Notes & Reviews:
- German tenor Jan Kobow presents Franz Schubert's Die Winterreise for his third ATMA Classique release.
- For this recording, Mr. Kobow chose to sing the song cycle in the original keys as Schubert wrote them.
- Accompanist Christoph Hammer plays an 1810 manufactured Brodmann grand piano.
- Mr. Kobow has been awarded the Deutsche Schallplattenpreis for previous recordings and many positive critical notices.
American Record Guide, May/June 2014
Hammer is a specialist in fortepiano performance. He plays a Viennese grand piano built around 1810 by Joseph Brodmann. His playing is revelatory. Kobow has one of the finest voices for lieder of any singer today. Here he sings very well and his interpretation is perfectly good.
Gramophone Magazine, September 2014
Kobow tends to stand back and let the music do much of the work - an admirable approach for a recording whose general tack is showing what's really there in the piece...You don't have to know that Kobow is a native German-speaker to feel an extra authority in the way the phrases follow the subtle lead of the text's nuances.
Recording information: Schloss Seehaus, Markt Nordheim, Germany (07/2011).
ReviewsThere are currently no reviews, be the first one!
Works DetailsSchubert, Franz : Winterreise, D 911/Op. 89
- Performers: Jan Kobow (Tenor); Christoph Hammer (Fortepiano)
- Running Time: 59 min. 18 sec.
- Period Time: Romantic
- Form: Vocal
- Written: 1827