1 800 222 6872

Classic Musicals - works by Gershwin, Rodgers, Sondheim, Berlin et al. / Tommy Morgan, harmonica; Gregg Nestor, guitar

Audio Samples

>Strouse, Charles : Annie
>     Introduction / It's A Hard Knock Life / You're Never Fully Dressed Without A Smile / N.Y
>Gershwin, George : Swanee, song (for Capital Revue, by various composers)
>Gershwin, George : I'll Build a Stairway to Paradise, song (from George White's Scandals of 1922)
>Lane, Burton : Finian's Rainbow
>     Introduction / Look To the Rainbow / How Are Things in Glocca Morra? / Look To the
>Gershwin, George : Porgy and Bess
>     Introduction / Bess, You Is My Woman / Summertime / It Ain't Necessarily So
>Gershwin, George : They All Laughed, song (from Shall We Dance?, film)
>Rodgers, Richard : South Pacific
>     Bali Ha'i / A Wonderful Guy / I'm Gonna Wash That Man Right Outa my Hair / Bloody Mar
>Gershwin, George : Pardon My English
>     The Lorelei
>Gershwin, George : Work(s)
>     Gershwiniana
>Willson, Meredith : Shipoopi (from "The Music Man")
>Rodgers, Richard : Oklahoma!
>     Oh, What a Beautiful Mornin' / The Farmer and The Cowman / Pore Jud is Daid / Many a New
>Sondheim, Stephen : Send in the Clowns (for the musical A Little Night Music)
>Berlin, Irving : Annie Get Your Gun
>     Doin' What Comes Natur'lly / I Got The Sun in The Morning / Moonshine Lullaby /

Album Summary

>Strouse, Charles : Annie
>Gershwin, George : Swanee, song (for Capital Revue, by various composers)
>Gershwin, George : I'll Build a Stairway to Paradise, song (from George White's Scandals of 1922)
>Lane, Burton : Finian's Rainbow
>Gershwin, George : Porgy and Bess
>Gershwin, George : They All Laughed, song (from Shall We Dance?, film)
>Rodgers, Richard : South Pacific
>Gershwin, George : Pardon My English
>Gershwin, George : Work(s)
>Willson, Meredith : Shipoopi (from "The Music Man")
>Rodgers, Richard : Oklahoma!
>Sondheim, Stephen : Send in the Clowns (for the musical A Little Night Music)
>Berlin, Irving : Annie Get Your Gun
Performers Composers

Notes & Reviews:

Morgan is the most unique harmonica player in the recording industry today. In September 2010, Tommy celebrated 60 years as a recording musician in Hollywood (first "session" in September 1950 with the Andrew Sisters for Decca Records). Nestor has built a following for his abilities as soloist, accompanist, and arranger.

American Record Guide, May/June 2013
Nestor, in contrast, seems to be having a ball. He did the arrangements (with Morgan "enhancing" the harmonica parts, as one would expect), and they're all quite fine. He really plays with a smile, and sometimes the energy gets to his partner. Nestor is a highly regarded musician, with a specialty in arranging, often works from the American Songbook. His playing is delightful - sprightly and sensitive and always spirited. We have medleys here from Annie, Finian's Rainbow, Porgy and Bess, South Pacific, Oklahoma!, and Annie Get Your Gun. In between they play one or two songs, mostly by Gershwin (and there's a separate Gershwin medley). Many love this music in any setting.

Notes & Reviews:

Recording information: Hauser Music, Pasadena, CA (06/2010-07/2010).



Reviews

There are currently no reviews, be the first one!
Login or Create an Account to write a review

Works Details

>Strouse, Charles : Annie :: Introduction / It's A Hard Knock Life / You're Never Fully Dressed Without A Smile / N.Y
  • Performers: Gregg Nestor (Guitar); Tommy Morgan (Harmonica)
  • Running Time: 6 min. 8 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Written: 1977

>Gershwin, George : Swanee, song (for Capital Revue, by various composers)
  • Performers: Gregg Nestor (Guitar); Tommy Morgan (Harmonica)
  • Running Time: 1 min. 54 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Written: 1919

>Gershwin, George : I'll Build a Stairway to Paradise, song (from George White's Scandals of 1922)
  • Performers: Gregg Nestor (Guitar); Tommy Morgan (Harmonica)
  • Running Time: 2 min. 19 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Written: 1922

>Lane, Burton : Finian's Rainbow :: Introduction / Look To the Rainbow / How Are Things in Glocca Morra? / Look To the
  • Performers: Gregg Nestor (Guitar); Tommy Morgan (Harmonica)
  • Running Time: 8 min. 1 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Written: 1947

>Gershwin, George : Porgy and Bess :: Introduction / Bess, You Is My Woman / Summertime / It Ain't Necessarily So
  • Performers: Gregg Nestor (Guitar); Tommy Morgan (Harmonica)
  • Running Time: 6 min. 19 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Form: Opera/Operetta
  • Written: 1935

>Gershwin, George : They All Laughed, song (from Shall We Dance?, film)
  • Performers: Gregg Nestor (Guitar); Tommy Morgan (Harmonica)
  • Running Time: 1 min. 28 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Written: 1937

>Rodgers, Richard : South Pacific :: Bali Ha'i / A Wonderful Guy / I'm Gonna Wash That Man Right Outa my Hair / Bloody Mar
  • Performers: Gregg Nestor (Guitar); Tommy Morgan (Harmonica)
  • Running Time: 7 min. 24 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Written: 1949

>Gershwin, George : Pardon My English :: The Lorelei
  • Performers: Gregg Nestor (Guitar); Tommy Morgan (Harmonica)
  • Running Time: 2 min. 21 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Written: 1933

>Gershwin, George : Work(s) :: Gershwiniana
  • Performers: Gregg Nestor (Guitar); Tommy Morgan (Harmonica)
  • Running Time: 7 min. 20 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern

>Willson, Meredith : Shipoopi (from "The Music Man")
  • Performers: Gregg Nestor (Guitar); Tommy Morgan (Harmonica)
  • Running Time: 1 min. 37 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern

>Rodgers, Richard : Oklahoma! :: Oh, What a Beautiful Mornin' / The Farmer and The Cowman / Pore Jud is Daid / Many a New
  • Performers: Gregg Nestor (Guitar); Tommy Morgan (Harmonica)
  • Running Time: 7 min. 25 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Written: 1943

>Sondheim, Stephen : Send in the Clowns (for the musical A Little Night Music)
  • Performers: Gregg Nestor (Guitar); Tommy Morgan (Harmonica)
  • Running Time: 4 min. 4 sec.
  • Period Time: Contemporary
  • Form: Vocal
  • Written: 1973

>Berlin, Irving : Annie Get Your Gun :: Doin' What Comes Natur'lly / I Got The Sun in The Morning / Moonshine Lullaby /
  • Performers: Gregg Nestor (Guitar); Tommy Morgan (Harmonica)
  • Running Time: 7 min. 13 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Written: 1945-1946