Szymon Goldberg Centenary (Edition), Vol. 2: Commercial Recordings / Szymon Goldberg, violin [8 CDs]

> Serenade in D major, Op. 8 - I. Marcia: Allegro - Adagio
> Serenade in D major, Op. 8 - II. Menuetto - Trio: Allegretto
> Serenade in D major, Op. 8 - III. Adagio - Scherzo: Allegro molto - Adagio - Allegro - Adagio
> Serenade in D major, Op. 8 - IV. Allegretto alla polacca
> Serenade in D major, Op. 8 - V. Andante quasi allegretto - Marcia: Allegro
> String Quartet No. 5 in A major, Op. 18, No. 5 - String Quartet No. 5 in A major, Op. 18, No. 5: III. Andante cantabile
> Septet in E flat major, Op. 20 - Septet in E flat major, Op. 20: II. Adagio cantabile
> String Quartet No. 12 in F major, Op. 96, B. 179, "American" - String Quartet No. 12 in F major, Op. 96, B. 179, "American": II. Lento
> Slavonic Dances, Series 1, Op. 46, B. 83 (arr. F. Kreisler) - Slavonic Dances, Series 1, Op. 46, B. 83: No. 2 in E minor (arr. F. Kreisler)
> String Trio No. 2 - I. Massig schnell
> String Trio No. 2 - II. Lebhaft
> String Trio No. 2 - III. Langsam
> Violin Sonata No. 17 in C major, K. 296 - III. Rondo: Allegro
> String Quartet in F major, Op. 3, No. 5, Hob.III:17, "Serenade" (attrib. to Hoffstetter) - IV. Scherzando

Album Summary

>Bach, Johann Sebastian : Concerto for Violin in D minor, BWV 1052
>Bach, Johann Sebastian : Concerto for Violin no 2 in E major, BWV 1042
>Bach, Johann Sebastian : Brandenburg Concerto no 1 in F major, BWV 1046
>Bach, Johann Sebastian : Brandenburg Concerto no 2 in F major, BWV 1047
>Bach, Johann Sebastian : Brandenburg Concerto no 4 in G major, BWV 1049
>Handel, George Frideric : Sonata for Violin and Basso Continuo in D major, HWV 371/Op. 1 no 13
>Haydn, Franz Joseph : Concerto for Violin no 1 in C major, H 7a no 1
>Haydn, Franz Joseph : Quartet for Strings in F major ("Serenade"), Op. 3/5, H. 3/17 (spurious, possibly by Hoffstetter)
>Haydn, Franz Joseph : Keyboard Trio in F sharp minor, H. 15/26
>Haydn, Franz Joseph : Trio for Piano, Violin and Cello in C major, H 15 no 27
>Haydn, Franz Joseph : Trio for Piano, Violin and Cello in E flat major, H 15 no 29
>Paradis, Maria Theresia von : Sicilienne for keyboard in E flat major
>Mozart, Wolfgang Amadeus : Concerto for Violin no 3 in G major, K 216
>Mozart, Wolfgang Amadeus : Concerto for Violin in D major, K 271a (271i)
>Mozart, Wolfgang Amadeus : Concerto for Violin no 5 in A major, K 219
>Mozart, Wolfgang Amadeus : Duo for violin & viola no 1 in G major, K. 423
>Mozart, Wolfgang Amadeus : Duo for violin & viola no 2 in B flat major, K. 424
>Mozart, Wolfgang Amadeus : Divertimento for Winds and Strings no 2 in D major, K 131
>Mozart, Wolfgang Amadeus : Sonata for Violin and Piano in F major, K 377 (374e)
>Mozart, Wolfgang Amadeus : Divertimento for String Quartet in D major, K 136 (125a)
>Mozart, Wolfgang Amadeus : Sonata for violin & piano no 27 in G major, K. 379 (K. 373a)
>Mozart, Wolfgang Amadeus : Sonata for Violin and Piano in E flat major, K 380 (374f)
>Mozart, Wolfgang Amadeus : Sonata for Violin and Piano in C major, K 404 (385d) [Fragment]
>Mozart, Wolfgang Amadeus : Sonata for Violin and Piano in E flat major, K 481
>Mozart, Wolfgang Amadeus : Serenade no 7 in D major, K 250 'Haffner'
>Beethoven, Ludwig van : Sonata for Violin and Piano no 2 in A major, Op. 12
>Beethoven, Ludwig van : Sonata for Violin and Piano no 5 in F major, Op. 24 "Spring"
>Beethoven, Ludwig van : Sonata for violin & piano no 6 in A major, Op. 30/1
>Beethoven, Ludwig van : Sonata for Violin and Piano no 9 in A major, Op. 47 "Kreutzer"
>Beethoven, Ludwig van : Sonata for Violin and Piano no 10 in G major, Op. 96
>Beethoven, Ludwig van : Serenade for violin, viola & cello in D major, Op. 8
>Beethoven, Ludwig van : Quartet for Strings in A major, Op. 18/5
>Beethoven, Ludwig van : Septet in E flat major, Op. 29
>Dvorak, Antonin : Quartet for Strings no 12 in F major, Op. 96 'American'
>Dvorak, Antonin : Slavonic Dance no 2 for violin & piano in E minor, B. 170, (Op. 46/2)
>Hindemith, Paul : Trio for strings no 2
Performers Conductors Ensembles Composers

Notes & Reviews:

Recordings were made of Goldberg (1909-1993) over virtually a 60-year period--perhaps one of the longest studio careers of any violinist and certainly most consistent in quality. This set gathers up all the 78rpm material, covering some 2 decades and presents the violinist in repertoire to which he did not return in later years. Vol.1 of this project was Musicweb International Record of the Year and earned a gold medal from Diapason Magazine.

American Record Guide, January/February 2013
This second volume has an excellent biographical sketch of Goldberg by Tully Potter and a complete commercial discography that includes many recordings that, with hope, will appear on a third volume. The restoration of the audio, which came from a variety of sources, was expertly done by Mark Obert-Thorn.



Reviews

There are currently no reviews, be the first one!
Login or Create an Account to write a review
 

Also Purchased



Previous


Next


Works Details

>Bach, Johann Sebastian : Concerto for Violin in D minor, BWV 1052
  • Performers: Szymon Goldberg (Violin); Geraint Jones (Harpsichord)
  • Conductor: Walter Susskind
  • Running Time: 15 min. 48 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque
  • Form: Concerto
  • Written: 1730

>Bach, Johann Sebastian : Concerto for Violin no 2 in E major, BWV 1042
  • Performers: Szymon Goldberg (Violin); Ernest Lush (Harpsichord)
  • Conductor: Walter Susskind
  • Running Time: 20 min. 59 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque
  • Form: Concerto
  • Written: by 1730

>Bach, Johann Sebastian : Brandenburg Concerto no 1 in F major, BWV 1046
  • Performers: Szymon Goldberg (Violin); Gustav Kern (Oboe)
  • Conductor: Alois Melichar
  • Running Time: 21 min. 25 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque
  • Form: Orchestral
  • Written: 03/24/1721

>Bach, Johann Sebastian : Brandenburg Concerto no 2 in F major, BWV 1047
  • Performers: Szymon Goldberg (Violin); Hans Bottermund (Cello); Gustav Kern (Oboe); Eigel Kruttge (Harpsichord); Albert Harzer (Flute); Paul Sporri (Trumpet)
  • Conductor: Alois Melichar
  • Running Time: 13 min. 11 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque
  • Form: Orchestral
  • Written: 03/24/1721

>Bach, Johann Sebastian : Brandenburg Concerto no 4 in G major, BWV 1049
  • Performers: Szymon Goldberg (Violin); Albert Harzer (Flute); Heinrich Breiden (Flute)
  • Conductor: Alois Melichar
  • Running Time: 19 min. 8 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque
  • Form: Orchestral
  • Written: 03/24/1721

>Handel, George Frideric : Sonata for Violin and Basso Continuo in D major, HWV 371/Op. 1 no 13
  • Performers: Szymon Goldberg (Violin); Gerald Moore (Piano)
  • Running Time: 13 min. 4 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque
  • Written: circa 1750

>Haydn, Franz Joseph : Concerto for Violin no 1 in C major, H 7a no 1
  • Performer: Szymon Goldberg (Violin)
  • Conductor: Walter Susskind
  • Notes: Composition written: By 1769.
  • Running Time: 21 min. 17 sec.
  • Period Time: Classical
  • Form: Concerto
  • Written: by 1769

>Haydn, Franz Joseph : Quartet for Strings in F major ("Serenade"), Op. 3/5, H. 3/17 (spurious, possibly by Hoffstetter)
  • Performer: Szymon Goldberg (Violin)
  • Running Time: 12 min. 17 sec.
  • Period Time: Classical
  • Form: Chamber Music
  • Written: by 1777

>Haydn, Franz Joseph : Keyboard Trio in F sharp minor, H. 15/26
  • Performers: Szymon Goldberg (Violin); Anthony Pini (Cello); Lili Kraus (Piano)
  • Running Time: 14 min. 52 sec.
  • Period Time: Classical
  • Written: ?1794

>Haydn, Franz Joseph : Trio for Piano, Violin and Cello in C major, H 15 no 27
  • Performers: Szymon Goldberg (Violin); Anthony Pini (Cello); Lili Kraus (Piano)
  • Running Time: 16 min. 17 sec.
  • Period Time: Classical
  • Written: 1795

>Haydn, Franz Joseph : Trio for Piano, Violin and Cello in E flat major, H 15 no 29
  • Performers: Szymon Goldberg (Violin); Anthony Pini (Cello); Lili Kraus (Piano)
  • Running Time: 15 min. 50 sec.
  • Period Time: Classical
  • Written: ?08/1795

>Paradis, Maria Theresia von : Sicilienne for keyboard in E flat major
  • Performers: Arpad Sandor (Piano); Szymon Goldberg (Violin)
  • Running Time: 2 min. 35 sec.
  • Period Time: Classical
  • Written: circa 1924

>Mozart, Wolfgang Amadeus : Concerto for Violin no 3 in G major, K 216
  • Performer: Szymon Goldberg (Violin)
  • Conductor: Walter Susskind
  • Running Time: 23 min. 35 sec.
  • Period Time: Classical
  • Form: Concerto
  • Written: 1775

>Mozart, Wolfgang Amadeus : Concerto for Violin in D major, K 271a (271i)
  • Performer: Szymon Goldberg (Violin)
  • Conductor: Walter Susskind
  • Running Time: 24 min. 10 sec.
  • Period Time: Classical
  • Form: Concerto
  • Written: 1775

>Mozart, Wolfgang Amadeus : Concerto for Violin no 5 in A major, K 219 :: 2. Adagio
  • Performer: Szymon Goldberg (Violin)
  • Conductor: Paul Kletzki
  • Ensemble: Members of the Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra
  • Running Time: 7 min. 11 sec.
  • Period Time: Classical
  • Form: Concerto
  • Written: 1775

>Mozart, Wolfgang Amadeus : Duo for violin & viola no 1 in G major, K. 423
  • Performers: Frederick Riddle (Viola); Szymon Goldberg (Violin)
  • Running Time: 14 min. 51 sec.
  • Period Time: Classical
  • Written: 1783

>Mozart, Wolfgang Amadeus : Duo for violin & viola no 2 in B flat major, K. 424
  • Performers: Szymon Goldberg (Violin); Paul Hindemith (Viola)
  • Notes: Composition written: 1783.
  • Running Time: 15 min. 29 sec.
  • Period Time: Classical
  • Written: 1783

>Mozart, Wolfgang Amadeus : Divertimento for Winds and Strings no 2 in D major, K 131
  • Performers: Szymon Goldberg (Violin); Lili Kraus (Piano)
  • Notes: No. 3 Studio, Abbey Road, London (11/05/1935-11/06/1935)
  • Running Time: 15 min. 13 sec.
  • Period Time: Classical
  • Written: 1778

>Mozart, Wolfgang Amadeus : Sonata for Violin and Piano in F major, K 377 (374e)
  • Performers: Szymon Goldberg (Violin); Lili Kraus (Piano)
  • Running Time: 16 min. 34 sec.
  • Period Time: Classical
  • Written: 1781

>Mozart, Wolfgang Amadeus : Divertimento for String Quartet in D major, K 136 (125a)
  • Performers: Szymon Goldberg (Violin); Lili Kraus (Piano)
  • Running Time: 20 min. 16 sec.
  • Period Time: Classical
  • Written: 1779

>Mozart, Wolfgang Amadeus : Sonata for violin & piano no 27 in G major, K. 379 (K. 373a)
  • Performers: Szymon Goldberg (Violin); Lili Kraus (Piano)
  • Notes: No. 3 Studio, Abbey Road, London (05/25/1935/11/06/1935)
  • Running Time: 15 min. 27 sec.
  • Period Time: Classical
  • Written: 1781

>Mozart, Wolfgang Amadeus : Sonata for Violin and Piano in E flat major, K 380 (374f)
  • Performers: Szymon Goldberg (Violin); Lili Kraus (Piano)
  • Notes: No. 3 Studio, Abbey Road, London (04/20/1937-04/21/1937)
  • Running Time: 19 min. 46 sec.
  • Period Time: Classical
  • Written: 1781

>Mozart, Wolfgang Amadeus : Sonata for Violin and Piano in C major, K 404 (385d) [Fragment]
  • Performers: Szymon Goldberg (Violin); Lili Kraus (Piano)
  • Running Time: 3 min. 37 sec.
  • Period Time: Classical
  • Written: 1782

>Mozart, Wolfgang Amadeus : Sonata for Violin and Piano in E flat major, K 481
  • Performers: Szymon Goldberg (Violin); Lili Kraus (Piano)
  • Running Time: 21 min. 31 sec.
  • Period Time: Classical
  • Written: 1785

>Mozart, Wolfgang Amadeus : Serenade no 7 in D major, K 250 'Haffner' :: 4. Rondo-Allegro
  • Performer: Szymon Goldberg (Violin)
  • Running Time: 7 min. 21 sec.
  • Period Time: Classical
  • Written: 1776

>Beethoven, Ludwig van : Sonata for Violin and Piano no 2 in A major, Op. 12
  • Performers: Szymon Goldberg (Violin); Lili Kraus (Piano)
  • Notes: Composition written: 1797-98.
  • Running Time: 16 min. 30 sec.
  • Period Time: Classical
  • Written: 1797-1798

>Beethoven, Ludwig van : Sonata for Violin and Piano no 5 in F major, Op. 24 "Spring"
  • Performers: Szymon Goldberg (Violin); Lili Kraus (Piano)
  • Running Time: 22 min. 54 sec.
  • Period Time: Classical
  • Written: 1800-1801

>Beethoven, Ludwig van : Sonata for violin & piano no 6 in A major, Op. 30/1
  • Performers: Szymon Goldberg (Violin); Lili Kraus (Piano)
  • Notes: Composition written: 1801-02.
  • Running Time: 22 min. 14 sec.
  • Period Time: Classical
  • Written: 1801-1802

>Beethoven, Ludwig van : Sonata for Violin and Piano no 9 in A major, Op. 47 "Kreutzer"
  • Performers: Szymon Goldberg (Violin); Lili Kraus (Piano)
  • Notes: No. 3 Studio, Abbey Road, London (1936-12-04&1936-12-05&1936-)
  • Running Time: 31 min. 46 sec.
  • Period Time: Classical
  • Written: 1802-1803

>Beethoven, Ludwig van : Sonata for Violin and Piano no 10 in G major, Op. 96
  • Performers: Szymon Goldberg (Violin); Lili Kraus (Piano)
  • Running Time: 23 min. 3 sec.
  • Period Time: Classical
  • Written: 1812

>Beethoven, Ludwig van : Serenade for violin, viola & cello in D major, Op. 8
  • Performers: Szymon Goldberg (Violin); Emanuel Feuermann (Cello); Paul Hindemith (Viola)
  • Notes: Composition written: 1796-97.
  • Running Time: 17 min. 8 sec.
  • Period Time: Classical
  • Written: 1796-1797

>Beethoven, Ludwig van : Quartet for Strings in A major, Op. 18/5 :: 3. Andante cantabile
  • Performer: Szymon Goldberg (Violin)
  • Notes: Composition written: 1798-1800.
  • Running Time: 9 min. 6 sec.
  • Period Time: Classical
  • Written: 1798-1800

>Beethoven, Ludwig van : Septet in E flat major, Op. 29 :: 2. Adagio cantabile
  • Performer: Szymon Goldberg (Violin)
  • Ensemble: Members of the Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra
  • Running Time: 9 min. 27 sec.
  • Period Time: Classical
  • Form: Chamber Music
  • Written: 1799-1800

>Antonin Dvorák (1841 - 1904) : Quartet for Strings no 12 in F major, Op. 96 'American' :: 2. Lento
  • Performer: Szymon Goldberg (Violin)
  • Notes: Composition written: 1893.
  • Running Time: 6 min. 57 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Form: Chamber Music
  • Written: 1893

>Antonin Dvorák (1841 - 1904) : Slavonic Dance no 2 for violin & piano in E minor, B. 170, (Op. 46/2)
  • Performer: Szymon Goldberg (Violin)
  • Running Time: 3 min. 1 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Written: 1891

>Hindemith, Paul : Trio for strings no 2
  • Performers: Paul Hindemith (Viola); Szymon Goldberg (Violin); Emanuel Feuermann (Cello)
  • Running Time: 22 min. 20 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Written: 1933