- Martynov — Lamentations of Jeremiah: I. Prologue 1 $0.69 on iTunes
- Martynov — Lamentations of Jeremiah: II. Chapter I
- Martynov — Lamentations of Jeremiah: III. Prologue 2 $0.69 on iTunes
- Martynov — Lamentations of Jeremiah: IV. Chapter II
- Martynov — Lamentations of Jeremiah: V. Prologue 3 $0.69 on iTunes
- Martynov — Lamentations of Jeremiah: VI. Chapter III
- Martynov — Lamentations of Jeremiah: VII. Prologue 4 $0.69 on iTunes
- Martynov — Lamentations of Jeremiah: VIII. Chapter IV $0.69 on iTunes
- Martynov — Lamentations of Jeremiah: IX. Prayer of the Prophet Jeremiah
Notes & Reviews:
Martynov's Lamentations of Jeremiah are an expression of despair over the destruction of Jerusalem, and presents a prayer of hope, the hope that despair will lead to construction and creation. The work was written for the Sirin Choir, conducted by Andrei Kotov, whose interpretation we hear on this recording. Liner notes are provided by Martynov.
BBC Music Magazine, November 2013
In many ways a striking recording of Russian avant-garde-ist Vladimir Martynov's imposing chant-setting of the Lamentations. Strongly distinctive, pungent textures from the choir.
MusicWeb International, 5th July 2013
The singing here is exceptional with the Sirin Choir creating an otherworldly atmosphere that can bring both inner peace ... and goose pimples. Martynov composed the work especially for this choir having been spellbound by their undoubted abilities in this special field.
American Record Guide, November/December 2013
Vladimir Martynov (b 1946) is a highly versatile Russian composer who has written everything from solo instrumental and chamber music to concertos and a rock opera. Much of his early work employed serial harmonics. These influences are all readily apparent in these striking, well-crafted, and very unusual settings of the Lamentations of Jeremiah. I found these pieces interesting and worth hearing, as with many recordings of early chant, I found listening to the entire album at one sitting quite a challenge. Students of ancient sacred music and old Russian chant will find this of interest.
Recording information: Mosfilm Studio, Moscow (03/1997).
ReviewsThere are currently no reviews, be the first one!
Pieter Bustijn: Suittes pour le Clavessin / Simonetto
Alexander Dargomyzhsky (1813-1869): Rusalka, opera / Vedernikov, Mikhailova, Pluzhnikov, Pisarenko. Fedoseyev
Caspar Kummer: Chamber Music for Winds / Luigi Magistrelli, Italian Classical Consort
Bernardo Pasquini: Sonatas for Two Organs / Luca Scandali; Hadrien Jourdan, organs
René Drouard de Bousett: Cantates Spirituelles / Le Tendre Amour
Platti: Chamber Music / Ensemble Cordia
Shostakovich: Choral Music / Chorus of the Moscow Academy of Choral Arts
Marco Frisina: Passio Caeciliae / Barbara Vignudelli; David Sebasti. Coro Musicanova
Giovanni Albini (b. 1982): Musica Ciclica / Davide Alogna, violin; Giorgio Mirto, guitar
Works DetailsMartynov, Vladimir : Lamentations of Jermiah
- Conductor: Andrey Kotov
- Ensemble: The Sirin Choir
- Running Time: 2 min. 25 sec.
- Period Time: Contemporary
- Written: 1992