|Jeanne d'Arc au bucher - Scene 7: Catherine et Marguerite (Catherine and Margaret)|
|Jeanne d'Arc au bucher - Scene 8: Le roi qui va-t-a rheims (The king set out for rheims)|
|Jeanne d'Arc au bucher - Scene 9: L'epee de Jeanne (The sword of Joan)|
|Jeanne d'Arc au bucher - Scene 10: Trimazo|
|Jeanne d'Arc au bucher - Scene 11: Jeanne d'arc en flammes (The burning of Joan of arc)|
|Jeanne d'Arc au bucher - Scene 5: Jeanne au poteau (Joan at the stake)|
|Jeanne d'Arc au bucher - Scene 6: Les rois ou l'invention du jeu de cartes (The kings or the invention of the game of cards)|
- Florian Schmitt-Bohn (Voice)
- Jean-Philippe Ouellet (Voice)
- Francois Roux
- Karen Wierzba (Soprano)
- Jean-Noel Briend
- Stefan Muller-Ruppert (Voice)
- Martine Saniter (Voice)
- Letizia Scherrer (Soprano)
Notes & Reviews:
In the series of great oratorios that Rilling has devoted his life to recording, such a seminal work like Arthur Honegger's dramatic oratorio 'Jeanne d'Arc au bucher,' composed in 1935 is not missing. This 2011 recording shines with an outstanding team of both outstanding singers and choirs. They play a major role in the work's structure.
BBC Music Magazine, December 2013
Rilling captures the shifting moods - passion, lyricism, vulgarity, suffering - with superb elan. If Joan's notated spoken interpretations are not always precisely in place, that's a small price to pay.
MusicWeb International, 11th February 2014
Rilling handles most of the score very well. He imparts colour and liveliness to Scene VIII, parts of which are the weaker passages in the score...He obtains very good, incisive playing from the orchestra and the adult choir sings admirably. So too does the children's choir, who do well in Scene IX, sounding like cultivated urchins.
Recording information: Beethovensaal, Liederhalle Stuttgart (04/02/2011-04/03/2011).
ReviewsThere are currently no reviews, be the first one!
Works DetailsHonegger, Arthur : Jeanne d'Arc au bûcher, dramatic oratorio for various speakers & vocal soloists, chorus & orchestra,
- Performers: Florian Schmitt-Bohn (Voice); Jean-Philippe Ouellet (Voice); Francois Roux; Karen Wierzba (Soprano); Jean-Noel Briend; Stefan Muller-Ruppert (Voice); Martine Saniter (Voice); Letizia Scherrer (Soprano)
- Conductor: Helmuth Rilling
- Ensemble: Gachinger Kantorei Stuttgart
- Notes: Beethovensaal , Liederhalle Stuttgart (04/02/2011-04/03/2011)
- Running Time: 81 min. 44 sec.
- Period Time: Modern
- Form: Cantata/Oratorio
- Written: 1935-1944