Notes & Reviews:
- This 1998 Vienna State Opera production of Verdi's Ernani was the first in that house in more than 70 years.
- Conductor Seiji Ozawa's only Verdi Vienna premier.
- The casting was ideal, led by American tenor Neil Shicoff as Ernani and American lirico spinto soprano Michele Crider as Elvira.
American Record Guide, May/June 2014
The 1998 Ernani was Ozawa's first new production at the Vienna Opera, and to a great extent he's responsible for its success. This is a tremendously exciting performance, where the great ensembles move smartly along and the singers are perfectly balanced against the orchestra. The best of them is Michele Crider. Alvarez is a rich-voice. The stereo sound is very good, almost of studio quality.
Personnel: Benedikt Kobel, Michele Crider, Roberto Scandiuzzi, Neil Shicoff , Carlos Alvarez, Liliana Cluca , Aik Martirosyan (vocals).
Recording information: Wiener Staatsoper (12/14/1998).
ReviewsThere are currently no reviews, be the first one!
Works DetailsVerdi, Giuseppe : Ernani
- Conductor: Seiji Ozawa
- Ensemble: Vienna State Opera Orchestra
- Running Time: 57 min. 27 sec.
- Period Time: Romantic
- Form: Opera/Operetta
- Written: 1844