op. 119/2
>Brahms, Johannes : Pieces (4) for Piano, Op. 119
>Brahms, Johannes : Hungarian Dance for piano, 4 hands, in G minor, WoO 1/1
Performers Conductor Ensemble
  • >
Composer

Notes & Reviews:

Performed by Brahms' colleagues and pupils, these recordings offer unique insights into his scores. Nearly all these performances are made available for the first time.

American Record Guide, November/December 2012
The program is filled out with a collection of spirited private recordings made in 1949-52 by pianists with Brahms associations: Etelka Freund (1879-1977), Carl Friedberg (1872- 1955), and Ilona Eibenschutz (1872-1967), and the famous one-of-a-kind 1903 Joseph Joachim performance of the Hungarian Dance. All are first issues save the Joachim, which is much improved in this restoration.



Reviews

There are currently no reviews, be the first one!
Login or Create an Account to write a review
 

Also Purchased



Previous


Next


Works Details

>Brahms, Johannes : Concerto for Piano no 1 in D minor, Op. 15
  • Performer: Alfred Hoehn (Piano)
  • Conductor: Max Fiedler
  • Running Time: 48 min. 29 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Form: Concerto
  • Written: 1854-1859

>Brahms, Johannes : Pieces (8) for Piano, Op. 76 :: Capriccio in F sharp minor, Op. 76/8
  • Performer: Etelka Freund (Piano)
  • Running Time: 3 min. 10 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Written: 1871

>Brahms, Johannes : Pieces (8) for Piano, Op. 76 :: Intermezzo in A flat major, Op. 76/3
  • Performer: Etelka Freund (Piano)
  • Notes: 08/05/1951; 1949
  • Running Time: 2 min. 7 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Written: 1878

>Brahms, Johannes : Scherzo for piano in E flat minor, Op. 4
  • Performer: Carl Friedberg (Piano)
  • Running Time: 9 min. 27 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Written: 1851

>Brahms, Johannes : Ballades (4) for piano, Op. 10 :: in B major, Op. 10/4
  • Performer: Lona Eibenschutz (Piano)
  • Running Time: 4 min. 1 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Written: 1854

>Brahms, Johannes : Pieces (8) for Piano, Op. 76 :: Intermezzo in B flat minor, Op. 76/4
  • Performer: Lona Eibenschutz (Piano)
  • Running Time: 2 min. 3 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Written: 1878

>Brahms, Johannes : Intermezzo for piano in E minor, Op. 119/2
  • Performer: Lona Eibenschutz (Piano)
  • Running Time: 3 min. 39 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Written: 1892

>Brahms, Johannes : Pieces (4) for Piano, Op. 119
  • Performer: Lona Eibenschutz (Piano)
  • Running Time: 1 min. 25 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Written: 1892

>Brahms, Johannes : Hungarian Dance for piano, 4 hands, in G minor, WoO 1/1
  • Performer: Joseph Joachim (Violin)
  • Running Time: 3 min. 10 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Written: 1858-1868