1 800 222 6872

Weber: Symphonies; Overtures; Piano Concertos; Clarinet Concertos / Emma Johnson, clarinet; Peter Rosel, piano

Album Summary

>Weber, Carl Maria von : Symphony no 1 in C major, J. 50 (Op. 19)
>Weber, Carl Maria von : Symphony no 2 in C major, J. 51
>Weber, Carl Maria von : Konzertstuck for Piano and Orchestra in F minor, Op. 79
>Weber, Carl Maria von : Concerto for Piano no 1 in C major, J. 98 (Op. 11)
>Weber, Carl Maria von : Concerto for Piano no 2 in E flat major, J. 155 (Op. 32)
>Weber, Carl Maria von : Concerto for Clarinet no 1 in F minor, J 114/Op 73
>Weber, Carl Maria von : Concerto for Clarinet no 2 in E flat major, J. 118 (Op. 74)
>Weber, Carl Maria von : Oberon, overture
>Weber, Carl Maria von : Peter Schmoll, overture to the opera
>Weber, Carl Maria von : Der Beherrscher der Geister (The Ruler of the Spirits), overture for orchestra, J. 122 (Op. 27) (rev
>Weber, Carl Maria von : Preciosa, incidental music for soloist, chorus & orchestra, J. 279 (Op. 78)
>Weber, Carl Maria von : Jubel Overture, J 245/Op. 59
>Weber, Carl Maria von : Euryanthe
Performers Conductors Ensembles Composer

Notes & Reviews:

Carl Maria von Weber marked the transition from the Classical to the Romantic period. His works, while adhering to the formal style of the Viennese School, abound in dramatic contrasts and glittering instrumental virtuosity. Bringing together many world-class names, such as Emma Johnson on clarinet and Sir Neville Marriner conducting the Academy of St Martin in the Fields, this collection is the perfect introduction to a composer whose oeuvre holds a significant place in the music history books.

American Record Guide, May/June 2014
Brilliant has collected these recordings from varied sources; all are reissues of full discs from 1974 to 1984. The symphonies are led by Neville Marriner, and they are lively and winsome.



Reviews

There are currently no reviews, be the first one!
Login or Create an Account to write a review
 

Also Purchased

Works Details

>Weber, Carl Maria von : Symphony no 1 in C major, J. 50 (Op. 19)
  • Conductor: Sir Marriner
  • Ensemble: Academy of St. Martin in the Fields
  • Running Time: 25 min. 7 sec.
  • Period Time: Classical
  • Form: Orchestral
  • Written: 1806-1807

>Weber, Carl Maria von : Symphony no 2 in C major, J. 51
  • Conductor: Sir Marriner
  • Ensemble: Staatskapelle Dresden
  • Running Time: 17 min. 44 sec.
  • Period Time: Classical
  • Form: Orchestral
  • Written: 1807

>Weber, Carl Maria von : Konzertstück for Piano and Orchestra in F minor, Op. 79
  • Performer: Peter Rösel (Piano)
  • Conductor: Herbert Blomstedt
  • Ensemble: English Chamber Orchestra
  • Running Time: 17 min. 11 sec.
  • Period Time: Classical
  • Form: Concerto
  • Written: 1821

>Weber, Carl Maria von : Concerto for Piano no 1 in C major, J. 98 (Op. 11)
  • Conductor: Herbert Blomstedt
  • Ensemble: English Chamber Orchestra
  • Running Time: 20 min. 34 sec.
  • Period Time: Classical
  • Form: Concerto
  • Written: 1810

>Weber, Carl Maria von : Concerto for Piano no 2 in E flat major, J. 155 (Op. 32)
  • Conductor: Herbert Blomstedt
  • Ensemble: Staatskapelle Berlin
  • Running Time: 23 min. 11 sec.
  • Period Time: Classical
  • Form: Concerto
  • Written: 1811-1812

>Weber, Carl Maria von : Concerto for Clarinet no 1 in F minor, J 114/Op 73
  • Performer: Emma Johnson (Clarinet)
  • Conductor: Yan Tortelier
  • Ensemble: Staatskapelle Dresden
  • Running Time: 21 min. 19 sec.
  • Period Time: Classical
  • Form: Concerto
  • Written: 1811

>Weber, Carl Maria von : Concerto for Clarinet no 2 in E flat major, J. 118 (Op. 74)
  • Performer: Emma Johnson (Clarinet)
  • Conductor: Gerard Schwarz
  • Running Time: 22 min. 24 sec.
  • Period Time: Classical
  • Form: Concerto
  • Written: 1811

>Weber, Carl Maria von : Oberon, overture
  • Conductor: Otmar Suitner
  • Running Time: 9 min. 38 sec.
  • Period Time: Classical
  • Written: 1825-1826

>Weber, Carl Maria von : Peter Schmoll, overture to the opera
  • Conductor: Otmar Suitner
  • Running Time: 10 min. 17 sec.
  • Period Time: Classical
  • Written: 1801-1802

>Weber, Carl Maria von : Der Beherrscher der Geister (The Ruler of the Spirits), overture for orchestra, J. 122 (Op. 27) (rev
  • Conductor: Otmar Suitner
  • Running Time: 5 min. 1 sec.
  • Period Time: Classical
  • Written: 1811

>Weber, Carl Maria von : Preciosa, incidental music for soloist, chorus & orchestra, J. 279 (Op. 78) :: Overture
  • Conductor: Otmar Suitner
  • Running Time: 8 min. 26 sec.
  • Period Time: Classical
  • Written: 1820

>Weber, Carl Maria von : Jubel Overture, J 245/Op. 59
  • Conductor: Otmar Suitner
  • Running Time: 7 min. 59 sec.
  • Period Time: Classical
  • Form: Orchestral
  • Written: 1818

>Weber, Carl Maria von : Euryanthe
  • Conductor: Marek Janowski
  • Running Time: 9 min. 6 sec.
  • Period Time: Classical
  • Form: Opera/Operetta
  • Written: 1822-1823