1 800 222 6872

J.S. Bach: Piano Music - includes Italian Concerto, Chaconne in D Minor, Toccata & Fugue in D Minor / Tatiana Nikolayeva, piano

Audio Samples

>Bach, Johann Sebastian : Italian Concerto in F major, BWV 971
>Busoni, Ferruccio : Toccata Transcriptions
>     Toccata & Fugue in D minor, BWV 565
>Hess, Myra : Jesus bleibet meine Freude (Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring), transcription for solo piano (after Bach,
>Busoni, Ferruccio : Four Chorale Preludes
>Bach, Johann Sebastian : Fugue for organ in G minor ("Little"), BWV 578 (BC J66)
>Busoni, Ferruccio : Chaconne, transcription for piano in D minor (after J. S. Bach, BWV 1004), KiV B24
>Kempff, Wilhelm : Siciliano from Flute Sonata in E major, transcription for piano (after J. S. Bach BWV 1031)

Album Summary

>Bach, Johann Sebastian : Italian Concerto in F major, BWV 971
>Busoni, Ferruccio : Toccata Transcriptions
>Hess, Myra : Jesus bleibet meine Freude (Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring), transcription for solo piano (after Bach,
>Busoni, Ferruccio : Four Chorale Preludes
>Bach, Johann Sebastian : Fugue for organ in G minor ("Little"), BWV 578 (BC J66)
>Busoni, Ferruccio : Chaconne, transcription for piano in D minor (after J. S. Bach, BWV 1004), KiV B24
>Kempff, Wilhelm : Siciliano from Flute Sonata in E major, transcription for piano (after J. S. Bach BWV 1031)
Performer Composers

Notes & Reviews:

For decades Tatiana Nikolayeva was celebrated as one of the finest pianists and teachers in the Soviet world, but it was not until the waning days of the Soviet Union that her renown spread to the West.

Commanding a very large repertoire of piano works by composers both Russian and Western, her most notable recordings were of Bach and Beethoven, often on the state-owned Melodiya imprint.

This album contains some of her signature Bach pieces, including the Italian Concerto, Toccata & Fugue in D Minor, Chaconne in D Minor, and Jesu Joy of Man's Desiring.

Gramophone recommended, this album that will please both the casual listener and the most erudite connoisseur.

Gramophone
Nikolayeva's version of [Toccata and Fugue in D minor is] played with due majesty and sense of drama, and given something of an organ-like palette of color... [She is] a romantic at heart and so too is her view. The Chaconne is majestic and heartfelt but it isn't 'baroque'... As a statement of love and respect by a superb pianist this is an eloquent recording.

Notes & Reviews:

Recording information: Moscow (1980).



Reviews

There are currently no reviews, be the first one!
Login or Create an Account to write a review
 

Also Purchased



Previous


Next


Works Details

>Bach, Johann Sebastian : Italian Concerto in F major, BWV 971
  • Performer: Tatiana Nikolayeva (Piano)
  • Notes: Composition written: 1735.
  • Running Time: 11 min. 17 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque
  • Form: Concerto
  • Written: 1735

>Busoni, Ferruccio : Toccata Transcriptions :: Toccata & Fugue in D minor, BWV 565
  • Performer: Tatiana Nikolayeva (Piano)
  • Running Time: 9 min. 30 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Written: 06/1899

>Hess, Myra : Jesus bleibet meine Freude (Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring), transcription for solo piano (after Bach,
  • Performer: Tatiana Nikolayeva (Piano)
  • Running Time: 3 min. 42 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern

>Busoni, Ferruccio : Four Chorale Preludes
  • Performer: Tatiana Nikolayeva (Piano)
  • Notes: Composition written: 1898.
  • Running Time: 4 min. 41 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Written: 1898

>Bach, Johann Sebastian : Fugue for organ in G minor ("Little"), BWV 578 (BC J66)
  • Performer: Tatiana Nikolayeva (Piano)
  • Running Time: 5 min. 38 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque
  • Written: by 1707

>Busoni, Ferruccio : Four Chorale Preludes
  • Performer: Tatiana Nikolayeva (Piano)
  • Notes: Composition written: 1898.
  • Running Time: 5 min. 58 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Written: 1898

>Busoni, Ferruccio : Chaconne, transcription for piano in D minor (after J. S. Bach, BWV 1004), KiV B24
  • Performer: Tatiana Nikolayeva (Piano)
  • Running Time: 16 min. 54 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Written: 1893

>Busoni, Ferruccio : Four Chorale Preludes
  • Performer: Tatiana Nikolayeva (Piano)
  • Notes: Composition written: 1898.
  • Running Time: 4 min. 33 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Written: 1898

>Kempff, Wilhelm : Siciliano from Flute Sonata in E major, transcription for piano (after J. S. Bach BWV 1031)
  • Performer: Tatiana Nikolayeva (Piano)
  • Running Time: 5 min. 19 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Written: by 1931