- Mozart — Clarinet Concerto in A Major, K. 622: I. Allegro
- Mozart — Clarinet Concerto in A Major, K. 622: II. Adagio $0.99 on iTunes
- Mozart — Clarinet Concerto in A Major, K. 622: III. Rondo. Allegro $0.99 on iTunes
- Mozart — Piano Trio No. 2 in E-Flat Major, K. 498, "Kegelstatt": I. Andante $0.99 on iTunes
- Mozart — Piano Trio No. 2 in E-Flat Major, K. 498, "Kegelstatt": II. Menuetto $0.99 on iTunes
- Mozart — Piano Trio No. 2 in E-Flat Major, K. 498, "Kegelstatt": III. Rondo. Allegretto $0.99 on iTunes
- Mozart — Clarinet Quintet in B-Flat Major, K. Anh. 91 (completed by R.D. Levin) $0.99 on iTunes
- Martin Frost (Basset Clarinet)
- Leif Andsnes (Piano)
- Martin Frost (Clarinet)
- Antoine Tamesit (Viola)
- Boris Brovtsyn (Violin)
- Janine Jansen (Violin)
- Maxim Rysanov (Viola)
- Torleif Thedeen (Cello)
Notes & Reviews:
One of a small handful of truly international wind players, Martin Frost mesmerizes audiences throughout the world, whether he is performing one of the several concertos that have been composed especially for him or core repertoire such as the sonatas by Brahms, the concertante pieces by Weber or, indeed, the clarinet works by W.A. Mozart. Released 10 years ago, in 2003, Frost's first recording of the Concerto in A major is one of the best-selling discs in BIS' history. Returning to this glorious work, he now also directs the eminent Deutsche Kammerphilharmonie Bremen himself. For the couplings on this very special release, Martin Frost has assembled a truly star-studded group of musician friends, with Leif Ove Andsnes and Antoine Tamestit partnering him in the so-called Kegelstatt Trio, and with Janine Jansen, Boris Brovtsyn, Maxim Rysanov and Torleif Thedeen joining him in the rarely heard Allegro for Clarinet and String Quartet, K Anh.91. Probably composed in 1787 - two years before the famous Quintet in A major for the same forces - the Allegro, in the extant autograph manuscript, breaks off after 93 bars, or three bars into the development section. If Mozart actually completed the movement and for what purpose he intended it isn't known, but the completion made by Robert Levin adds to the modern clarinetist's repertoire a work of great imagination that would otherwise have languished unperformed.
BBC Music Magazine, February 2014
Fr÷st's approach to Mozart's masterly Concerto is nothing if not stylish...It's all as precise and precious as a piece of Dresden china, and, as that suggests, perhaps a bit bloodless...In Robert Levin's convincing completion, [the Allegro] makes a fascinating conclusion to an immaculately played and beautifully recorded disc.
Gramophone Magazine, December 2013
With his smooth, liquid tone, Fr÷st is always sensitive to the music's melancholy undertow, bending the pulse in response to shadowing of the harmony. His discreet added embellishments and inventive 'leads-in' always sound spontaneous.
Sunday Times, 27th October 2013
[Fr÷st] remains one of [the Quintet's] supreme interpreters...[The Allegro is] a shaving from the master's workbench, but the concerto and trio are pure joy from first to last.
The Guardian, 17th October 2013
[Fr÷st's] performance has great suavity and fluency...[but] it's all too beautifully manicured...Fr÷st's partners [in the Allegro] include violinist Janine Jansen and viola player Maxim Rysanov: a stellar lineup for a work that's a historical footnote.
ReviewsThere are currently no reviews, be the first one!
The Mighty Clouds of Joy (Group): Classic 3 [Box]
Beethoven: The Late Piano Sonatas, Opp. 101, 106, 109, 110, 111 / Igor Levit, piano
Schumann: Violin Concerto; Phantasie / Baiba Skride, violin; Danish Nat'l Orch., Storgards
The Verdi Album / Jonas Kaufmann, tenor
Bach: Cantatas, Vol. 54: Nos. 14, 100, 197, 197a / Bach Collegium Japan, Suzuki
Verdi /Anna Netrebko, soprano; Gianandrea Noseda [CD/DVD Combo][Limited Edition]
Great Works for Flute & Orchestra by Nielsen, Griffes, Reinecke, Chaminade, Poulenc et al. / Sharon Bezaly, flute
The Phoenix Rising - Great choral works by Byrd, Gibbons, Morley, Tallis, Taverner, White / Stile Antico
Sergey Prokofiev: Piano Sonatas 6-8 / Vladimir Ashkenazy, piano
Works DetailsMozart, Wolfgang Amadeus : Concerto for Clarinet in A major, K 622
- Performer: Martin Frost (Basset Clarinet)
- Conductor: Martin Frost
- Ensemble: Deutsche Kammerphilharmonie Bremen
- Running Time: 27 min. 5 sec.
- Period Time: Classical
- Form: Concerto
- Written: 1791
Mozart, Wolfgang Amadeus : Trio for Clarinet, Viola and Piano in E flat major, K 498 "Kegelstatt"
- Performers: Leif Andsnes (Piano); Martin Frost (Clarinet); Antoine Tamesit (Viola)
- Notes: Composition written: 1786.
- Running Time: 18 min. 55 sec.
- Period Time: Classical
- Form: Chamber Music
- Written: 1786
Mozart, Wolfgang Amadeus : Allegro for Clarinet and String Quartet in Bb, K Anh. 91 (516c) [Fragment]
- Performers: Boris Brovtsyn (Violin); Martin Frost (Clarinet); Janine Jansen (Violin); Maxim Rysanov (Viola); Torleif Thedeen (Cello)
- Running Time: 7 min. 40 sec.
- Period Time: Classical
- Written: 1787