- Liza Lim — At Dawn I Heard the Tongue of the Invisible
- Liza Lim — Between the Pages of the World (I) $1.29 on iTunes
- Liza Lim — This Door Is the Mouth of Love $1.29 on iTunes
- Liza Lim — Between the Pages of the World (II) $1.29 on iTunes
- Liza Lim — The Roots of the World Are Entwined in the Wind $1.29 on iTunes
- Liza Lim — Between the Pages of the World (III) $1.29 on iTunes
- Liza Lim — Our Embraces Are a Banquet of Revolving Time $1.29 on iTunes
Notes & Reviews:
Chinese Australian composer Liza Lim was inspired by the lyric poetry of the Sufi poet Hafiz for her work Tongue of the Invisible. Lim explains, "the way in which he mixes and shifts levels of meaning gives rise to complex and indeterminable frames of mind in oneself." This variety of meaning is first and foremost reflected in the juxtaposition and coexistence of precisely and meticulously composed textures and improvised elements. But the compilation of the text set to music also facilitates numerous variants and interpretations. These dialogues are superbly "narrated" here by the pianist Uri Caine, singer Omar Ebrahim and the soloists of the ensemble musikFabrik.
American Record Guide, January/February 2014
Tongue of the Invisible is an hour-long semi-improvisation by piano, baritone, and ensemble on texts by the 14th Century Sufi poet Hafiz, sung in English. There are some great effects achieved through manipulation of the instruments.
Recording information: Klaus-von-Bismarck-Saal, WDR Funkhaus am Wallrafplatz K (06/25/2011).
ReviewsThere are currently no reviews, be the first one!
The Compact Opera Collection - Rossini: Il Barbiere/Marriner
Lassus: Lagrime di San Pietro (The Tears of St. Peter) / Gallicantus
Pierre-Yves Mace: Segments et Apostilles
Jacques Demierre (b.1954): Breaking Stone
John Zorn (Composer)/Thurston Moore: @
Prokofiev: Piano Concerto no 3; Bartok: Piano Concerto no 2 / Lang Lang, piano; Berlin PO, Rattle
Gyorgy Ligeti: Violin Concerto; Lontano; Atmospheres; San Francisco Polyphony / Benjamin Schmid, violin
A Sweeter Music / Sarah Cahill, piano
Peteris Vasks: Flute Concerto; Flute Sonata; Aria e danza et al. / Michael Faust, flute; Sheila Arnold, piano
Works DetailsLim, Liza : Tongue of the Invisible, for improvised piano, baritone & 16 musicians
- Performers: Uri Caine (Piano); Omar Ebrahim (Baritone)
- Conductor: André Ridder
- Ensemble: MusikFabrik
- Running Time: 52 min. 42 sec.
- Period Time: Modern
- Written: 2010-2011