1 800 222 6872

Neeme Jarvi - Highlights from a remarkable 30-year recording career

Audio Samples

>Dvorak, Antonin : Carnival Overture, Op. 92
>Halvorsen, Johan : La Melancolie, for string orchestra (after Ole Bull's "Lament")
>Dvorak, Antonin : Slavonic Dances (8) for Orchestra, Op. 72/B 147
>Mahler, Gustav : Nun seh' ich wohl, warum so dunkle Flammen, song for voice & piano (or orchestra) in C minor (Kinder
>Suppe, Franz v. : Fatinitza
>     March
>Brahms, Johannes : Hungarian Dance for piano, 4 hands, in B minor, WoO 1/19
>Busoni, Ferruccio : Tanzwalzer, Op. 53
>     Finale
>Bolzoni, Giovanni : Minuetto
>Kodaly, Zoltan [Composer] : Hary Janos Suite
>     Intermezzo
>Ravel, Maurice : La valse
>Svendsen, Johan : Traume (Dreams), Studie zu Tristan und Isolde, for orchestra
>Strauss, Richard : Vier lieder, Op. 27
>     4. Morgen!
>Halvorsen, Johan : Entry March of the Boyars (Bojarernes Indtogsmarsch), for orchestra
>Weber, Carl Maria von : Jubel Overture, J 245/Op. 59
>Wagner, Richard : Huldigungsmarsch, for military band in E flat major, WWV 97
>Shostakovich, Dmitri : Festive Overture, Op. 96
>Ellington, Duke : Solitude
>Barber, Samuel : The School for Scandal, overture for orchestra, Op. 5
>Barber, Samuel : Adagio for Strings
>Still, William G. : Symphony no 1 'Afro-American'
>     3. Animato
>Eller, Heino : Five Pieces
>     Finale. Cantando espressivo
>Prokofiev, Sergei : The Tale of the Stone Flower, Op. 118
>     Act 2. Scene 4. Waltz
>Rachmaninov, Sergei : Songs (14), Op. 34
>Shostakovich, Dmitri : Ballet Suite no 1
>     Lyric Waltz
>Shostakovich, Dmitri : Tahiti Trot, Op. 16 "Tea for Two"
>Scriabin, Alexander : Reverie, for orchestra in E major, Op. 24
>Pärt, Arvo : Credo
>Tchaikovsky, Peter Ilyich : The Snow Maiden, incidental music, Op. 12
>     7. Second Song of Lei
>     10. Melodrama
>     13. Jester's Dance

Album Summary

>Dvorak, Antonin : Carnival Overture, Op. 92
>Halvorsen, Johan : La Melancolie, for string orchestra (after Ole Bull's "Lament")
>Dvorak, Antonin : Slavonic Dances (8) for Orchestra, Op. 72/B 147
>Mahler, Gustav : Nun seh' ich wohl, warum so dunkle Flammen, song for voice & piano (or orchestra) in C minor (Kinder
>Suppe, Franz v. : Fatinitza
>Brahms, Johannes : Hungarian Dance for piano, 4 hands, in B minor, WoO 1/19
>Busoni, Ferruccio : Tanzwalzer, Op. 53
>Bolzoni, Giovanni : Minuetto
>Kodaly, Zoltan [Composer] : Hary Janos Suite
>Ravel, Maurice : La valse
>Svendsen, Johan : Traume (Dreams), Studie zu Tristan und Isolde, for orchestra
>Strauss, Richard : Vier lieder, Op. 27
>Halvorsen, Johan : Entry March of the Boyars (Bojarernes Indtogsmarsch), for orchestra
>Weber, Carl Maria von : Jubel Overture, J 245/Op. 59
>Wagner, Richard : Huldigungsmarsch, for military band in E flat major, WWV 97
>Shostakovich, Dmitri : Festive Overture, Op. 96
>Ellington, Duke : Solitude
>Barber, Samuel : The School for Scandal, overture for orchestra, Op. 5
>Barber, Samuel : Adagio for Strings
>Still, William G. : Symphony no 1 'Afro-American'
>Eller, Heino : Five Pieces
>Prokofiev, Sergei : The Tale of the Stone Flower, Op. 118
>Rachmaninov, Sergei : Songs (14), Op. 34
>Shostakovich, Dmitri : Ballet Suite no 1
>Shostakovich, Dmitri : Tahiti Trot, Op. 16 "Tea for Two"
>Scriabin, Alexander : Reverie, for orchestra in E major, Op. 24
>Pärt, Arvo : Credo
>Tchaikovsky, Peter Ilyich : The Snow Maiden, incidental music, Op. 12
Performers Conductor Ensemble
  • >
Composers

Notes & Reviews:

This year, we celebrate the thirty-year conducting career of Neeme Järvi with Chandos Records, as well as the conductor's own seventy-fifth birthday.

We mark the occasion with this two-disc set of highlights, featuring a varied selection of concert hall rarities and core classics, along with some popular showpieces and examples of Järvi's championing of Estonian and American music.

In the course of his conducting career, Järvi has amassed a distinguished discography of more than 440 recordings, well over 150 of them for Chandos.

Järvi has a rare ability to galvanise an orchestra into giving an interpretation of exceptional vigour and drive. Gramophone said of his recently concluded Halvorsen series (from which La Mélancolie and Bojarernes Indtogsmarsch are taken): 'Järvi finds in the music a drama and pathos that might come as a revelation even to the composer.'

Also on this disc is the 'Jester's Dance' from Tchaikovsky's The Snow Maiden, a personal favourite of the conductor's, and one that Järvi often performs as an encore at his many concerts around the world.



Reviews

There are currently no reviews, be the first one!
Login or Create an Account to write a review
 

Also Purchased



Previous


Next


Works Details

>Antonin Dvorák (1841 - 1904) : Carnival Overture, Op. 92
  • Conductor: Neeme Järvi
  • Running Time: 9 min. 9 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Form: Orchestral

>Halvorsen, Johan : La Mélancolie, for string orchestra (after Ole Bull's "Lament")
  • Performer: Melina Madozzi (Violin)
  • Conductor: Neeme Järvi
  • Running Time: 2 min. 31 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic

>Antonin Dvorák (1841 - 1904) : Slavonic Dances (8) for Orchestra, Op. 72/B 147
  • Conductor: Neeme Järvi
  • Running Time: 5 min. 33 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic

>Mahler, Gustav : Nun seh' ich wohl, warum so dunkle Flammen, song for voice & piano (or orchestra) in C minor (Kinder
  • Performer: Linda Finnie
  • Conductor: Neeme Järvi
  • Running Time: 4 min. 57 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Written: 1904

>Franz von Suppé (Composer/Conductor) (1819 - 1895) : Fatinitza :: March
  • Conductor: Neeme Järvi
  • Running Time: 2 min. 29 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Form: Opera/Operetta
  • Written: 1876

>Brahms, Johannes : Hungarian Dance for piano, 4 hands, in B minor, WoO 1/19
  • Conductor: Neeme Järvi
  • Running Time: 2 min. 24 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Written: 1879

>Busoni, Ferruccio : Tanzwalzer, Op. 53 :: Finale
  • Conductor: Neeme Järvi
  • Notes: Composition written: 09/??/1920-10/02/1920.
  • Running Time: 4 min. 8 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic

>Bolzoni, Giovanni : Minuetto
  • Conductor: Neeme Järvi
  • Running Time: 4 min. 3 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic

>Zoltán Kodály (Composer) (1882 - 1967) : Háry János Suite :: Intermezzo
  • Performer: Laurence Kaptain (Cimbalom)
  • Conductor: Neeme Järvi
  • Running Time: 5 min. 8 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Written: 1926-1927

>Ravel, Maurice : La valse
  • Conductor: Neeme Järvi
  • Running Time: 12 min. 13 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Written: 1919-1920

>Svendsen, Johan : Träume (Dreams), Studie zu Tristan und Isolde, for orchestra
  • Conductor: Neeme Järvi
  • Running Time: 3 min. 50 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic

>Strauss, Richard : Vier lieder, Op. 27 :: 4. Morgen!
  • Performer: Felicity Lott
  • Conductor: Neeme Järvi
  • Running Time: 4 min. 8 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Written: 1894

>Halvorsen, Johan : Entry March of the Boyars (Bojarernes Indtogsmarsch), for orchestra
  • Conductor: Neeme Järvi
  • Notes: Composition written: 1895.
  • Running Time: 4 min. 30 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Form: March
  • Written: 1895

>Weber, Carl Maria von : Jubel Overture, J 245/Op. 59
  • Conductor: Neeme Järvi
  • Running Time: 7 min. 49 sec.
  • Period Time: Classical
  • Form: Orchestral
  • Written: 1818

>Wagner, Richard : Huldigungsmarsch, for military band in E flat major, WWV 97
  • Conductor: Neeme Järvi
  • Running Time: 5 min. 23 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Form: March
  • Written: 1864

>Shostakovich, Dmitri : Festive Overture, Op. 96
  • Conductor: Neeme Järvi
  • Notes: Composition written: 1954.
  • Running Time: 6 min. 2 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Form: Orchestral
  • Written: 1954

>Ellington, Duke : Solitude
  • Conductor: Neeme Järvi
  • Running Time: 4 min. sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Written: 1933

>Barber, Samuel : The School for Scandal, overture for orchestra, Op. 5
  • Conductor: Neeme Järvi
  • Running Time: 9 min. sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Form: Orchestral
  • Written: 1931-1933

>Barber, Samuel : Adagio for Strings
  • Conductor: Neeme Järvi
  • Running Time: 8 min. 45 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Written: 1936

>Still, William G. : Symphony no 1 'Afro-American' :: 3. Animato
  • Conductor: Neeme Järvi
  • Running Time: 3 min. 9 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Form: Orchestral
  • Written: 12/06/1930

>Eller, Heino : Five Pieces :: Finale. Cantando espressivo
  • Conductor: Neeme Järvi
  • Running Time: 4 min. 25 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Written: 1953

>Prokofiev, Sergei : The Tale of the Stone Flower, Op. 118 :: Act 2. Scene 4. Waltz
  • Conductor: Neeme Järvi
  • Running Time: 3 min. 41 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Form: Ballet
  • Written: 1948-1953

>Rachmaninov, Sergei : Songs (14), Op. 34
  • Performer: Suzanne Murphy (Soprano)
  • Conductor: Neeme Järvi
  • Running Time: 6 min. 52 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic

>Shostakovich, Dmitri : Ballet Suite no 1 :: Lyric Waltz
  • Conductor: Neeme Järvi
  • Notes: Composition written: Soviet Union.
  • Running Time: 2 min. 19 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Form: Ballet

>Shostakovich, Dmitri : Tahiti Trot, Op. 16 "Tea for Two"
  • Conductor: Neeme Järvi
  • Notes: Composition written: 1928.
  • Running Time: 3 min. 30 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Written: 1928

>Scriabin, Alexander : Rêverie, for orchestra in E major, Op. 24
  • Conductor: Neeme Järvi
  • Running Time: 3 min. 53 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Written: 1898

>Arvo Pärt (1935 - ) : Credo
  • Performer: Boris Berman (Piano)
  • Conductor: Neeme Järvi
  • Running Time: 12 min. 42 sec.
  • Period Time: Contemporary
  • Form: Choral
  • Written: 1968

>Tchaikovsky, Peter Ilyich : The Snow Maiden, incidental music, Op. 12 :: 7. Second Song of Lei
  • Performer: Irina Mishura
  • Conductor: Neeme Järvi
  • Running Time: 1 min. 26 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Written: 1873

>Tchaikovsky, Peter Ilyich : The Snow Maiden, incidental music, Op. 12 :: 10. Melodrama
  • Performer: Irina Mishura
  • Conductor: Neeme Järvi
  • Running Time: 4 min. 4 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Written: 1873

>Tchaikovsky, Peter Ilyich : The Snow Maiden, incidental music, Op. 12 :: 13. Jester's Dance
  • Performer: Irina Mishura
  • Conductor: Neeme Järvi
  • Running Time: 4 min. 25 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Written: 1873