Rolling Stone (p.72) - 4.5 stars out of 5 -- "[S]umptuous....That moral spine and Guthrie's poetic way with the vernacular were central to the folk revival....WOODY AT 100 is the pure, charged source of that legacy..."
Mojo (Publisher) (p.101) - 5 stars out of 5 -- "[Guthrie was] a real life Huck Finn with a voice like an oily rag, who charmed all-comers with a combination of intensely human songwriting and wry wit..."
Woody Guthrie defined an era in his Dust Bowl ballads, outlaw tales, work and labor songs, antiwar songs, children's songs, political songs, and a host of love songs and songs that touched on philosophy, geography, and the hard work of living day to day in an emerging industrial world. This set, issued for Guthrie's centennial year, captures the whole story, including previously unreleased recordings of Guthrie's earliest material, made in 1937 when he was working for a radio station in Los Angeles.
ReviewsThere are currently no reviews, be the first one!
Brandi Carlile: Bear Creek
Niyaz: Sumud [Digipak]
The Lumineers: The Lumineers [Digipak]
Cowboy Junkies: The Wilderness: The Nomad Series, Vol. 4 [Digipak]
Various Artists: The Hunger Games: Songs from District 12 and Beyond
Bruce Springsteen: Wrecking Ball [Digipak]
Emel Mathlouthi: Kelmti Horra
Katy Perry: Teenage Dream [The Complete Confection] [PA]
Earle Brown Contemporary Sound Series Vol.4 / New Music For String Quartet & Chamber Orchestra
- Woody Guthrie Meets Pete Seeger (Seeger, Pete (Folk))
- The Musical Grandfather and Father of Bob Dylan (Elliott, Ramblin' Jack)
- New Multitudes [Digipak] (Farrar, Jay)
- New Multitudes [Deluxe Edition] [Digipak] (Farrar, Jay)
- Little Seed: Songs for Children by Woody Guthrie [ (Mitchell, Elizabeth)
- Pete Remembers Woody [Digipak] (Seeger, Pete (Folk))
- American Folk Legends (Seeger, Pete (Folk))
- WNYC Radio, New York, 12th December 1940 (Leadbelly)