Personnel: Dizzy Gillespie (trumpet); Phil Woods (alto saxophone); Tom Harrell (trumpet, flugelhorn); Hal Galper (piano); Bill Goodwin (drums).
Audio Remasterer: Peter Brussee.
Recording information: Studio 44, Monster, Holland (12/14/1986).
Photographer: Jan Persson.
As the greatest musical heir on alto sax to Charlie Parker, it seemed only natural for Phil Woods to record a date with Dizzy Gillespie. This European studio session features Dizzy as a special guest sitting in with one of Woods' greatest quintets, with pianist Hal Galper and the brilliant trumpeter and flugelhornist Tom Harrell. In fact Dizzy's chops had already slipped somewhat during the decade and Harrell clearly outplays him even though he clearly isn't trying to embarrass the legendary trumpeter. Gillespie is at his best with a muted solo on "'Round Midnight," while Woods, Harrell and Galper are all outstanding throughout the entire CD. ~ Ken Dryden
ReviewsThere are currently no reviews, be the first one!
- Oo-Shoo-Be-Doo-Be...Oo, Oo...Oo, Oo (Terry, Lilian)
- Jazz Maturity....Where It's Coming From (Eldridge, Roy)
- The Trumpet Kings Meet Joe Turner (Eldridge, Roy)
- The Trumpet Summit Meets the Oscar Peterson Big Fo (Oscar Peterson Big 4)
- With Gil Fuller and the Monterey Jazz Festival Orc (Monterey Jazz Festival Orchestr)