- Stefan Muller-Ruppert (Voice)
- Jean-Philippe Ouellet (Voice)
- Letizia Scherrer (Soprano)
- Florian Schmitt-Bohn (Voice)
- Francois Roux
- Karen Wierzba (Soprano)
- Jean-Noel Briend
- Martine Saniter (Voice)
Notes & Reviews:
In the series of great oratorios that Rilling has devoted his life to recording, such a seminal work like Arthur Honegger's dramatic oratorio 'Jeanne d'Arc au bucher,' composed in 1935 is not missing. This 2011 recording shines with an outstanding team of both outstanding singers and choirs. They play a major role in the work's structure.
BBC Music Magazine, December 2013
Rilling captures the shifting moods - passion, lyricism, vulgarity, suffering - with superb elan. If Joan's notated spoken interpretations are not always precisely in place, that's a small price to pay.
MusicWeb International, 11th February 2014
Rilling handles most of the score very well. He imparts colour and liveliness to Scene VIII, parts of which are the weaker passages in the score...He obtains very good, incisive playing from the orchestra and the adult choir sings admirably. So too does the children's choir, who do well in Scene IX, sounding like cultivated urchins.
Recording information: Beethovensaal, Liederhalle Stuttgart (04/02/2011-04/03/2011).
ReviewsThere are currently no reviews, be the first one!
Asia: Symphonies no 2 & 3 / Sedares, Phoenix Symphony
J.S. Bach: Cantatas & Arias
Biber: Vesperae longiores ac breviores
Johann Adolf Hasse: Requiem in C
James Whitbourne: Living Voices
Bach: Mass in B minor, BWV 232 / Sonntag, Lipovsek, Crook, Schmidt. Rilling
The Pleasant Nightingale, Love songs of the Baroque / Eitrich, soprano
Weinberg: Symphony No. 8 'Polish Flowers', Op. 83 / Rafal Bartminski, tenor; Magdalena Dobrowolska, soprano; Ewa Marciniec, alto
Penderecki: Piano Concerto 'Resurrection'; Flute Concerto / Barry Douglas, piano; Lukasz Dlugosz, flute
Works DetailsHonegger, Arthur : Jeanne d'Arc au bûcher, dramatic oratorio for various speakers & vocal soloists, chorus & orchestra
- Performers: Stefan Muller-Ruppert (Voice); Jean-Philippe Ouellet (Voice); Letizia Scherrer (Soprano); Florian Schmitt-Bohn (Voice); Francois Roux; Karen Wierzba (Soprano); Jean-Noel Briend; Martine Saniter (Voice)
- Conductor: Helmuth Rilling
- Ensemble: Gachinger Kantorei Stuttgart
- Notes: Beethovensaal , Liederhalle Stuttgart (04/02/2011-04/03/2011)
- Running Time: 81 min. 44 sec.
- Period Time: Modern
- Form: Cantata/Oratorio
- Written: 1935-1944