1 800 222 6872

Jacobean Lute Music - Works by Dowland, Robinson, Johnson, Bacheler, Hely, Gaultier / Jakob Lindberg, lute

Album Summary

>Dowland, John [Composer] : Farewell Fancy (Chromatic fantasia), for lute, P 3
>Robinson, Thomas : Merry Melancholie (12)
>Robinson, Thomas : Passamezzo Galliard, for lute
>Robinson, Thomas : Walking in a Country Town (30)
>Robinson, Thomas : A Gigue (29)
>Johnson, Robert (II) : A Pavin
>Anonymous : A Scottish Dance, for lute
>Anonymous, Jane Pickeringe's Lute Book : Drawe neare me and lowe me (from Jane Pickering Lute Book)
>Anonymous : Hence to me Molly Gray, for lute
>Anonymous : A Scottish Tune, for lute
>Anonymous, Jane Pickeringe's Lute Book : The Scottish Huntsupe (Jane Pickering Lute Book)
>Bacheler, Daniel : Mounsier's Almaine, for lute
>Hely, Cuthbert : Fantasias, (4) for lute
>Hely, Cuthbert : Sarabande for lute
>Dowland, John [Composer] : Round Battle Galliard, for lute, P 39
>Bacheler, Daniel : Prelude for lute
>Bacheler, Daniel : La jeune fillette, for lute (no 41 from Selected Works for Lute)
>Bacheler, Daniel : Courante, for lute (no 36 from Selected Works for Lute)
>Gautier, Jacques : Courante, for lute (attrib.)
>Gautier, Jacques : Cloches, for lute (attrib.)
>Bacheler, Daniel : Pavan, for lute (no 13a from Selected Works for Lute)
>Anonymous : Prelude
>Anonymous, English : John Come Kiss Me Now, for viol (from The Division-Viol)
>Johnson, Robert (II) : Fantasia for lute (from Lord Herbert of Cherbury's Lute Book)
>Robinson, Thomas : Spanish Pavan for lute
>Robinson, Thomas : A Toy
>Robinson, Thomas : Row Well, you Mariners, for lute
>Dowland, John [Composer] : Sir John Langton's Pavan, for lute
Performer Composers

Notes & Reviews:

  • A disc of Jacobean music for lute, personally selected by Mr. Lindberg.
  • Mr. Lindberg plays a lute constructed in the late 16th century, in all likelihood the oldest functional lute in existence.
  • A prolific BIS recording artist, Jakob Lindberg's done much to raise the profile of and interest in lute music from throughout the ages.
  • According to In Tune, Jakob Lindberg has maintained an unblemished track record of excellence in his field.

BBC Music Magazine, April 2014
The sound of Jakob Lindberg's lute, made by Sixtus Rauwolf in the last decade of the 16th century, is unusually warm...It a meticulously voiced recital that moves between court, theatre and tavern...Lindberg conjures an age that was as perilous as it was rich in musical invention.

Gramophone Magazine, April 2014
The lute music from this period represents some of the best ever written for the instrument...Under Lindberg's fingers, and on his beloved Sixtus Rauwolf lute (c1590), even the relatively straightforward anonymous Scottish pieces included here are imbued with the same affecting lyricism he lavishes on the [named] works.

Notes & Reviews:

Recording information: The von Bahr Studio, Svinnige, Sweden (11/2012).



Reviews

There are currently no reviews, be the first one!
Login or Create an Account to write a review
 

Also Purchased



Previous


Next


Works Details

>Dowland, John [Composer] : Farewell Fancy (Chromatic fantasia), for lute, P 3
  • Performer: Jakob Lindberg (Lute)
  • Running Time: 3 min. 12 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance

>Robinson, Thomas : Merry Melancholie (12)
  • Performer: Jakob Lindberg (Lute)
  • Running Time: 1 min. 34 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance

>Robinson, Thomas : Passamezzo Galliard, for lute
  • Performer: Jakob Lindberg (Lute)
  • Running Time: 1 min. 54 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance

>Robinson, Thomas : Walking in a Country Town (30)
  • Performer: Jakob Lindberg (Lute)
  • Period Time: Renaissance

>Robinson, Thomas : A Gigue (29)
  • Performer: Jakob Lindberg (Lute)
  • Period Time: Renaissance

>Johnson, Robert (II) : A Pavin
  • Performer: Jakob Lindberg (Lute)
  • Running Time: 7 min. 28 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance

>Anonymous : A Scottish Dance, for lute
  • Performer: Jakob Lindberg (Lute)
  • Period Time: Renaissance

>Anonymous, Jane Pickeringe's Lute Book : Drawe neare me and lowe me (from Jane Pickering Lute Book)
  • Performer: Jakob Lindberg (Lute)
  • Running Time: 1 min. 6 sec.

>Anonymous : Hence to me Molly Gray, for lute
  • Performer: Jakob Lindberg (Lute)
  • Running Time: 1 min. 19 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance

>Anonymous : A Scottish Tune, for lute
  • Performer: Jakob Lindberg (Lute)
  • Running Time: 1 min. 53 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance

>Anonymous, Jane Pickeringe's Lute Book : The Scottish Huntsupe (Jane Pickering Lute Book)
  • Performer: Jakob Lindberg (Lute)

>Bacheler, Daniel : Mounsier's Almaine, for lute
  • Performer: Jakob Lindberg (Lute)
  • Running Time: 6 min. 33 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance

>Hely, Cuthbert : Fantasias, (4) for lute
  • Performer: Jakob Lindberg (Lute)
  • Running Time: 4 min. 2 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance
  • Written: circa 1640

>Hely, Cuthbert : Sarabande for lute
  • Performer: Jakob Lindberg (Lute)
  • Running Time: 1 min. 4 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance

>Dowland, John [Composer] : Round Battle Galliard, for lute, P 39
  • Performer: Jakob Lindberg (Lute)
  • Running Time: 5 min. sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance

>Bacheler, Daniel : Prelude for lute
  • Performer: Jakob Lindberg (Lute)
  • Running Time: 1 min. 38 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance

>Bacheler, Daniel : La jeune fillette, for lute (no 41 from Selected Works for Lute)
  • Performer: Jakob Lindberg (Lute)
  • Running Time: 7 min. 58 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance

>Bacheler, Daniel : Courante, for lute (no 36 from Selected Works for Lute)
  • Performer: Jakob Lindberg (Lute)
  • Running Time: 1 min. 27 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance

>Gautier, Jacques : Courante, for lute (attrib.)
  • Performer: Jakob Lindberg (Lute)
  • Running Time: 1 min. 42 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance

>Gautier, Jacques : Cloches, for lute (attrib.)
  • Performer: Jakob Lindberg (Lute)
  • Running Time: 1 min. 24 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance

>Gautier, Jacques : Courante, for lute (attrib.)
  • Performer: Jakob Lindberg (Lute)
  • Running Time: 1 min. 42 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance

>Bacheler, Daniel : Pavan, for lute (no 13a from Selected Works for Lute)
  • Performer: Jakob Lindberg (Lute)
  • Running Time: 4 min. 19 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance

>Anonymous : Prelude
  • Performer: Jakob Lindberg (Lute)
  • Running Time: 1 min. 36 sec.

>Anonymous, English : John Come Kiss Me Now, for viol (from The Division-Viol)
  • Performer: Jakob Lindberg (Lute)
  • Running Time: 4 min. 47 sec.

>Johnson, Robert (II) : Fantasia for lute (from Lord Herbert of Cherbury's Lute Book)
  • Performer: Jakob Lindberg (Lute)
  • Running Time: 3 min. 42 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance

>Robinson, Thomas : Spanish Pavan for lute
  • Performer: Jakob Lindberg (Lute)
  • Running Time: 2 min. 48 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance

>Robinson, Thomas : A Gigue (29)
  • Performer: Jakob Lindberg (Lute)
  • Period Time: Renaissance

>Robinson, Thomas : A Toy
  • Performer: Jakob Lindberg (Lute)
  • Running Time: 1 min. 9 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance
  • Written: 1603

>Robinson, Thomas : Row Well, you Mariners, for lute
  • Performer: Jakob Lindberg (Lute)
  • Period Time: Renaissance

>Dowland, John [Composer] : Sir John Langton's Pavan, for lute
  • Performer: Jakob Lindberg (Lute)
  • Running Time: 5 min. 56 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance