- Saariaho — La passion de Simone: Station 1. Simone, grande soeur $0.99 on iTunes
- Saariaho — La passion de Simone: Station 2. Simone, grande soeur - Tu as choisi de porter ta croix $0.99 on iTunes
- Saariaho — La passion de Simone: Station 3. Une autre que toi $0.99 on iTunes
- Saariaho — La passion de Simone: Station 4. Attentive a la souffrance des humains $0.99 on iTunes
- Saariaho — La passion de Simone: Station 5. Travailler de tes mains, Simone? $0.99 on iTunes
- Saariaho — La passion de Simone: Station 6. Et puis il y a cette image, Simone $0.99 on iTunes
- Saariaho — La passion de Simone: Station 8. Dieu se retire pour ne pas etre aime $0.99 on iTunes
- Saariaho — La passion de Simone: Station 9. Savoir aimer - Dieu, pour Lui-meme $0.99 on iTunes
- Saariaho — La passion de Simone: Station 12. Alors tu as choisi de te sacrifier autrement $0.99 on iTunes
- Saariaho — La passion de Simone: Final Station. Par ta mort, tout ce que tu avais dit $0.99 on iTunes
Notes & Reviews:
Kaija Saariaho's La Passion de Simone, an oratorio about the life and thoughts of Simone Weil for soprano solo, choir, orchestra and electronics, is now being released for the first time on CD (SACD). La Passion de is not only the most important work by Kaija Saariaho (even she herself said so), but recording features top performers including soprano Dawn Upshaw and Esa-Pekka Salonen conducting the Finnish Radio Symphony Orchestra and the Tapiola Chamber Choir.
BBC Music Magazine, July 2013
Upshaw's always seems the perfect voice and sensibility for Saariaho's music; and Esa-Pekka Salonen, Saariaho's colleague from their student days, is an intensely engaged and sympathetic director of his forces and of the score.
Gramophone Magazine, July 2013
A guiding idea for the work is the polarity of light and gravity...Upshaw does as much with the demanding vocal lines as anyone could expect of her, and Salonen and his forces keep everything in sharp focus.
International Record Review, June 2013
That the soprano part is tailor-made for Upshaw ensures a smooth elegance in the middle register...The Tapiola Chamber Choir is in command of the diaphanous and often Messiaenic choral writing, with the Finnish Radio Symphony Orchestra no less responsive under the guidance of Esa-Pekka Salonen. As a present for Saariaho's 60th birthday, this could hardly have been improved upon.
The Guardian, 9th May 2013
The playing is formidable.
Personnel: Gabrielle Lamb (dancer).
Recording information: Helsinki Music Centre, Finland (10/19/2012-10/20/2012).
Submitted on 04/29/13 by Dan Coombs
Kaija Saariaho: The Works for Orchestra [4 CDs]
Rautavaara: Missa a Cappella; Sacred Choral Works / Latvian Radio Choir
Uljas Pulkkis: Tales of Joy, Passion, and Love / Kari Kriikku, clarinet;
Lowell Liebermann: Revelry / Grant Llewellyn, BBC Symphony Orchestra
Rachmaninov: All-Night Vigil / Latvian Radio Choir
Einojuhani Rautavaara: Choral Works / Finnish Radio Chamber Choir & SO
Kaija Saariaho: Chamber Works for Strings, Vol. 1 & 2 / META4 ensemble; Anna Laakso, piano; Marko Myohanen, electronics
Weinberg: Symphony No. 8 'Polish Flowers', Op. 83 / Rafal Bartminski, tenor; Magdalena Dobrowolska, soprano; Ewa Marciniec, alto
Kaija Saariaho: Trios / Steven Dann, viola; Pia Freund, soprano; Tuija Hakkila, piano; Ernst Kovacic, violin et al.
Works DetailsSaariaho, Kaija : Le Passione de Simone, oratorio for soprano, chorus, orchestra & electronics
- Performer: Dawn Upshaw
- Conductor: Esa-Pekka Salonen
- Ensemble: Tapiola Chamber Choir
- Notes: Helsinki Music Centre, Finland (10/19/2012-10/20/2012)
- Running Time: 3 min. 19 sec.
- Period Time: Contemporary
- Written: 2006