- Bruckner — Symphony No. 4 in E-Flat Major, WAB 104, "Romantic": I. Bewegt, nicht zu schnell (1886 version, ed. L. Nowak)
- Bruckner — Symphony No. 4 in E-Flat Major, WAB 104, "Romantic": II. Andante quasi allegretto (1886 version, ed. L. Nowak)
- Bruckner — Symphony No. 4 in E-Flat Major, WAB 104, "Romantic": III. Scherzo. Bewegt (1886 version, ed. L. Nowak)
- Bruckner — Symphony No. 4 in E-Flat Major, WAB 104, "Romantic": IV. Finale. Bewegt, doch nicht zu schnell (1886 version, ed. L. Nowak)
Notes & Reviews:
This is the last release in PentaTone's Bruckner Symphonies cycle with the Orchestre de la Suisse Romande. Gramophone wrote, 'There's more than a touch of the great Eugen Jochum in Janowski's approach.'
American Record Guide, January/February 2014
Marek Janowski has been a great Bruckner conductor for 20 or 30 years, and this is part of a complete set recorded in glorious sound in Geneva. This one is from October of 2012. This is a symphony of horns, and the horns sound wonderful. The strings are warm and dark. It's a full sound. This is great conducting by an architect of the podium. Bruckner is a favorite composer of mine, and this is my favorite Bruckner symphony. This is great Bruckner. The orchestra, too, seems to have come into a period of greatness. Their sound is glorious. So Janowski stays among our top recommendations. The three greatest ones include the Decca Bohm and the EMI Karajan as well as this one.
Financial Times, 18th January 2014
Janowski, a no-nonsense Brucknerian, showcases his orchestra's singing violins and sensitive woodwinds, but the cello lines are alarmingly thin and the overall sound lacks the majesty this music demands.
Recording information: Victoria Hall, Geneva, Switzerland (10/2012).
ReviewsThere are currently no reviews, be the first one!
Holst: Orchestral Works, Vol. 3 - First Choral Symphony; The Mystic Trumpeter / Susan Gritton, soprano
Brett Dean: The Lost Art of Letter Writing; Testament; Vexations and Devotions / Peter Zimmerman, violin; Brabbins; Nott
Glière: Symphony No. 3 "Il'ya Muromets" / Buffalo PO, Falletta
Rued Langgaard: String Quartets, Vol. 2 / Nightingale String Quartet
Florent Schmitt (1870-1958): Le petit elfe ferme-l'oil, ballet; Introit, Récit et Congé for cello & orchestra / Henri Demarquette, cello
Prokofiev: Piano Concertos nos 1-5 / Jean-Efflam Bavouzet, piano
Vivaldi: Concertos for Strings, Vol. 2 / Concerto Italiano
Thomas Sleeper (b.1956): Four Concertos / Huifang Chen, violin; Dale Underwood, alto saxophone; Tim Conner, trombone; Jennifer Culp, cello
Mieczyslaw Weinberg (1919-1996): Chamber works and works for orchestra & chamber orchestra / Gidon Kremer, violin
Works DetailsBruckner, Anton : Symphony no 4 in E flat major ("Romantic"), WAB 104
- Conductor: Marek Janowski
- Ensemble: Orchestre de la Suisse Romande
- Notes: Composition written: 1874-88.
- Running Time: 62 min. 45 sec.
- Period Time: Romantic
- Form: Orchestral
- Written: 1874-1888