1 800 222 6872

Ovation - Beethoven: The Violin Sonatas / Perlman, Ashkenazy

Album Summary

>Beethoven, Ludwig van : Sonata for Violin and Piano no 1 in D major, Op. 12 no 1
>Beethoven, Ludwig van : Sonata for Violin and Piano no 2 in A major, Op. 12
>Beethoven, Ludwig van : Sonata for Violin and Piano no 3 in E flat major, Op. 12 no 3
>Beethoven, Ludwig van : Sonata for Violin and Piano no 4 in A minor, Op. 23
>Beethoven, Ludwig van : Sonata for violin & piano no 6 in A major, Op. 30/1
>Beethoven, Ludwig van : Sonata for Violin and Piano no 8 in G major, Op. 30 no 3
>Beethoven, Ludwig van : Sonata for Violin and Piano no 9 in A major, Op. 47 "Kreutzer"
>Beethoven, Ludwig van : Sonata for Violin and Piano no 5 in F major, Op. 24 "Spring"
>Beethoven, Ludwig van : Sonata for violin & piano no 7 in C minor ("Eroica"), Op. 30/2
>Beethoven, Ludwig van : Sonata for Violin and Piano no 10 in G major, Op. 96
Performers Composer

Notes & Reviews:

Gramophone Classical Music Guide
Although Beethoven designated these works as 'for piano and violin', following Mozart's example, it's unlikely that he thought of the piano as leading the proceedings, or the violin either, for that matter: both instruments are equal partners, and in that sense this is true chamber music. Perlman and Ashkenazy are artists of the first rank and there's much pleasure to be derived from their set. Such an imaginative musician as Ashkenazy brings great subtlety to these works composed by a supreme pianist composer.

And the better the pianist is in this music, the better does the violinist play. Discernment is matched by spontaneity and the whole series is remarkably fine, while their celebrated performance of the Kreutzer Sonata has quite superb eloquence and vitality.

The recording boasts unusually truthful violin sound capturing all the colour of Perlman's playing.



Reviews

There are currently no reviews, be the first one!
Login or Create an Account to write a review
 

Also Purchased

Works Details

>Beethoven, Ludwig van : Sonata for Violin and Piano no 1 in D major, Op. 12 no 1
  • Performers: Vladimir Ashkenazy (Piano); Itzhak Perlman (Violin)
  • Notes: Composition written: 1797-98.
  • Running Time: 22 min. 46 sec.
  • Period Time: Classical
  • Written: 1797-1798

>Beethoven, Ludwig van : Sonata for Violin and Piano no 2 in A major, Op. 12
  • Performers: Vladimir Ashkenazy (Piano); Itzhak Perlman (Violin)
  • Notes: Composition written: 1797-98.
  • Running Time: 16 min. 19 sec.
  • Period Time: Classical
  • Written: 1797-1798

>Beethoven, Ludwig van : Sonata for Violin and Piano no 3 in E flat major, Op. 12 no 3
  • Performers: Vladimir Ashkenazy (Piano); Itzhak Perlman (Violin)
  • Notes: Composition written: 1797-98.
  • Running Time: 19 min. 6 sec.
  • Period Time: Classical
  • Written: 1797-1798

>Beethoven, Ludwig van : Sonata for Violin and Piano no 4 in A minor, Op. 23
  • Performers: Vladimir Ashkenazy (Piano); Itzhak Perlman (Violin)
  • Notes: Composition written: 1800.
  • Running Time: 19 min. 33 sec.
  • Period Time: Classical
  • Written: 1800

>Beethoven, Ludwig van : Sonata for violin & piano no 6 in A major, Op. 30/1
  • Performers: Vladimir Ashkenazy (Piano); Itzhak Perlman (Violin)
  • Notes: Composition written: 1801-02.
  • Running Time: 24 min. 22 sec.
  • Period Time: Classical
  • Written: 1801-1802

>Beethoven, Ludwig van : Sonata for Violin and Piano no 8 in G major, Op. 30 no 3
  • Performers: Vladimir Ashkenazy (Piano); Itzhak Perlman (Violin)
  • Notes: Composition written: 1801-02.
  • Running Time: 17 min. 20 sec.
  • Period Time: Classical
  • Written: 1801-1802

>Beethoven, Ludwig van : Sonata for Violin and Piano no 9 in A major, Op. 47 "Kreutzer"
  • Performers: Vladimir Ashkenazy (Piano); Itzhak Perlman (Violin)
  • Running Time: 36 min. 40 sec.
  • Period Time: Classical
  • Written: 1802-1803

>Beethoven, Ludwig van : Sonata for Violin and Piano no 5 in F major, Op. 24 "Spring"
  • Performers: Vladimir Ashkenazy (Piano); Itzhak Perlman (Violin)
  • Running Time: 23 min. 46 sec.
  • Period Time: Classical
  • Written: 1800-1801

>Beethoven, Ludwig van : Sonata for violin & piano no 7 in C minor ("Eroica"), Op. 30/2
  • Performers: Vladimir Ashkenazy (Piano); Itzhak Perlman (Violin)
  • Running Time: 27 min. 38 sec.
  • Period Time: Classical
  • Written: 1801-1802

>Beethoven, Ludwig van : Sonata for Violin and Piano no 10 in G major, Op. 96
  • Performers: Vladimir Ashkenazy (Piano); Itzhak Perlman (Violin)
  • Running Time: 27 min. 20 sec.
  • Period Time: Classical
  • Written: 1812