- Spillville: I. Far From Home $0.99 on iTunes
- Spillville: II. Serenade No. 1: Dobru noc, ma mila (Sleep, my Love) $0.99 on iTunes
- Spillville: III. It Is Very Strange Here $0.99 on iTunes
- Spillville: IV. Serenade No. 2: Dudacka Polka and Czaldy Waldy $0.99 on iTunes
- Spillville: V. Dvorak and the Scarlet Tanager, "his damn bird" $0.99 on iTunes
- Spillville: VI. Serenade No. 3: Tece voda, tece (Flow Waters, Flow) $0.99 on iTunes
- Spillville: VII. Hasty Retreat $0.99 on iTunes
- Perhaps Gilead: I. Constructing a Horizon: Prairie Sunset and Moonrise $0.99 on iTunes
- Perhaps Gilead: II. The Armed Man
Notes & Reviews:
Spillville and Gilead are two tiny Iowa towns - one actual and one fictional - located in the heartland of the USA. Spillville was the actual summer respite of Antonin Dvorak in 1893. Gilead is the fictional home of a militant supporter of the abolitionist movement in the 1860's. Composer Harvey Sollberger retired to his native Iowa after a time in New York, Indiana and California, and found himself attracted to Iowa's culture and heritage. The two works on this disc reflect his love and respect for the Midwest. This is yet another significantly historic and artful contribution to the discography of virtuoso players, Red Cedar Chamber Music.
American Record Guide, July/August 2014
Mr Chodos, who teaches down the road from me at New England Conservatory, studied with Aube Tzerko (a Schnabel student), Leonard Shure, Josef Dichler, and Carlo Zecchi. Schoenberg's assistant Leonard Stein taught him theory, and he holds degrees in philosophy as well as music. All this bodes well for the Diabellis, which require both an analytical and exacting mind as well as a deep and broad acquaintance with a lot of music. As early as Variation 1 I detect signs that this performance will be a memorable one.
Recording information: King Chapel, Cornell College, Mount Vernon, IA (06/2011-07/2011).
ReviewsThere are currently no reviews, be the first one!
Great Preludes for Guitar - Willcock, Tarrega, Ponce, Villa-Lobos / Tilman Hoppstock, guitar
Women Composers and Their Music for Saxophone - Music of Joan Tower, Judith Shatin, Libby Larsen / Bill Perconti, saxophone, Kay Zavislak, piano, Paul Grove, guitar
Energico - Music for guitar by Paganini, Llobet, Boyle, Takemitsu; Lennon & McCartney / Marco Ramelli: guitar
The Legend of Alirio Diaz, Vol. 1
Leo Brouwer: Beatlerianas - Works by Lennon/McCartney arr. Brouwer and Brouwer / Carlos Barbosa-Lima: guitar; Larry Del Casale: guitar
The Art of Andrés Segovia, Vol. 7 - works by Frescobaldi, Weiss, Bach, Aguado, Albéniz, Granados [studio rec. 1961/62]
Villa-Lobos: Melodia Sentimental - 5 Preludes; Guitar Concerto / Krzysztof Meisinger: guitar; Andrew Haveron: violin
Duets for Mandolin & Guitar by H. Rung; F. Rung; S. Degen; F. Henriques / Tove Flensborg, mandolin; Kristian Buhl-Mortensen, guitar
Christopher Gunning: Concertos for Guitar, Clarinet and Flute / Gunning, RPO
Works DetailsSollberger, Harvey : Spillville, variations for flute, viola & guitar
- Performers: Jan Boland (Flute); Anthony Devroye (Viola); John Dowdall (Guitar)
- Ensemble: Red Cedar Chamber Music
- Running Time: 22 min. 26 sec.
- Period Time: Contemporary
- Written: 2006
Sollberger, Harvey : Perhaps Gilead, for flute, guitar & string quartet
- Running Time: 33 min. 14 sec.
- Period Time: Contemporary
- Written: 2010